What's new

Anyone use horsehide (butt) strop?

A long story told short, I found myself without a strop, but I had a couple of horse butts (the leather kind, not the talk-radio host kind) and I cut a strop from one that had a suitable temper. It turned out so nice that I made some simple brass hardware for the top. I think it's better than the manufactured strop I had (my granduncle's, a meticulous man who died in the '40's so I assume it was of good quality).

Has anyone else made or bought a strop from this type of leather?

I have a mint vintage shell horsehide strop; no nicks, just a couple mild surface scratches.

Buffed on the back surface for "sharpening", and a hard slickness on the front surface for "finishing".

Wouldn't trade it for any newer strop.

I own a Tony Miller Horsehide strop. I like to use it as a finishing strop. I usually begin my stropping with the linen and then switch to the cowhide and finally the horsehide. I have found that the horsehide is a smoother and tighter matieral and is perfect for adding that little extra at the end of stopping.

I have two strops made from horse butt. I like the frist so much that I purchased a second one. Though it is from a different company. Both top notch.

I have two strops I hand made myself out of raw horsehide. I got the best shaves off of them so I sold off all my other strops. Once you use some horse butt forget!

I made several and although they work really well,I find the bridal to actually be an equal or better surface. Ther is a lot more draw and feedback with bridlle that when I compared it to the horsehide, I did not find it to be any better. Plus many of the horse butt strops on the market are highly over price when you consider the cost of making them.
This is just an opinion. If it works for you, then that's al that matters.

To tell you the truth I've had strops made from just about every critter that's walked or crawled including Cordovan and though some are more luxurious than others and feel different when you strop in the end they all did the same job. No different than buying a $40 Eboy special razor or a $1000 custom. They might very well both shave equally as good.

Horse got it's reputation because barbers favored them and they lasted a very long time.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
To tell you the truth I've had strops made from just about every critter that's walked or crawled including Cordovan and though some are more luxurious than others and feel different when you strop in the end they all did the same job.

Ahhh, but just wait till my Endangered Species series come out :w00t:

Just kidding

Tony

Ahhh, but just wait till my Endangered Species series come out :w00t:

Just kidding

Tony

Tony:

May I suggest your new line of strops made from Endangered Species be called the Tony Miller "Primates in Peril" series.

The Variegated Spider Monkey has distinct advantages in that four 28 inch strops can be made from each hide.

picture.php

I predict the Siau Island Tarsier would be a great holiday favorite with the wife or girlfriend looking for that special gift for her significant shaving other. What woman could resist this cute face on the box.

picture.php

One last thought: What do you think of using "BUY E'M NOW BEORE THERE GONE" as a slogan?

Serial numbers and a certificate would be a nice touch ... don't ya think?

Regards: john

PS: As for me ... Call me Old Fashion but for now I'm sticking with my "Sokoto Nigerian goatskin" strop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom