What's new

Aramis shave soap

Folks, What is the deal with Aramis shave soap. Not a lot of chatter in this forum about it...

* How is it's performance?

* Got tallow?

It pops up on the Bay every now and that is what got me thinking about it. There is a puck out there right now but it is spendy. I have also seen it on line in stock by various e-tailers.

I gots to know........

I was also curious about this soap, and found an ingredient list on another site:

Sodium palmate/cocoate or palm kernelate - potassium stearate/cocoate or palm kernelate - water (aqua purificata) purified - aramis fragrance (parfum) - glycerin - sodium chloride - coconut acid - talc - pentasodium pentetate - tetrasodium etidronate - bht - benzyl alcohol - linalool - geraniol - citral - eugenol - limonene - alpha-isomethyl ionone - evernia furfuracea (treemoss) extract - hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde - hexyl cinnamal - citronellol - titanium dioxide (CI 77891) - yellow 10 lake (CI 47005) - iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) <iln26920>

No tallow = not worth the price, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't buy it for the scent.:thumbdown

Today I had a look here at John Lewis (UK) and I can confirm that the Aramis soaps they were selling had no tallow in them. Might be a recent reformulation.

Alex

Recently picked a couple of these up from a local shop.

VERY nice scent. The lather dries a bit too quickly for my liking.

Still widely available - although reformulated.

Last edited:
I have a boxed puck on hand and indeed it does list the first ingredient as tallowate.

I started using Aramis when it was first introduced in 1965. I still stock the cologne among those I use. Many products in this line have been discontinued over the years. I miss the moisturizing lotion which also served as a nice balm. I still have a large cylinder of talc as well as this single remaining shaving puck.
It, along with the tallow Old Spice puck, was a staple in my shaving in decades past.

I have a very nice vintage Aramis shave mug, the remnant of some long-ago Christmas gift, I'm sure. But the soap itself is long gone. I've always liked the scent of Aramis, but never realized the original soap had a tallow base. I guess I'll need to keep an eye out for NOS, just to rekindle old memories.

Top Bottom