What's new

Ardbeg Ardbog Review

Ardbog Review

Last week I got my hands on two bottles of the limited Ardbog. At retail price. The whisky arrived today, and I thought I’d do a review of it. I just typed away as I drank it though.

There are weeks where I don’t touch a bottle of a peated Single Malt from Islay, but rather enjoy the fine products of the Scottish Highlands (or the Isle of Jura, like recently with the Diurach’s Own). There are Months however, where I drink the peaty Islanders exclusively. Be it some Lagavulin, Laphroig, Talisker, Caol Isla or of course Ardbeg - as long as it’s peated. So, I’m no stranger to the olfactory sensation of nosing a peated Whisky. I literally took a step back as I smelled the Ardbog for the first time though. The vacuum produced by pulling out the cork released enough Aroma to proof that Dr. Bill Lumsden, the Mastermind behind the Ardbeg and Glenmorangie Whiskies was not kidding when he said the Ardbog was all about the peat. There’s more to it than just peat though. When I read of “savoury notes, like Iberico ham and olives”, Bill Lumsden even mentioned Sardines, I thought it was marketing hogwash. Ardbeg is better than that though, and I should’ve known it. Those notes are really there. In fact, even before one drop of it hit the glass, I was taken back to last years summer vacation to Andalusia and the Algarve, where they grilled sardines basically outside every restaurant, especially on the beach... the complementary olives... the cold, salty, atlantic breeze on the tepid evenings in Lagos... After this sensory time travel I wondered if it is just a coincidence that with Peter Capaldi the new Doctor is a Scotsman. Now that I was back from the Iberian Peninsula, it was time for a taste. Despite it’s 52.1% ABV, I decided to try it neat at first. Right decision. Despite it’s strength, the Ardbog is surprisingly smooth; salivation sets in quickly. It picks up in the tasting right where it left off in the nosing - the salty, savory notes continue. Time for a drop of water. Like I remember from the Airigh Nam Beist, the Ardbog opens up really well with the added water - the peat makes way for a plethora of herbal and some mineral notes that blend in really well with the saltiness. The finish is long and sweet, almost syrupy, and bringing back some of the leathery notes I didn’t mention in the nosing earlier a little bit.

This is surely one of the best Whiskies I’ve ever had - probably number two after the Airigh Nam Beist and pushing the Aberlour A’bunadh (batch no. 37) to the third place.

And lucky for you guys, the second bottle is for sale :)

Slàinte!

- Stefan

Sounds wonderful. I'm excited 'cause yesterday I finally got my hands on a bottle of Talisker 18, which is on its way to me.

The special releases always interested me but the costs are always exhorbitant (at least where I live). I do love Ardbeg Ten, which to my taste is the best peated Islay standard bottling for the money (I'm a big Bunnahabhain fan too, but that is a sherried dram).

+1 on the A'Bunadh. My fav was batch 39.

Thanks. Enjoy that Talisker Viseguy- I just googled it, looks like good purchase :001_smile

@ 9 Iron: Well, I was lucky enough to get 2 bottles at 75€ each, and currently they go for 110€-130€ at ebay. So the plan is to keep one and sell one for profit :)

If you're looking for a peated bargain, get the Ledaig 10. It costs about 30€, is not chillfiltered, bottled at a very respectable 46,3% ABV and they could easily sell it for more. Not from Islay though, but from the Isle of Mull. I highly recommend it.

Thanks. Enjoy that Talisker Viseguy- I just googled it, looks like good purchase :001_smile

@ 9 Iron: Well, I was lucky enough to get 2 bottles at 75€ each, and currently they go for 110€-130€ at ebay. So the plan is to keep one and sell one for profit :)

If you're looking for a peated bargain, get the Ledaig 10. It costs about 30€, is not chillfiltered, bottled at a very respectable 46,3% ABV and they could easily sell it for more. Not from Islay though, but from the Isle of Mull. I highly recommend it.

I have seen this, and haven't ever heard a peep about it, i'm looking forward to it now.

Hi Josh!

Sadly, I was too slow for the Galileo. Those limited editions do sell out quickly...
Let me know how you like the Ledaig :001_smile

Sounds like a good value. I'll add it to my list. :wink:

I will keep an eye out for this, thanks.

Interesting how I managed to turn my Ardbog review into a thread about the Ledaig :laugh:
Maybe I'll make a separate thread about the Ledaig sometime. I should participate more here anyway, my English writing skills could do with some honing.

- Stefan

Interesting how I managed to turn my Ardbog review into a thread about the Ledaig :laugh:
Maybe I'll make a separate thread about the Ledaig sometime. I should participate more here anyway, my English writing skills could do with some honing.

- Stefan

Stefan, I hope you do make a separate thread about the Ledaig as well as participate here more often.

Top Bottom