What's new

Appreciating non-aromatics

So it was always the aromatics that got me onto the pipe, and kept me coming back. The other weekend I was out and spotted a pouch of Carter Hall on the cheap. Having seen it said here it was pretty decent for OTC, I picked it up. I figured if I hated it, $3.50 wasn't going to break my heart to not smoke.

I had no idea what to expect, I'd not seen any actual reviews or such, and to be honest, the first bowl I really didn't like. I had it in my clay old style tavern pipe, and it just didn't do a thing for me. Skip ahead a week, or so, and I put it into my cob, with the chruchwarden stem. This time, I actually started getting into it. It has this sort of wine or sherry note to it, with some nuttiness coming through after that, partway through the bowl. I have had it several more times since, and it's starting to become one of my regulars in the tobacco rotation.

It's making me rethink that I should look into English style blends and other non-aromatics again, give some of them a try as well. I do seem to prefer bold flavors in general, nothing really light. Anyone for suggestions on what I may also find I enjoy, after growing into the Carter Hill? I also really like the smokiness of the Shortcut to Mushrooms blend that is based off of one of the LotR pipe weeds.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Once you let your pallet get adjusted to new flavors I think you will find you can enjoy more of the natural tobacco flavors that are present in non heavily cased blends. The standard response is to try Frog Morton, and I think it's a good one. It'll give you that smokey flavor you found in the Shortcut to Mushrooms without being a total Latakia bomb.

Burley leaf gives blends like Carter Hill have that nutty flavor you picked up. H&H's Classic Burley kake is something you may enjoy as well.

I part of it is the cutting back to almost completely cutting out cigs over the last month, so the taste of things has been changing a little. I'll have to get some Frog Morton onto an order at some point and pick up some of those. What would be good if I wanted a Latakia bomb type blend? lol

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
C&D Pirate Kake and C&D DaVinci, however I have never sampled either one of these. Any blend with more than a light addition of latakia makes me want to scrape my tongue with a 39C.

Hmm... I'll see if the local B&M has any latakia heavy blends, since they are usually $4.50 an ounce or less. Probably the easiest and cheapest way to explore that.

Hopefully your local shops carry some decent non aromatic tobaccos, I find that it is cheaper and I can get better quality online. Heck, in most cases I can buy several tins and pay shipping cheaper than buying a single tin and tax locally

Hopefully your local shops carry some decent non aromatic tobaccos, I find that it is cheaper and I can get better quality online. Heck, in most cases I can buy several tins and pay shipping cheaper than buying a single tin and tax locally

The one local shop carries a massive bulk in jar section, and easily has 40 or 50 different blends. I know there are some English style blends in there, and the expensive blends range between $4.25 and $5 an ounce, with the cheap blends all being about $3.55 an ounce. Sometimes they run specials of a buy one once, get one ounce free on some blends. That will at least give me some idea of the Carter Hall liking is a fluke, or if it'd be worth pulling the trigger on some tins of FM and the like.

Beware of Proper English if you are an aromatic smoker. It's really stout with latakia. I personally love it, but I can't stand aromatics either :lol:

I love frog Mortons, although my favourite still to date is the Three Oak Syrian, but then im still trying to work thru all the tobacco I got from my Santa during the holidays and havent even begun to think about buy anything new or old yet lol

Esoterica Pembroke would be a good starting point for an English, nothing too heavy with a light cognac topping. Also if you decide you would like to try more of the burley style check out C&D Old Joe Kranz. It is one of my favorites, though it can be a bit of N bomb for anyone not used to it.

I like the Classic Burley Kake and Esoterica Pembroke suggestions so far. CBK might be in the same vein as Carter Hall, which Rat likes -- mellow burley with a touch of something sweet in the topping/casing. And Pembroke would give him a look into something English, but again, with a mild aromatic cognac topping to keep it within his comfort zone. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I think Frog Morton's Cellar and Boswell's Northwoods would be other good crossovers to try, which is essentially what we're talking about here, I think... a solid crossover.

Thanks for all the great ideas of things to check out. I'm not worried too much on trying a proper English or strong flavored. I enjoy cigars as well, and I prefer the dark heavy maduro ones.

Thanks for all the great ideas of things to check out. I'm not worried too much on trying a proper English or strong flavored. I enjoy cigars as well, and I prefer the dark heavy maduro ones.
In that case, I'm kind of surprised that you hadn't branched out already. Carter Hall is the only OTC I really ever cared for, to be honest. My "desert island" choice is 965 (the old version). It's been a few years since I've been in the market for any new tobacco, as my pipes are more like artifacts from a past life, now that I have a toddler in the house.

Even still, if you prefer dark heavy maduro cigars, your tastes will likely lean towards heavier English blends. Ask for samples. ;)

Sqadron Leader is another good one. Not too bold, good all day kind of smoke. Aromatic tobaccos make great air fresheners unfortunately much of the time the actual flavor doesn't seem to really come through with them.

The only tobacco I smoke anymore has to be a Virginia Perique blend, and it is difficult for me to get too much Perique. Right now I am smoking some very well aged McClelland's 2015. You may want to try Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake for a very good VA/PER blend.
Another tobacco that I love but have not had in ages is Macbaren's Navy Flake. One other tobacco that a friend used to send me from Denmark was Troost Slices, but I have not found that tobacco in the States.

My shopping list of "should pick up to try" is going to get me over the $100 free shipping mark, it looks like... lol I'll not have to buy anything else for quite a while. lol

Top Bottom