What's new

Are counterfeit blades a thing?

I read from time to time, on this forum and others, about counterfeit DE razor blades. Is that even a thing? Considering the typical per blade retail price for these blades, the profit margins have to be so (pardon the pun) razor thin, that I can't imagine it could be very lucrative. Maybe for feathers since they tend to be pricey for a DE blade, though I'd think knockoff cartridge razor blades would probably be the way to go.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I'd think they're not manufacturing the blades, just printing labels on stolen/cheaply acquired factory rejects/etc... would still take a pretty tremendous volume to strike it rich though!

Razors there'd be/is a ton of money to be made, blades are so cheap I think the operation would cost more than the profits. Not to mention what depths of hell you'd have to go on the internet to even find fakes with all the reputable outlets.

I don't claim expertise in this matter. However, there's a lot of DE blades made in Russia that have worldwide demand. With the current financial slash geopolitical situation (certain currencies not allowed in or out of Russia), a lot of that production has stopped or been moved to other locations. Seems like that would be a ripe market for counterfeiting. Gonna have to be careful.

I'd think they're not manufacturing the blades, just printing labels on stolen/cheaply acquired factory rejects/etc... would still take a pretty tremendous volume to strike it rich though!
This is probably the most plausible possibility I've heard yet. Given the tooling necessary to produce blades it is, to my mind, inconceivable that anyone would think counterfeiting razorblades would be profitable. Profiting on seconds, rejects, and discards however is distinctly probable, in my opinion.

I don't claim expertise in this matter. However, there's a lot of DE blades made in Russia that have worldwide demand. With the current financial slash geopolitical situation (certain currencies not allowed in or out of Russia), a lot of that production has stopped or been moved to other locations. Seems like that would be a ripe market for counterfeiting. Gonna have to be careful.

With P&G supposedly discontinuing production of blades in the St. Petersberg plant, and the demand and popularity for the ruskie blades being as high as it is, I can see that happening.

Yes, I can confirm I have used fake Bic Chrome Platinums from Vietnam before. The packaging was subtly different (print quality and paper type) but the shave was awful.

There is also a thread on a Chinese language Baidu forum discussing this. They are premium blades in China that go for a premium price, so of course, there are copycats.

I have also purchased some vintage Bic CP lookalikes (but different text and brand) that were also rotten.

This is a scary thread.
Hope its not really hapening.

I’m no expert. However, if packaging was copied exactly identical then to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, one has to go microscopic level.

Has to check material, coating used etc. Otherwise could always be blame to many different factors.

if its a reject from manufacturing plant that is being sold by others then its not technically counter fit but a lesser kind which failed QA.

Big companies won’t risk releasing rejects which can cause reputable harm in return. They would rather recycle it back than to release it out there.

Anyways, I really hope no such thing is happening.

Last edited:
Yes, I can confirm I have used fake Bic Chrome Platinums from Vietnam before. The packaging was subtly different (print quality and paper type) but the shave was awful.

There is also a thread on a Chinese language Baidu forum discussing this. They are premium blades in China that go for a premium price, so of course, there are copycats.

I have also purchased some vintage Bic CP lookalikes (but different text and brand) that were also rotten.

Crap. Along with Personna Comfort Coated, those Bic CP's are my go to blade. They've actually become my number 1. I guess it makes buying from a known, reputable vendor all the more important. While I generally prefer to buy as little as possible from Amazon these days, Bic has a "store" on Amazon, so that may be a good source for legit blades.

Take your pick from third world economies in Asia, and despite the wealth along the coast, China.

Buddy just returned from Estrali, Nicaragua on Cigar Factory Tour. Workers in the in Cigar factory’s make like 10 bucks a day.

Most live in home with no running water, or bathrooms. Dirt floor, and corrugated metal construction.

Buddy said not many people 60 plus. Poor people.

This is a scary thread.
Hope its not really hapening.

I’m no expert. However, if packaging was copied exactly identical then to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, one has to go microscopic level.

Has to check material, coating used etc. Otherwise could always be blame to many different factors.

if its a reject from manufacturing plant that is being sold by others then its not technically counter fit but a lesser kind which failed QA.

Big companies won’t risk releasing rejects which can cause reputable harm in return. They would rather recycle it back than to release it out there.

Anyways, I really hope no such thing is happening.

What manufacturer actually recycles in-house? That costs money. Rejects are sold off for scrap (that is their way of recycling), which is where and how the blades reenter the market as "counterfeits." If anyone is to blame it's the scrap dealers and/or "recyclers" selling off for a quick buck what look like perfectly good products to shady characters rather than actually melting them down to start the process anew. Next would be unscrupulous distributors and wholesalers who buy from shady sources rather than legit manufacturers. Cynical I know, but that's probably a good guess as to how it works. It's simply ludicrous in my opinion to think that someone in a rural third-world sweat shop obtained blade making tooling and machinery and actively gets supplies of stock and the raw materials to pop out bogus DE blades by the thousands at less than a fraction of a cent apiece (wholesale). As always, I'd be glad to be wrong. Anybody up for some investigative journalism to expose the dark underworld that is bootleg DE razor blade manufacturing. Video of the raid would suit nicely.

I think that in China for example, it’s more choking the competition at a loss to later on raise prices. I purchased 100 Flydear for 0,47 cents shipping included. Where is the profit in that? They are ok with that because their whole system is so weird that they still show profits. Meanwhile, other companies sell less and less.

Are there fake blades? Lots of threads with that question.

With P&G supposedly discontinuing production of blades in the St. Petersberg plant, and the demand and popularity for the ruskie blades being as high as it is, I can see that happening.
Who told you P&G are discontinuing manufacturing blades in St. Petersburg?
Only a few blades have been moved to China and India (the ones intended for Europe and the US). The majority of DE blade models are still being manufactured at PPI.

Are there fake blades? Lots of threads with that question.

Who told you P&G are discontinuing manufacturing blades in St. Petersburg?
Only a few blades have been moved to China and India (the ones intended for Europe and the US). The majority of DE blade models are still being manufactured at PPI.
Do you have good information on this?

Crap. Along with Personna Comfort Coated, those Bic CP's are my go to blade. They've actually become my number 1. I guess it makes buying from a known, reputable vendor all the more important. While I generally prefer to buy as little as possible from Amazon these days, Bic has a "store" on Amazon, so that may be a good source for legit blades.
Although it may be possible the fakes to show up on Amazon, I have to to experience this. I did just buy 400 when they were on sale for $13/100 and will not have access to them for a bit.

However, I do recommend you buy them from trusted sources such as RBC. They are worth paying a few bucks more.

Top Bottom