What's new

Apollo Adjustables are an evolving family

Very informative thread and those are really interesting razors. I've seen then for sale here and there in my searches and WOW they are very high priced! Your heirs should appreciate your collection. VERY NICE!!

Jake, hats off to you on finding and preserving these great razors. They are beautiful examples! Thanks for this wonderful thread too!

Jake, hats off to you on finding and preserving these great razors. They are beautiful examples! Thanks for this wonderful thread too!

Another obsessive collector of adjustable razors. Those that aren’t Gillette versions. Thanks Glenn. And great work on your site and your remarkable collection!

Imagine driving an Audi A4 and comparing that to driving a Ford Fusion. Both get you there but the experience is considerably different. And YMMV! ATMO.

Imagine driving an Audi A4 and comparing that to driving a Ford Fusion. Both get you there but the experience is considerably different. And YMMV! ATMO.
The Apollo Mikron is the Audi and the Slim is the Fusion, or did I misread?

I suggest the chunky Apollo Mikron shaves somewhat like a chunky Fat Boy, and the Slim shaves somewhat like, um, a Slim. And the comparisons and subtle differences between the Fat Boy and the Slim have been discussed frequently on the forums.

Bottom line: All three razors are outstanding.

Last edited:
The Apollo Mikron is the Audi and the Slim is the Fusion, or did I misread?

I suggest the chunky Apollo Mikron shaves somewhat like a chunky Fat Boy, and the Slim shaves somewhat like, um, a Slim. And the comparisons and subtle differences between the Fat Boy and the Slim have been discussed frequently on the forums.

Bottom line: All three razors are outstanding.
I agree with "chunky" and I also claim finesse, simplicity, effectiveness in shaving with the Apollo/Matador razors. The micro-adjustability and the ease in disassembling and repairing the Apollo/Matador are some of the features that -- to me -- set those razors apart from the Gillette razors. All utilitarian and functional, but the fit, finish, design, and quality of the German razors feel higher than the Gillette versions. Especially due to the period in which they were made. Now the fact that Apollos were plated over pot metal -- that's a shame. Wonder what was their motivation. Regardless, I'm a fanboy of the German variants. I have the Gillette counterparts also, but YMMV. ATMO.

The Ben Hur is fairly aggressive. The heft and balance are excellent. And the blade exposure is pretty wide and the shave somewhat harsh -- for me.

Thanks for the info! I almost bought a Ben Hur today but I had last minute thoughts on it so maybe that was a good thing. I did end up with a Mikron Gold and I'm not 100% sure on the model but as you can see from the photo it has the green logo on the head. It needs a cleaning badly for sure which I'll really enjoy doing. Also a question as a newbie to the Apollo. I saw a Merkur Progress that looked like an Apollo but it had the Merkur badging on it. Did Merkur buy Apollo and come out with their own version? Just curious.
upload_2017-10-29_20-19-18.png

Nice looking Mikron. Be cautious when cleaning it -- the gold can wear or polish off fairly easily -- like on the Gillette gold-plated razors. A very thin plating of gold was used. Scrubbing Bubbles should work with a very soft bristle tooth brush. No Maas or heavy rubbing. Please post some larger photos of your Mikron once it's cleaned up and ready for exhibiting.

I think Merkur simply copied the Apollo design --as best they could without doing any patent infringement. I don't think they purchased the Apollo company or razor patents.

I understand most of the Apollo and Ben Hur razors are the same razor, just different names stamped on them for commercial purposes. If that be true, the Ben Hur Mikron and the Apollo Mikron should shave the same.

Agreed sir. But was it a Ben Hur adjustable that was being questioned? Or the Ben Hur slant that is not adjustable? Do you know?

Nice looking Mikron. Be cautious when cleaning it -- the gold can wear or polish off fairly easily -- like on the Gillette gold-plated razors. A very thin plating of gold was used. Scrubbing Bubbles should work with a very soft bristle tooth brush. No Maas or heavy rubbing. Please post some larger photos of your Mikron once it's cleaned up and ready for exhibiting.

I think Merkur simply copied the Apollo design --as best they could without doing any patent infringement. I don't think they purchased the Apollo company or razor patents.
Thanks for the advice I kind of figured the gold plating would be similar to that of a Gillette. So Scrubbing Bubbles is what I use on all my gold plated razors. I learned my lesson on an old gold Gem years ago when I polished the gold plating right off the head. Lol

Also is the metal used under the finish brass or another metal?
I know I have a lot to learn about the Apollo and I will as I’ve always thought they are beautiful Razors.
Thanks again and any info is much appreciated!

Top Bottom