What's new

Are these shoes magnificent & timeless or just garish?

Are the shoes styling?

• Yes, they are awesome

• No, they are not so awesome

Results are only viewable after voting.
They are a little trendy, and for $200, without the ability to resole them, it's throwing money away. Go with a classic. Spend 50 to 75 more and get a shoe that can be resoled. BTW, there is nothing wrong with wearing lace dress shoes with jeans. then you have shoes that can go business, as well as casual. If you are mid twenties, chasing cougars, they'll just think you have great taste in shoes, and are too successful and busy to shop for trendy stuff.

Yes there is. :skep:

I like a slip on for the casual sneaker. Also, I don't like shiny non dress shoes for some odd reason. Boots are different. I wear these Hush Puppies as my casual sneak:

proxy.php

I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say that those shoes are awesome. I don't think I'd wear them in any sort of semi-formal setting but for going out to a bar? Definitely. Pair them with some nice, dark, indigo jeans and a thin dark grey wool long sleeved shirt a'la this (the steel heather grey one is nice looking) and maybe a scarf a'la this (dark striped or black) and that would be a slick looking getup.

I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say that those shoes are awesome. I don't think I'd wear them in any sort of semi-formal setting but for going out to a bar? Definitely. Pair them with some nice, dark, indigo jeans and a thin dark grey wool long sleeved shirt a'la this (the steel heather grey one is nice looking) and maybe a scarf a'la this (dark striped or black) and that would be a slick looking getup.

A scarf? Seriously?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've always disliked shoes like that, which seem to suffer from some target-market-shift. What I mean is they look like they are designed for the 23-year-old hip crew just entering the workforce and trying to find a youthfull identity rather than wearing their father's shoes and driving their father's cadilac.

But inevitably they end up being worn by your typical office drone, 38 years old, pot-bellied, wearing baggy pleated dockers, a poly-blend dress shirt, a polyester tie with either a garrish design or a cartoon charater on it, and no jacket (but he does have some sports-related polyester bomber-jacket for when he goes outside.

By adding a few 'fashion forward' accents to this shoe, Puma has made the shoe the province of the Eurotrash version of the office drone mentioned above.

The B&B has spoken. While I disagree with those that say the shoe is ugly and can't be worn with anything, I do agree that the shoe may or may not still be cool in three years. Add the price tag, and it doesn't look good for the shoe.

Anyway, the price tag is too much for something that isn't timeless, so I went with a couple of classics. And picked up a loafer too, and I've still got $50 to spare after all is said & done.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandro-Moscol...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1258848921&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/CONVERSE-Jack...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1258849073&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Converse-Purc...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1258849308&sr=1-4 (in brown)

I think those are kind of cool indeed. If you're young, they'd indeed look great with jeans.

Having said that, there is the logical side of me that doesn't think Puma is a dress shoe company and that they are a bit trendy. If they can't be resoled, the clock is ticking when you put them on. Which kind of doesn't matter because by the time they're ready for repair, Puma will have moved on to an entirely different look. Not wild about them embossing their logo on what they're billing as a somewhat dressy shoe either.

LOL at the Eurotrash comment earlier...my taste can quickly run that way if I let it.

Just because we've got you shaving like grandpa, doesn't mean you have to dress like him. I think with the back and forth here, it comes down to what you want and can afford. I see lots of guys in your age range at my company wearing shoes with that similar "fancy bowling shows" kind of look.

They could work for you, but know they're a bit trendy going in...and understand in a couple of years it may be a fashion faux pas to wear them.

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

Get some loafers instead. THey work with jeans and slacks. Pick a brown.

My current favorites are RedWing casual shoes in black. No matter how a shoe looks, my first criteria is comfort.

To answer your question with an old cliche ... "If the shoe fits, wear it."

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ok, being evasive, I wouldn't hit my neighbors dog in the arse with those shoes. But then tastes vary, butt jeez those are ugly

Top Bottom