What's new

Any love for the "Newer" Gem razors?

I prefer the MMOC, but I do like the Heavy Flat Top (G-Bar).

One of these days I'll work up the enthusiasm to try my Feather Weight.

They are all great shavers but I keep going back to my beat up 1912.:001_smileIt just does it for me.:thumbup:

The 1912 is such a classic, I really want to like it, but I can't seem to get comfortable with it. I may have to get my hands on a Damaskeene, just to see if that makes a difference.

The 1912 is such a classic, I really want to like it, but I can't seem to get comfortable with it. I may have to get my hands on a Damaskeene, just to see if that makes a difference.

What is the difference between the 1912 and the Demaskeene?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have yet to try my G-bar or Jr./1912 because I'm on the Schick injector kick this week, actually started a few days ago as my first SE. I can certainly see an MMOC in my future though!

What is the difference between the 1912 and the Demaskeene?

The Damaskeene model of the 1912 has a round top plate and a round, knurled handle instead of the usual hexagon shape which some of us believe makes it shave a bit better than the standard 1912. Plus they made some cool ads for the Damaskeene.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I own 3 SEs and use the G-Bar for Head Shaving, although classified as a "mild" razor, you can still achieve a comparably close shave in less passes than with your DE. No knock on DEs as I DE shave ~95% of the time using my 59 SS.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Damaskeene model of the 1912 has a round top plate and a round, knurled handle instead of the usual hexagon shape which some of us believe makes it shave a bit better than the standard 1912. Plus they made some cool ads for the Damaskeene.

Damn, another " must have"!

its like alot of production lines in society. the more modern it gets the easier it is to use, and perhaps less rewarding.

is a honda accord easier and less problematic to drive than a 32 ford? Sure it is, and much less rewarding to some.

Its nice we have both available.

anyone need a hardlt used psuhbutton or HFT? My MMOC and LCs need some love, and im more than happy to oblige.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
its like alot of production lines in society. the more modern it gets the easier it is to use, and perhaps less rewarding.

is a honda accord easier and less problematic to drive than a 32 ford? Sure it is, and much less rewarding to some.

Its nice we have both available.

anyone need a hardlt used psuhbutton or HFT? My MMOC and LCs need some love, and im more than happy to oblige.

how much for the pushbutton?

Way cool. This has probably been discussed, but ... where does the name "Damaskeene" come from? Do the razors have a damask pattern to them?

I'm guessing it had to do with Damascus steel. Even if the blades weren't, they had a pattern, and GEM was playing on the name.

Their marketing department had some hits and misses.

P

Pjotr

Way cool. This has probably been discussed, but ... where does the name "Damaskeene" come from? Do the razors have a damask pattern to them?

When you lift the lid is has "Use Damaskeene Blades" engraved on the bass plate. Hence why the dudes holding up the box of 7 Damaskeene blades look so happy.

My new favorite SE is the GEM Contour push button. It's looks more modern; which means it doesn't look like a left over torture device from the Spanish Inquisition. It has a great feel and is very comfortable to hold. With all that, it shaves just as well as my Junior did.

Too bad my SE love has been lost to the mighty Hoffritz Slant. Sorry SE's time for you to hit the market. I've already traded my MMOC & Jr. Just need to dump off the G-Bar, FW and Ever Ready. Oh yeah, and every razor that begins with a "Gillette". LOL

I'm keeping the Contour though, it gives a DFS. :001_smile

Top Bottom