What's new

Are Basic Numbers and Letters Even Taught in School Anymore?

Is the next logical step of just having the customer push these buttons so bad?
I hate self-serve kiosks and self-checkout. Besides the principle of it (no discount for working as their cashier), they are typically designed to force a very slow cadence with multiple presses per item. Allow me to enter my items as fast as I’m capable of (or at least as fast as a cash register), and MAYBE I’ll consider it.

You people do know ridiculous you sound, complaining about "kids these days", right?

That is the single oldest element of common culture.
It's what holds society together.
It's been recorded for thousands of years,
but probably goes back to the stone age
and possibly as far back as ancestral species.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”​

― Socrates

They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.
(Aristotle)

Reactions: d_e
To be fair, many kiosk menus are specifically designed to be easiest for those spending more and harder for those spending less.
They ought to have a quick order button for something as simple as coffee, to get folks out of the way faster to allow the next order to go in.
Agree somewhat, regarding the speed of ordering one item, however the franchisees would miss out on potential impulse sales of other items. Kind of one sided, where it favors $$ over customer convenience.

Hand WRITTEN thank you notes, or thank you notes of any kind are non- existent for the most part.
Younger generation now uses e-mail, or even texts, to send thank you notes.
So impersonal!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I hate self-serve kiosks and self-checkout. Besides the principle of it (no discount for working as their cashier), they are typically designed to force a very slow cadence with multiple presses per item. Allow me to enter my items as fast as I’m capable of (or at least as fast as a cash register), and MAYBE I’ll consider it.
There’s always the drive thru 😂😃
Hand WRITTEN thank you notes, or thank you notes of any kind are non- existent for the most part.
Younger generation now uses e-mail, or even texts, to send thank you notes.
So impersonal!
Plenty of “older generation” don’t even respond to acknowledge receipt of a gift let alone a thank you. It’s not just age and it’s not everyone. I guess it’s ymmv. ☺️

There’s always the drive thru 😂😃

Plenty of “older generation” don’t even respond to acknowledge receipt of a gift let alone a thank you. It’s not just age and it’s not everyone. I guess it’s ymmv. ☺️

I had to learn the special language code for Wendy's drive through
for the bacon double cheeseburger.
I had to say "add mustard", "add pickle" .

If I said Extra instead of Add, it was as though I had deconstructed the entire burger
and they would ask about the bacon and the cheese.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I had to learn the special language code for Wendy's drive through
for the bacon double cheeseburger.
I had to say "add mustard", "add pickle" .

If I said Extra instead of Add, it was as though I had deconstructed the entire burger
and they would ask about the bacon and the cheese.
Funny
At a sandwich shop the other day a guy I was with ordered a steak and cheese with just cheese. Meaning no mushrooms onions and peppers shown on the menu. Anyway I got that but the shop guy was totally confused and thought he wanted a steak and cheese with just cheese. Meaning just a cheese sandwich. It’s not just fast food which I try to avoid. But I have also given in or given up. Any special order is just too
Much bother. Or they make you wait out of line. Or they ask too many questions. Once I just said okay just give me whatever. However it comes I don’t care. But I have a bad attitude.

Over the years I’ve had probably 100s of egg and cheese bagel sandwiches from a local shop. Recently when I was ordering the guy asked me what kind of cheese. That was the first time that ever came up. I was stumped. I just said however you usually do it.

That is the single oldest element of common culture.
It's what holds society together.
It's been recorded for thousands of years,
but probably goes back to the stone age
and possibly as far back as ancestral species.
As a gen Xer, I'm amused by millennials now giving out about gen Zers. Reminds me of when we were complaining about millennials and no doubt how boomers were complaining about us.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As a gen Xer, I'm amused by millennials now giving out about gen Zers. Reminds me of when we were complaining about millennials and no doubt how boomers were complaining about us.

I think everyone hates millennials! :lol1:

There are some great people and some slugs in every generation.
I know a lot of millennials who are down to earth, hardworking folk.
But the stereotype is there for a reason unfortunately.

Have to agree. I remember growing up in the late 60's, and into the 70's, and people saying that "these hippies" give no hope to the future. I had brothers in this "hippie" group and did quite well for themselves.

We will survive all of this!

You realize you're posting a rant about other people posting a rant, right?
Your post is no different than anyone who posted here.
I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to solve the worlds problems.
Some discussions are just fun to participate in.
Honestly, I don't understand why some folks feel a need to criticize others for behavior they themselves display.
If a thread is civil and not outside the bounds of the T.O.U., and you don't like it - then don't read it, and don't post in it.
If it IS outside the bounds of our guidelines here, report it.

I was extra cranky last night :)

The young lady I mentioned in post #59 did have to have her manager read the brand name off of one of the guitars I sold to the store. She couldn’t read cursive. The headstock had Paul Reed Smith’s signature on it.
I don’t know Paul Reed Smith‘s signature but I do have some sports memorabilia autographs that I don’t remember whom the signature was from and takes me a while to decipher.
Funny
At a sandwich shop the other day a guy I was with ordered a steak and cheese with just cheese. Meaning no mushrooms onions and peppers shown on the menu. Anyway I got that but the shop guy was totally confused and thought he wanted a steak and cheese with just cheese. Meaning just a cheese sandwich. It’s not just fast food which I try to avoid. But I have also given in or given up. Any special order is just too
Much bother. Or they make you wait out of line. Or they ask too many questions. Once I just said okay just give me whatever. However it comes I don’t care. But I have a bad attitude.

Over the years I’ve had probably 100s of egg and cheese bagel sandwiches from a local shop. Recently when I was ordering the guy asked me what kind of cheese. That was the first time that ever came up. I was stumped. I just said however you usually do it.
Well having witnessed my uncle, many, many, many moons ago order two cheeseburgers with no cheese at McDonald’s sometimes the customer is to blame. So you want two hamburgers? No two cheeseburgers No cheese. Granted it was a brain fart but it was funny none the less.

In light of everyone’s, including myself, stories of idiocy, I will admit that my intelligence is not quite a bag of rocks but slightly higher than a warm potato. I’m “old school” when I used to work registers. Say your total, say the amount you gave me, confirm with total of $21.22 out of $50, put the tendered cash on top of my register drawer, prepare the change, add up your change verbally to you .78 makes 23, 2 for 25 and on. Then customer digs out some change and totally threw me off.

The inability to read simple numbers is getting contagious. Amazon's had the most screw-ups since we downsized from our house to apartment 2+ years ago. As I posted last week, on our 1st overnight trip since moving, grubhub left 2 pizzas and bag of food meant for #500 at our outside apartment door #300. The ants had a field day in those 20 hours. Thankfully ours wasn't a 2 week trip. Running low on my favorite outside ant killer, I ordered 2 more cans from domyown. They were delivered today by FedEx to apartment #500. :mad2:

If anyone has an ant or carpenter ant problem at their house, pm me for a recommendation before wasting hundreds on an exterminator like I once did. Exterminators only reduce the numbers by baiting inside, not eliminating the problem before they get into the house.

Rule of fast food #1: Order off the menu. It's the nature of the business that they're producing standardized food as fast as possible and asking for special orders is just introducing a point of failure into the system. I don't like ketchup, so do I order a Quarter Pounder no ketchup? Hell no, I get a Big Mac. "My way" is "not f'd up".

Rule of fast food #2: Don't order a drink that's the same color as something awful someone else in your party ordered. If they get a diet rhubarb Dr. Pepper, get a Sprite so there's no chance of getting a mouthful of the swill that was meant for them.

Top Bottom