What's new

Any Trader Joe's House Blend Fans?

I tried 2 cans, one blend and a single origin. Might have been a different blend. Either way, it wasn't as fresh as I like, so I haven't bought more from them. You get spoiled roasting your own.

I remember trying their Italian Roast and liking it pretty well. I also really enjoy their 5 Country Espresso Blend, and the Pajaro blend. I haven't tried roasting my own coffee before. Sounds like it's the way to go, but it also sounds like a hobby that I'd probably get way too into. I tend to do that.

Paul

We drink the Wake Up blend and its a medium roast so its less prone to over roasting. I find it to be a perfectly enjoyable cup (or two!) in the morning, and pretty good bang for your buck.

Ran out of home roasted coffee and needed something badly, so headed over to my local Trader Joe's. I have been by their coffee shelves many times but was still surprised to see how many varieties of dark roast they had in stock. I did not see the Peaberry which I last drank, so purchased this one instead. I had narrowed my choices between this coffee at a bargain price of $5.99 vs some Ethiopian at $9.99 (IIRC the prices).

This was not the best coffee, but not the worst either. The aroma was nice and fruity but something was missing that I can't describe. It gave a better cup in the Hario that the Presso, so I expect it would do okay in a drip machine. A few pictures of the can and coffee beans:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Picture of the date code on the bottom. I purchased this on 2012-08-03 (Aug 3), so I suspect it was roasted on 2012-07-11, with a date stamp giving a full year of shelf life. :sneaky2:
proxy.php

When I first ground I noticed a lot of small bits and pieces. Here is a close up picture of the beans, just a random selection of what came out of the can next. The bean size does not look very uniform and some charring can be seen. Maybe that is why the price was low. Still I suspect most people will be happy with the resulting cup given the price.
proxy.php

The Bali Blue Moon was the best of these offering I have tasted. Most of them are roasted above the level indicated on the label.It is far better than most "canned" coffee though so it has that going for it.

I've had the "Joe" coffee in the picture, and while it was fairly smooth, it was a bit light on flavor. I don't believe I've had the Bali Blue Moon Jim, is that an extra dark roast?

Paul

Top Bottom