What's new

armpit shaving tips

Hi everyone. first real post.

After educating myself into DE shaving, I got my gf into it as well. I got her a Lady and it seems to work great for her legs. However, she tried shaving her armpits and gets really bad razor burn.

aside from the basics, prep, pressure, angle, what can she do differently?

does she need to use a separate different razor or blade?

any other thoughts? thanks in advance.

Nope, hair is hair, skin is skin. The same principles apply no matter where you're shaving, except that armpits are a bit more awkward to reach so pressure and angle might be off a bit.

I do my pits every week or so (sweat and odor control), and even knowing how to do a perfect face shave it took me 3 or 4 tries to figure it out.

I shave my pits as well i use oliveology shave gel and a different blade for my pits and chest than i use for my face. When im done i put witch hazel under my arms and thats it. It could be blade angle but i would try using a different blade. keep a blade for pits and then one just for legs.

The reason i do this is that my facial hair is very rigid,touch, and thick, i found that if i used the same blade to shave my armpits and chest that i used to shave my face that it looked like i performed a blood letting. I had weepers all over. So i decided to use a different blade and the results improved i didnt get the weepers. The reason i believe is that the hair on my face is so coarse that it ,shapes the blade,( causes micro-scopic burrs).

Same thing happens if a man picks up a womans razor that she uses to shave her legs and he shaves his face with it.I guess eventually if i keep shaving my armpit hair it will get toucher and become more like my facial hair if that ever happens then i will use the same blade.

Last edited:
I use the same blade for my legs and pits. Need little pressure. Angle has a lot to do with it though. You can go vertical and horizontal but I dont advise going at an angle until she has her technique down really well...just too much room for error. A different blade for the pits is not necessary unless the skin us unusually sensitive there. Most women do not have a problem though. It is usually technique and pressure that are the issues. Also, what type of cream, gel, soap, etc. is she using??? That could also be the problem. There may not be enough lubrication and the skin may be "sticking to the blade" causing the irritation, thus, the razor burn. I have had this happen to me with a bad batch of lather. It did okay on my legs but got razor burn under my arms. Just something to think about.

My wife uses my first SE...single edge razor..just bought her an injector razor...try those..NO blade flex like de

It does help control the wetness, and odor because the hair isn't there soaking it in like a sponge. I've been able to switch from using an antipersperant to using just a deodorant.

Clayton

My wife uses a Lady Gillette on her legs and a Schick Injector on her armpits.

+1--- I'm his wife. This works beautifully for me. I was having a lot of trouble getting a good/comfortable shave with my DE but the injector is great for underarm area. However, it's a bit too aggressive for my legs. So I use two different razors- hey, it's all about what works best for you! Good luck.

From no burn with a disposable to some burn with a double edge indicates to me that she simply applied too much pressure. I don't think there's anyone who went from disposable to DE who didn't make that perfectly understandable error.

I guess eventually if i keep shaving my armpit hair it will get toucher and become more like my facial hair if that ever happens then i will use the same blade.

Won't happen!

The idea that repeated shaving causes the whiskers to toughen is based on a misunderstanding. As young men we shave off light growth (generally a bit earlier than we ought to in our enthusiasm to be grown up). As our hormones kick in so our beard growth thickens. This thickening coincides with the regular shaving which is thus seen as the cause. If shaving were the cause of increased, stronger whisker growth then ladies would be growing very stubbly legs and underarms and taking even more time in the bathroom every morning!

Last edited:
Won't happen!

The idea that repeated shaving causes the whiskers to toughen is based on a misunderstanding. As young men we shave off light growth (generally a bit earlier than we ought to in our enthusiasm to be grown up). As our hormones kick in so our beard growth thickens. This thickening coincides with the regular shaving which is thus seen as the cause. If shaving were the cause of increased, stronger whisker growth then ladies would be growing very stubbly legs and underarms and taking even more time in the bathroom every morning!
Thank you for that clarification.

Does shaving your pits really help with the stench? If it does, I may have to think about doing it myself.

Yes, with a proviso - you sweat just as much, but the sweat is no longer getting caught in the hairs and breeding bacteria (which is what causes odor) so you don't get stinky. HOWEVER, the sweat can get soaked up into your shirt instead and if you don't have good airflow (say, wearing a sweater or a jacket) by the end of the day your shirt can get pretty rank.

This may help...

I find the hand behind on the lower neck position (like patting yourself on the back) works well as skin stretching is needed. A DE or an injector works quite well; just pay attention to blade angle with DE so you don't cut or scrape the underarm. Goo from a can however, may not be as comfy as brush soap and proper wet shaving. A pre-shave of oliveology or RazoRock brushless before applying lather makes things even easier. Oh, and watch the pressure! The temptation will be to press down too much to get every nook and cranny. 4-direction shaving will get everything, just go lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife uses a Lady Gillette on her legs but found a Single Ring Open Comb razor worked better on her armpits. She also has some sort of crazy blade rotation between her legs and armpits that I have yet to understand.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Remember in the pits it isn't necessary to get BBS or even DFS. An adjustable on 1 or 2 works great but watch the pressure. A little gentle "Blade buffing" helps to clear the long hairs out of the razor. Me, I use a straight and my regular soap and brush. DON'T use a spike or square tip! Don't even try to use a frownie! In fact, a smiling edge might be a good thing here. If you leave a little stubble or a few wild hairs behind, really, not many folks will notice. And it DOES help considerably with odor. It's not just a chick thing. When the hair is out about 1/4" I whack it off. Don't try an electric, whatever you do. You will be sorry! Carts clog up immediately and break me out. A DE works for me but a straight works better. Oh, and the only deodorant I use is my alum block. Anything else just stinks worse than I do, to my nose.

I use a Sensor Excel and try to keep up with my pits every month or so before they get overgrown.

Pretty much for what Chris says. It helps deodorant hit my skin and work as it's intended, plus it makes my daily routine smoother.

I can use less antiperspirant and get better personal hygiene. I don't worry about getting things BBS or anything. I used to use clippers, but then, I wouldn't feel right clipping my head with them after that. Plus I cut myself a few times using clippers to trim. A clean shave now and them keeps the jungle under control.

I don't shave my arms, legs, chest, or back though. I remember as a teenager being told that trimming my pits was part of staying clean and dry by my older brother and cousin. I thought most guys did it. One day in my early twenties while changing at a gym a guy asked me with a look of shock on his face is I shaved my pits. I said, "of course I do, doesn't everybody?"

Top Bottom