What's new

Anyone else enjoy a Big Brush?

Ahem. When I'm in the mood for a shaving experience, instead of just a shave, I'll grab my Rooney 3/3 or my SMF III (also made by Rooney). Both are big knots, not so huge as a Kent BK12, but big enough, and they bloom like crazy. And painting is the word: you can't really scrub your face with either, you have to whip up a lather in a bowl and slather it on. Very luxurious. But it takes a lot of time to dig the overflow lather out of your ears when you're done.

Had a 26mm Savile Row and hated it. Went down to 24 and like it much better. I'll only be getting 22 and smaller from now on!

22mm is about the smallest I use regularly anymore. I find that smaller knots don't give as good a face feel to me. Seems like I'm rubbing a cotton ball on my face instead of a puff (or whatever those big things are called that old timey women used to apply powder/blush).

I find a well set 24mm ideal, but the knots shape and allowed bloom has a LOT to do with size. My 30mm TGN is SMALLER than my 24mm Shavemac D01 was (~55mm loft). I'd say my 26mm Rooney Heritage 3 band is a bit bigger than I tend to like, and my Chubby 2 three band is borderline.

Eagle G3 in Best is on the smallish side of ideal for me. That size or maybe a few mm bigger diameter and I'm in face lathering heaven. But I do use my tightly pinched 24mm Finest, and my 22mm Super Silvertip a good bit. They just lack the really big, pillowy feel of my bigger brushes.

I do love a big brush too! But I've only used boars so my input is void of experience.

I use the Omega 10098. Love the size. 27mm knot with a 60mm loft. Its probably the softest boar out there (broken in like a b*tch this one haha), but still too prickly for me.

Would love to try a Kent BK12 alas that might be a little too big... or is there such a thing? Haha!

A boar and a badger of the same dimensions would definitely feel different no? I'd like to find out what's the threshold on largeness as far as badgers are concerned.

... but the knots shape and allowed bloom has a LOT to do with size...

I agree. My CH2 two band has a 27mm knot and a 50mm loft, but it feels smaller than my Rooney 1/2 which has a 24mm knot and 48mm loft. It's just the nature of the Simpson 2 band hair and the tighness/density of the knot. The Rooney feels a little big and floppy compared the the CH2.

I prefer more of a medium sized brush, and the CH2 is as big as I'd like. I don't find myself using the Rooney too much even though I think it's a fantastic brush. It's just a tad too big feeling.

Big brush aficionado number 1 here. My favorites are a Chubby 2 and 3, Stubby 3, and a TGN 30mm.

So how do the Stubby 3 and Chubby 3 compare to the TGN 30? Just started using my RV 30 and it's wonderful!

Anyway, count me in! Big brushes are my everyday choice. They fit my hand and my face better and just feel terrific!

Ken

So how do the Stubby 3 and Chubby 3 compare to the TGN 30?

My TGN feels a bit smaller than the other two, though most it is set at a very low loft (~51mm). The second factor leading to it feeling smaller is the bulb shape. Both of the other brushes (at least the Chubby in Super) are flat fans.

As for the quality of the knot/hair, its definitely a "Chubby style knot". It is soft and dense, though not quite as soft or dense as the other two. The Stubby is easily the most luxurious of the three with the softest tips and exceptional density. Its a touch of a lather hog though even by my standards. My Chubby was a little less soft than the Stubby, and slightly less dense. However this is not bad as mine lathered easier. A side not is that my brother's Chubby 3 Super is way denser than any of the others, so there is some variation in these brushes.

Basically, the 30MM TGN is mostly as nice as the other two. In a diminishing returns sort of way the Chubby and Stubby cost 3 or 4 times what you would pay for the TGN but are only 15% softer/more dense. For some its worth the extra money, but it wont be worlds different.

Thanks Seth, that's exactly what I was wondering. Perfectly expressed and very helpful. Sounds like a Stubby 3 is The brush. Then, there is the cost..... Gotta think about that one.

Appreciate the response, my friend!

Take care,

Ken

For what its worth Vintage Blades has the two tone Stubby 3 in three band on clearance for $150. If you wanted one its a steal at that price.

♫ I like big knots and I can not lie
You other shavers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty paste
And a badger in your face
You get sprung

Last edited:
Made a killer face lathering brush today,took 30mm x 90mm loft knot and set that sucker at 52mm loft in a lignum handle,looks a little odd but man do it lather:)

Top Bottom