What's new

Are unscented soaps superior?

As the acute among you may have deduced from the title I'd like to prompt a discussion concerning performance of unscented soaps compared to their scented counterparts of the same base.
I've been going through a great many samples; often varying scents(or lack thereof) of the same base. I've been noticing subtle differences with unscented soaps particularly in latherability. If there is such a distinction then it is not an extreme one. I also recognize the phenomena of both confirmation bias and the placebo effect and recognize the possiblity of such influences here.
We know aroma and fragrance oils effect the stability of a soap. This is why all extremely Mentholated soaps are oft unscented(Cryogen, Snakebite) so it's not unreasonable to consider the possibility that unscented soaps may not be quite the exact same formula as the scented soaps minus fragrance oils.

I'm interested in exploring people's thoughts and experiences on this matter.

I generally use unscented soaps. My skin is pretty sensitive to addedfragrances/scents as seem to light my face up like the fires of Hades.

Surprisingly, some of the soaps I do use, that seem to irritate most people, are completely fine for me. Almond scents like Cella and citrus I’m totally fine with - my face seems to love it. Yet, any other fragrance soap just burns and burns.

Stirling’s “Naked and Smooth” is my Gold Standard when it comes to unscented. I haven found any that have rivaled it so far.

I generally use unscented soaps. My skin is pretty sensitive to addedfragrances/scents as seem to light my face up like the fires of Hades.

Surprisingly, some of the soaps I do use, that seem to irritate most people, are completely fine for me. Almond scents like Cella and citrus I’m totally fine with - my face seems to love it. Yet, any other fragrance soap just burns and burns.

Stirling’s “Naked and Smooth” is my Gold Standard when it comes to unscented. I haven found any that have rivaled it so far.
Is that their bovine or mutton base?

I’m really into beard oils these days and typically buy unscented beard balm/butter then scent it w the different oils I have. I’m thinking about doing the same for soaps. Buy unscented than mix in my fav beard oils.

I’m really into beard oils these days and typically buy unscented beard balm/butter then scent it w the different oils I have. I’m thinking about doing the same for soaps. Buy unscented than mix in my fav beard oils.
You don't notice a performance difference after having done so?

Have you tried Stirling Sheep? It is my go to soap. I have not tried the Naked and smooth.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I like a good smell constantly, it is better than the alternative. Did I get the intent of the thread right. :eek2::eek2::eek2:

FWIW, to me, the pleasant scent is an inalienable part of the shaving experience.

I like soaps and creams with strong scent, so I have never tried any unscented shaving soap.

That being said, with the variety A&E croaps, SV hard triple-milled soaps and Cella creams, TO ME, any discussion on performance is all but futile.

I know, I know - YMMV 😂

I would not say that WK's Bare Naked performs differently than any of the 6-7 scented WK soaps I've used. Or at least, not to any discernible degree I might notice in the course of shaving.
I do prefer the unscented version though. I prefer a subtle 'soapy' essence from a plain soap to most of the high-impact fragrances that most makers offer today.
Crowne & Crane's Northwoods has what I'd call a lighter type of scent; and it seems to perform on par with their unscented soap.

In theory, perhaps the addition of fragrance might affect lathering, as you're diluting the foaming ingredients a bit. In practice, I've never noticed any difference between scented and unscented soaps of the same base from the same maker. Stirling and MdC are the two I have experience with. Now, if only there was an unscented ARKO stick... :001_rolle

+1- Stirling Sheep is a lovely unscented soap- very easy to lather, nice face feel both during and after the shave, and a pretty good bang for the buck.

I prefer the strong scented ones but I keep some low or unscented stuff to shave with some strong scented paa pre shave cubes which overpower some soaps.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The original; made in The Netherlands; Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite was a hard, triple-milled soap. I believe CBL’s Man Oh Manthol is also a hard soap. Croaps get used up faster, so I think that’s the bigger softening component than the menthol.

The ingredients added to scented soaps can make them more or less slick, but I doubt it’d be to a noticeable degree nor something that couldn’t be matched with unscented soaps/creams by adjusting the soap:water amounts.

Please allow me to join the angry mob singing praises of Stirling’s “Naked and Smooth” and “Unscented with Beeswax” soaps. “Naked and Smooth” has almond oil (only matters for people avoiding unsolicited salicylates - or preferring them…), but it’s also more unforgiving of using
too little water. “Unscented with Beeswax” is unscented, slick awesomeness, but only after the water bill is paid.

I really like the unscented versions of soaps. I like soap commander and mystic water. I can’t tell a difference and I tend to get less sick of a soap if scent isn’t too strong. Unscented soaps still have a smell to me but they often smell like oil or mild floral

Top Bottom