What's new

Aramis shave soap

Folks, What is the deal with Aramis shave soap. Not a lot of chatter in this forum about it...

* How is it's performance?

* Got tallow?

It pops up on the Bay every now and that is what got me thinking about it. There is a puck out there right now but it is spendy. I have also seen it on line in stock by various e-tailers.

I gots to know........

I believe it is tallow based, my first hunch is that it would be produced by the same folks who are cooking up the Ralph Lauren Soaps...

im especially interested because of ClubmanRob's post on Aramis which should go down in the B&B history books.

The pucks of Ralph Lauren and Aramis look very different in shape and consistency. Still could be the same vendor but th epucks appear different.

I was also curious about this soap, and found an ingredient list on another site:

Sodium palmate/cocoate or palm kernelate - potassium stearate/cocoate or palm kernelate - water (aqua purificata) purified - aramis fragrance (parfum) - glycerin - sodium chloride - coconut acid - talc - pentasodium pentetate - tetrasodium etidronate - bht - benzyl alcohol - linalool - geraniol - citral - eugenol - limonene - alpha-isomethyl ionone - evernia furfuracea (treemoss) extract - hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde - hexyl cinnamal - citronellol - titanium dioxide (CI 77891) - yellow 10 lake (CI 47005) - iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) <iln26920>

No tallow = not worth the price, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't buy it for the scent.:thumbdown

Today I had a look here at John Lewis (UK) and I can confirm that the Aramis soaps they were selling had no tallow in them. Might be a recent reformulation.

Alex

I am thinking they must have reformulated as this came out in the late eighties? Great piece of info to post!

Recently picked a couple of these up from a local shop.

VERY nice scent. The lather dries a bit too quickly for my liking.

Still widely available - although reformulated.

Last edited:
I have a boxed puck on hand and indeed it does list the first ingredient as tallowate.

I started using Aramis when it was first introduced in 1965. I still stock the cologne among those I use. Many products in this line have been discontinued over the years. I miss the moisturizing lotion which also served as a nice balm. I still have a large cylinder of talc as well as this single remaining shaving puck.
It, along with the tallow Old Spice puck, was a staple in my shaving in decades past.

I have a very nice vintage Aramis shave mug, the remnant of some long-ago Christmas gift, I'm sure. But the soap itself is long gone. I've always liked the scent of Aramis, but never realized the original soap had a tallow base. I guess I'll need to keep an eye out for NOS, just to rekindle old memories.

Top Bottom