What's new

Any Runners in the House?

My goal for the four mile race today was 38 minutes. My unofficial time ended up being 35:20 at a distance of 3.93 miles (8:59 average pace). It would have been slightly faster but there was a tree down across the path that had to be climbed over twice.

Great work! Now you just need to avoid trees and you'll be golden.:thumbup1:

You mention Bridges a lot. Do you mean a literal bridge or is that a type of workout I'm not familiar with?

They are literal bridges. There is pedestrian access to two of the bridges that span the St. Johns River. We use them as substitutes for hill workouts. And they provide fantastic views of downtown and the river. Regularly see dolphins and on rare occasions, manatees!

They are literal bridges. There is pedestrian access to two of the bridges that span the St. Johns River. We use them as substitutes for hill workouts. And they provide fantastic views of downtown and the river. Regularly see dolphins and on rare occasions, manatees!

Cool. Sounds like a heck of a view. My primary running path has a few bridges but they only go over two lane roads probably only about 30 feet of climbing.

Cool. Sounds like a heck of a view. My primary running path has a few bridges but they only go over two lane roads probably only about 30 feet of climbing.

The Main Street bridge (the blue bridge) reaches 35 feet high; the Acosta Bridge is about 80 feet high. Both get you to the Northbank Riverwalk, which is great for running - right along the river. There are a fair number of roads that go along the river as well.

I love manatees because I can out run them! Stupid dolphins! :mad3:

5K at 24:08 was hopping for 24:00 or less but just a little slow on the first half so I need to work on my split paces.

I'm not familiar with that plan. From my experience you will need to get into the 45-50 mile range with at least three long runs of 20+ miles to see significant improvement.

My plan is a hybrid plan. I use a Runner's World plan as a template and added/removed various things, as well as increased the mileage. I have easy runs, tempo runs, MP runs, hill work and long runs in the plan. It also has two cut back weeks to keep you fresh.

When you say three long runs of 20+ miles you mean one per week during the last five weeks correct?

What is your mileage on your other days (easy, tempo, etc)

Mission Accomplished! First Half Marathon is in the books! Both my daughter and I finished our 1/2 on Saturday & she did great! Official time was 2:19, including a short break to use the facilities at around the 8 mile mark. Would've loved to get in under 2 hours, but time goals are for the next one. Very proud papa today! :biggrin1:

Mission Accomplished! First Half Marathon is in the books! Both my daughter and I finished our 1/2 on Saturday & she did great! Official time was 2:19, including a short break to use the facilities at around the 8 mile mark. Would've loved to get in under 2 hours, but time goals are for the next one. Very proud papa today! :biggrin1:

Excellent work for both!

When you say three long runs of 20+ miles you mean one per week during the last five weeks correct? What is your mileage on your other days (easy, tempo, etc)

My training plan is 16 weeks long. I did my 20 miler on week 10, a 22 miler on week 11, a 24 miler on week 13 and a 23 miler on week 14. I've got three weeks until race day, with long runs of 15 and 12.

Mileage for easy and tempo runs increased as the plan progressed. It started as low as 3 miles for easy/recovery runs and goes as high as 8. Tempo and MP runs were similar, starting around 5 miles and progressing to 10 miles. I ran 5 days a week. Usually had Wednesday and the day after my long run off.

So how much training time do you have before your marathon?

Three weeks. Marathon is on November 8.

Congratulations to you both, Steve!

Congrats!

Ran my second 10K tonight in 52:42 which is about 6 mins faster than last time. :thumbup1: I was doing some intervals during the 5 to 8 KMs just to work myself a bit harder since I knew I could complete the 10K this time without having to go so slow.

Ran my second 10K tonight in 52:42 which is about 6 mins faster than last time. :thumbup1: I was doing some intervals during the 5 to 8 KMs just to work myself a bit harder since I knew I could complete the 10K this time without having to go so slow.

Shaving 6mins is no joke! Congrats!

Shaving 6mins is no joke! Congrats!

Thanks! Was a bit sore this morning and hard getting to sleep since I ran so late at night and I'm not used to the taxing my system so hard for so long but I'll get used to it and then I'll be moving my distance runs up to the 8 and 10 mile range. :001_smile

Top Bottom