What's new

Anyone try the new Pen's Soaps?

Has anyone tried the new Penhaligons soaps and can comment on them? I am particularly curious as to where you might have acquired them other than directly from the manufacturer. I haven't tried but I assume Penhaligons will not let me order from the UK site in the case for sartorial, which isn't on the US site for some reason

Thanks!

I contacted Penhaligon's UK earlier in the week. They wouldn't let me order the new Sartorial soap, but they said it would be available on the US site shortly.

The new formula is phenomenal!! I had Sartorial (friend brought it to me from London a few weeks back) but I had a reaction to something in the Sartorial fragrance ... the lather had amazing cushion, stability, glide and moisturizing properties ... I cant wait for the Blenheim boiquet to come stateside ... the new formula is that good .... to give a point of comparison it lathers more easily than Tabac and produces better lather for me

The new formula is phenomenal!! I had Sartorial (friend brought it to me from London a few weeks back) but I had a reaction to something in the Sartorial fragrance ... the lather had amazing cushion, stability, glide and moisturizing properties ... I cant wait for the Blenheim boiquet to come stateside ... the new formula is that good .... to give a point of comparison it lathers more easily than Tabac and produces better lather for me

Wow! Better than Tabac?!

I purchased a puck of Blenheim Bouquet a couple months back that sucked worse than any other soap I've tried.

Amazingly terrible would be an understatement .

I purchased a puck of Blenheim Bouquet a couple months back that sucked worse than any other soap I've tried.

Amazingly terrible would be an understatement .

I have heard and experienced nothing but bad results from the old soaps. I am particularly referring to the new soaps since the launch of Sartorial

I have heard and experienced nothing but bad results from the old soaps. I am particularly referring to the new soaps since the launch of Sartorial

The new soapa with Potassium Palmate as the first ingredient are truly luxury soaps...they perform extremely well ... the older soaps were pure garbage that I wouldnt wash my dog with....the new ones truly are a return to the "glory days" for Penhaligons

The new soapa with Potassium Palmate as the first ingredient are truly luxury soaps...they perform extremely well ... the older soaps were pure garbage that I wouldnt wash my dog with....the new ones truly are a return to the "glory days" for Penhaligons

Just for curiosity's sake, would it be possible to post a photo of the new ingredients?

This is the older version purchased at Merz apothecary in Chicago...it was old stock that performed horribly
$image.jpg
I wrote to complain and they stated that was not how their products performed and they were sorry

This is the version sent to me this week from customer service
$image.jpg
Was planning to do a side by side controlled experiment of sorts with my B&B boar but it seems you gents move more quickly than I....
my hope was that they sent me the brand new version, but I do not know. It does not have the primary ingredient listed by COShavesurfer as potassium palmate, though it has a different carving on the top of the soap than the previous version. The ingredients are nearly identical. Will have to see if there is a difference in the shave/lather.

Max

So far, the ingredients look the same. I hope there is something afoot(in a good way for once) at Penhaligon's concerning the shave soaps. Til the old stock gets used up it is likely to be hit and miss for one of the soaps listed with potassium palmate as first ingredient. And yeah, even though the players could be the same concerning the ingredients, their percentage of the formula can yield significantly differences in performance. Here's keeping our fingers crossed. The Franks have proven for years you can make top shelf shave soap from a vegetable base. Lets hope our friends in Brittania finally have things set aright.

Cheers, Todd

PS. If Penhaligon's does indeed make a grand soap(again) does this mean we can finally have an end to the 'AOS is too expensive' threads and transfer it to the new soap? The former is tiring and we need a need a new whipping boy.

As I understand it, the new formula comes in a dark wooden bowl as opposed to the rubbish in the blonde bowl.

This better be available stateside ASAP...my favorite scent hands down is Pens B&B...contemplating the splash right now as a matter of fact...I had a puck of the old tallow formulation, before they reformulated and it was magical

Grab the balm. I'm not a balm guy, but I just got it (can't ship anything containing alcohol here) and it really is great. You only need a tiny, tiny amount (should last forever) and it isn't greasy at all.

You can use any soap you want (Namaste is a great complementary scent) and afterwards still feel like you used BB.

(Penhaligon's, you should start paying me a shill's commission - I'll take it in new formula soap, thanks.)

My pack of sartorials just arrived yesterday. Kristin at Mayfair took the order over the phone, no problem, other than expensive!
Although I have not yet opened even one...too nicely wrapped! But the scent even wrapped up, is great! More later!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 154
Just for curiosity's sake, would it be possible to post a photo of the new ingredients?

There are some photos in this other thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/355190-Penhaligon-s

Here is a table showing the differences in ingredients that I made using pictures of the ingredients list.

Here's a table showing the ingredient differences. I added four place holders to the list on the left so the two lists have the same numbers of ingredients for ease of comparison. The next question is: who else is willing to try the new formulation?

Bad Reforumulated Penhaligon's Soap
||
Good? Reformulated Penhaligon's Soap
|
  1. Sodium Palmate
  2. Potassium Stearate
  3. Sodium Cocoate
  4. Sodium Stearate
  5. Aqua (Water)
  6. Potassium Cocoate
  7. Glycerin
  8. Parfum (Fragrance)
  9. Tetrasodium EDTA - Used to be #11
  10. Sodium Chloride
  11. Alpha Isomethyl Ionone - Used to be #14
  12. (Sodium Gluconate) - Missing Ingredient - Used to be #12
  13. Linalool - Used to be #15
  14. Citronellol - Used to be #16
  15. Coumarin - Used to be #17
  16. Bisabolol - New Ingredient
  17. Tocopheryl Acetate - New Ingredient
  18. Evernia Prunasti (Oakmoss) Extract - Used to be #19
  19. Amyl Cinnamal
  20. Tetrasodium Etidronate - Used to be #13
  21. Geraniol
  22. Eugenol
  23. Limonene
  24. Benzyl Benzoate
  25. CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) - Used to be #9
  26. CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) - New Ingredient
  27. CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake) - New Ingredient
  28. CI 77492 (Iron Oxides)
  29. CI 7707 (Ultramarine)

Grab the balm. I'm not a balm guy, but I just got it (can't ship anything containing alcohol here) and it really is great. You only need a tiny, tiny amount (should last forever) and it isn't greasy at all.

You can use any soap you want (Namaste is a great complementary scent) and afterwards still feel like you used BB.

(Penhaligon's, you should start paying me a shill's commission - I'll take it in new formula soap, thanks.)

I've got some...and it does last forever because the stuff is so thick! But I really want the splash even though it costs too much, is turning cold and basically SWMBO will hate me...

Top Bottom