What's new

Anyone Face Lather with Marco's Method?

Best method Ever!

When you load your brush, hold it over the sink and hold the bowl of soap to the side (so the excess lather falls into the sink). Load heavy, at least a good 45 seconds. The lather should look like a cream on the brush; then take it right to your face.

This is the method I use 98% of the time.

I actually transferred both my Cella and RR XXX to larger containers. I did it for a couple reasons. One, I think it helps to load and helps with the mess especially when the soap is new and second becuase they look great. I use the 8 oz. clear top tins from specialty bottle. You could also use the 16 oz. They are like $.80 so I bought 10 of the 8 oz tins...you know, just in case!

Do I sense Valobra and Vitos on the way too?!:biggrin1:

My daily shave is an adaptation of Marco's method (less water in the brush, though still fairly wet, and shorter loading on the soap). Just go lightly and slowly and stay on your cheeks for a few swirls. Pick up the pace and the pressure just a tad as you transition into building across the entire beard area. I save the mustache area for the end, and usually "shape" the loft a bit with my finger tips (particularly with larger brushes, less so with smaller ones).

HTH.

Do I sense Valobra and Vitos on the way too?!:biggrin1:

Well, I do have some TOBS soap on the way which I plan to grate and stuff into a tin. Been eyeing the QCS options as well. I am a month in and am already trying to figure out how I will ever use all the soaps and creams I already have. However, I should probably order some more so the extra tins don't go to waste!

Well, I do have some TOBS soap on the way which I plan to grate and stuff into a tin. Been eyeing the QCS options as well. I am a month in and am already trying to figure out how I will ever use all the soaps and creams I already have. However, I should probably order some more so the extra tins don't go to waste!

We all learn quickly here!:wink2::thumbup1:

I am really enjoying both my Cella and Razorock XXX soft soaps. Truly awesome products. I read Marco's tutorial for lathering Italian soft soaps. When I use a bowl, the results are incredible...the lather is flowing out of my bowl, moist, slick and cushioning. However, I really like face lathering and when I try to use this method for face lathering, even a modified method shaking out a little water, the results are...well a huge mess all over my countertop. Does anyone else use this method for face lathering? Any secrets to help minimize the mess? I feel like it is really only workable for bowl lathering and that I need to use much less water to face lather with Italian soft soaps.

My technique has always been a confused mess of different bits and pieces of techniques i've read in various places, with different results every day, so yesterday i properly tried Marco's technique with a Muehle soap, and it was just amazing. I don't see why i would ever do anything different from hereonin.
THANK YOU MARCO!!:w00t:

I load my Omega brush heavily and then load it a bit more. Soap is cheap and I load the hell out of that brush. Once it hits my face, I do the usual. I did transfer my Cella from the red tub to a bigger tub and that helped. I make no major changes overall. The Italian soft soaps work well for me.

P

Pjotr

My technique has always been a confused mess of different bits and pieces of techniques i've read in various places, with different results every day, so yesterday i properly tried Marco's technique with a Muehle soap, and it was just amazing. I don't see why i would ever do anything different from hereonin.
THANK YOU MARCO!!:w00t:

Sorry but I really can't see what the big deal is with lathering soft soaps. If you can tie your shoe laces you can get lather from a soft soap.

It's easier when face lathering to start with less water and add it to the mix as needed by dipping the tips of the brush.

+1 I think that the water and suds flying about come from the initial soaking (the water that's in the midst of the hair; the reservoir shall I say). By starting with a slightly dryer brush and periodically dipping the tip, the water doesn't store in the base of the brush, from where it gets airborne, but rather goes directly from the tips to your face resulting in less of a mess.

Sorry but I really can't see what the big deal is with lathering soft soaps. If you can tie your shoe laces you can get lather from a soft soap.

I'm not really sure the arsey message was necessary.

I was able to get a lather from it, but not as much as i wanted, but now i can, so this method helped me. Then i felt like saying thanks. Does that really warrant a sarcastic message?

My daily shave is an adaptation of Marco's method (less water in the brush, though still fairly wet, and shorter loading on the soap). Just go lightly and slowly and stay on your cheeks for a few swirls. Pick up the pace and the pressure just a tad as you transition into building across the entire beard area. I save the mustache area for the end, and usually "shape" the loft a bit with my finger tips (particularly with larger brushes, less so with smaller ones).

HTH.

I use exactly the same "adaptation" of Marco's method with excellent results every time.

It's easier when face lathering to start with less water and add it to the mix as needed by dipping the tips of the brush. It's like salting food -- you can always add water, but you can't take it away.

I agree. You can add water, but not take it away.

It's easier when face lathering to start with less water and add it to the mix as needed by dipping the tips of the brush. It's like salting food -- you can always add water, but you can't take it away.

I use the same method for face lathering and it usually takes 3 dips before I hit the sweet spot!! Basically, 1) load cream using moist brush then dip in water and paint face to get a small amount of cream applied to face; 2) dip in water again and use a circular motion to create lather; 3) dip again and use scrubby circular motion and lather explodes on face.

I follow Marco's method but not to the letter. I remove a bit of water before I begin to load the brush. It works like a champ every time and even on 'hard to lather' soaps like MWF.

I don't mean to over-state something that may be obvious. Wet your face before bringing the lather filled brush to it too. I have become more of a face latherer myself over time. The methods described in this thread work well.

Ok, so I tried again this morning with a few modifications and I think this will be my go to method (likely for all soaps). I removed a little water with two small "pumps" and then loaded like crazy with the tin held sideways. This helped with allowing excess liquid to fall into the sink and getting the soap up into the bristles easier. When I went to my face I started with more of a gentle wipe all over than any sort of lathering, then started lathering like usual. Still a few stray drop and so forth, but much better than before.

Warning: newbie question ahead ;)

With the Cella in a big-enough container, do you use that container only for loading the brush? Or is the complete lathering done in there?

What I'm getting at is this: if one uses soap and prefers bowl-lathering over face-lathering, is a second bowl necessary? Or do you just do all the lathering in the bowl that contains the soap?

For me, to get the water/soap ratio in my lather perfect requires a separate bowl. Otherwise, the whole time you are building lather you are continuing to add soap into the mix. (I don't face lather.)

Long story short, if you are bowl lathering, you really do require a separate bowl apart from the container that is holding the soap.

Top Bottom