What's new

Are all Bay Rums this sweet-smelling?

I've got Ogallala Bay's Bay Rum aftershave and, while I like the basic scent overall (not to mention how well it works) it's awfully sweet-smelling for my tastes, especially when first applied.

Is there a Bay Rum brand (or variant) out there that has the spice but not the sugar?

NANP™

I've got Ogallala Bay's Bay Rum aftershave and, while I like the basic scent overall (not to mention how well it works) it's awfully sweet-smelling for my tastes, especially when first applied.

Is there a Bay Rum brand (or variant) out there that has the spice but not the sugar?

NANP™

Try Pinaud.

I find Dominica pretty sweet and kinda "food-like" - like you could almost put the stuff on ice cream.

Royall Bay Rhum was much less like that, more like a cologne.

What he said. In some ways, it reminds me of Old Spice Original.

Funny you said that. I splashed on Pinaud Bay Rum this morning and as a refresher at work later in the day I splashed on some OS. The scents are very similar. I don't know about comparing the sweet smells as I've never tried any other bay rum brand. I think Pinaud and OS are both mildly sweet.

Funny you said that. I splashed on Pinaud Bay Rum this morning and as a refresher at work later in the day I splashed on some OS. The scents are very similar. I don't know about comparing the sweet smells as I've never tried any other bay rum brand. I think Pinaud and OS are both mildly sweet.

I actually have gotten into the habit of splashing both on at the same time, they go VERY well together.

Meehans Bay Rhum is a drier,crisper scent than the Ogallala.It's handmade in small batches by a company named Bonny Doon Farms.It's also reasonably priced.

Meehans Bay Rhum is a drier,crisper scent than the Ogallala.It's handmade in small batches by a company named Bonny Doon Farms.It's also reasonably priced.

I also like Meehan's (from Bonny Doon Farms, I think) - and it has very clean bay rum scent, and seems to last for at least a few hours. If you want to try a range of bay rums, you might want to consider the bay rum sampler from Barclay Crocker. It doesn't include some of the drugstore bay rums like pinaud and masters, but it does have others like dominica, Meehans, Taylors, St. Johns, etc. Some are colognes and some seem to be more like aftershaves - but it gives you a decent idea of the range of scents for bay rums.

I would go with the TOBS or the C. O. Bigelow. The Bigelow is quite a bit different, and I wouldn't consider it "sweet" in the least. The Pinaud was just a bit too clovey for me.

Thanks for all the responses!

ColbyPants sent me a couple sample vials (we joined via the same cigar forum, where we've been members for years now) and between the two (Trumper's and Col. Conk's) I think the Conk's is, if not the ticket, at least headed in the right direction.

So . . . more like that? I'll probably try the Pinaud next, for sure, since I already like Clubman so much.

NANP™

Top Bottom