What's new

Any point in honing this petite straight (from China)?

This petite razor looks beautiful to me:

petite_varying_width_fixed_thickness_straight_razor.jpg

The spine does not have a lip and so its thickness is easily measured. However, it has a varying width. The as-is bevel angles are below 14 degrees:

bevel_angle_as_is.jpg

The potential for bevel angle after taping would be:

potential_bevel_angle_after_taping.jpg

Questions: Is there any point in attempting to make this razor shave-ready? Has anyone tried doing so already?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If it was me, and somebody left that in my mailbox, I would toss it at first glance. It shouts, "RSO" to me. However, if you feel like giving it a go, what do you got to lose? Do it like you feel it. Just don't be too surprised or disappointed if you can't make it shave.

If you like the way that thing looks, you could make one, out of a GD66. It would probably shave, too. But don't take it down to 14 degrees. Try around 16deg or 16.5deg.

Yeah, that's a box-cutter. They do make good boxcutters. I'd stop at a 600grit edge though. No point going higher.

I'm trying not to feel bad for you that you spent all that time on measurements and excel for this razor. On the other hand, you're gonna be able to measure the hell out of a real razor when you get one. I kinda look forward to that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I thought it was "beauty is in the eye of the beerholder".
Dr Slash, (I just decided you deserve a doctorate because I have the authority to rest a doctor's crown on your head, vested in me by the state of my mind, AND it is real close to a major holiday here in the US of A) a question: have you heard or heard of the song "The girls all get prettier at closing time"? I don't recall any specific incidents, but one of my brothers told me that it was my theme song. You are probably much too young and of better morals than I was at the time.

Top Bottom