What's new

Any other home roasters here?

I started roasting coffee beans this summer, and it was great fun. :001_smile

I have used an air popper, and it has worked great and lasted the whole summer. Only downside is that I am not able to do a large quantity at a time, but that is OK, because I would enjoy the roasting with a beer or two and on a hot summer day it was a pleasant activity.

I have bought Kona beans, my favorite and other coffees at a better price from Sweet Maria's.

I was just curious if there are any other home roasters here?

Hi.

You're not alone.

I moved on to an SC/TO setup for the bigger batches.

While I like Sweet Maria's as a source, I tend to prefer the Green Coffee Buying Club. They sometimes get some coffees before roasters even have them available. I don't know who, but there's a guy somewhere in there who has connections.

www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com

There was another source I used to use, but it hasn't been the same since it was sold.

Another one here...I don't use an air popper: instead, I use an stove top popper. Up to 3/4 lb batches :biggrin:

Yup, home roaster here and use Sweet Maria's as a source for most of my green beans also.

Word 'em up, y'all

You're not alone.

I moved on to an SC/TO setup for the bigger batches.

I thought about building a larger-capacity roaster, and even went so far as to purchase a "previously-owned" Galloping Gourmet turbo-convection oven and 60rpm motor; but then decided that since it only takes two 2/3-cup batches of green beans to fill a 1-qt Mason jar, and because I usually roast 8-12 different varieties of green coffee beans per-session, I should/would stick with my WestBend Poppery II hot-air popper.

And so I did... and I'm no-less happy.

What's in your mug?

Word 'em up, y'all

I thought about building a larger-capacity roaster, and even went so far as to purchase a "previously-owned" Galloping Gourmet turbo-convection oven and 60rpm motor; but then decided that since it only takes two 2/3-cup batches of green beans to fill a 1-qt Mason jar, and because I usually roast 8-12 different varieties of green coffee beans per-session, I should/would stick with my WestBend Poppery II hot-air popper.

And so I did... and I'm no-less happy.

What's in your mug?

Yup, I have a West Bend too, and bought another one on ebay for when this one gives up.

I home roast also. I use Sweet Maria's for a supplier, and roast in a Behmor. There's no turning back once you start..

Yep I roast also. I have a gene cafe and find its does a great job with little smoke unless you roast really dark.

Smoke can be a problem with all roasters though some seem to smoke more than others and the only solution depending on the roaster is use a range hood if its a really good one and vents to the outside or roast outside or buy some dryer vent piping and rig up a home made hood and vent through a window.

I get my coffee through Sweet maria's also.

I roast with an air popper for small batches - vintage 1970's / 80' Wear Ever Poppery I's, split wired for roasting / cooling.

I also use a stir-crazy / convection oven setup for larger batches.

I have used Sweet marias for green coffee before, but the shipping to canada is pretty high. I have found a local roaster here in Vancouver who sells green coffee beans.

Ask around roasters in your home town and see if they will sell you green coffee..

FYI - hit up the local thrift stores etc and try to pick up the 1500 watt (the rating is listed on the bottom plate) Poppery I - its a much better air popper or roasting - better heat, better fan. I have never paid more than $5 for one... if you find one PM me and I can explain the re-wiring process to get it to roast / cool.

Barry

I've just started. Un-modded hot air popper and a head full of ideas. 1st batch went very well, tastes damned good and I struggled to believe it was this easy!

My first coffee roast about 10 years ago was a classic. I received my new coffee roaster and was determined to use it immediately. Read the directions and was ready to go. Placed it under the microwave which had an exhaust fan to the outside and was ready to go. Placed my green beans in there and threw the switch. All was going well for the first ten minutes or so. Machine was producing a bit of smoke but the exhaust fan under the microwave was keeping up fine.

Suddenly, there was a loud click in the machine which I was later to discover was some type of bi-metalic valve. Smoke began to roar out of the machine in unbelievable quantities.

No, the microwave fan was not keeping up. What to do? Threw open the kitchen window and started trying to fan the smoke out of the house. Smoke was quickly building up... now had about a foot of smoke near the ceiling of the kitchen. Started throwing open all of the windows on the first floor. Still wildly fanning the smoke. Smoke soon is so heavy in the kitchen that it starts to spill into the living room. Fire/smoke alarm starts blaring. This has all happened in about 2 minutes. I unplug the roaster and take it out on the deck. I look back at the house to see smoke rolling out of the windows. Looked exactly like the house was on fire or something.

Neighbors are coming out of their houses. "Is everything OK?" they ask. I sheepishly say, "yeah, just a little cooking accident. Nothing on fire or anything."

And, that was not the end. House smelled like roasted coffee for about a week. And, yes I am still married to the same lovely lady.

I did my first batch indoors, till I learned how much smoke there was. How do you deal with the smoke in the house?

1400 cfm external vent hood :biggrin: When we did the great kitchen remodel of '06 my wife asked "why do we need the biggest blower you can find?" My answer: "you can turn a big one slower, but you can't turn a little one up" Two years later my coffee roasting kicked in and we were both glad for the bigger blower.

I've been roasting for a few years. Currently using an I-Roast with beans from Sweet Maria's and the Green Coffee Buying Club.

Top Bottom