What's new

Any good NYC suppliers for tea and coffee?

Just curious what's around here. I'm afraid of Chinatown because I worry of subpar products (as a Chinese person, that place freaks me out)

I would love to know as well as I will be visiting next week. My understanding, though, is the internet is a more fruitful place for Pu hunting. I have had a lot of fun tasting and buying at Ten Ren in Chinatown. May go and peruse their Yixing offerings.

NYC is abundant with good coffee these days. (it wasn't that way not very long ago)

9th St. Espresso, Cafe Grumpy, Everyman Espresso, Gimme! Coffee, and more.

I would love to know as well as I will be visiting next week. My understanding, though, is the internet is a more fruitful place for Pu hunting. I have had a lot of fun tasting and buying at Ten Ren in Chinatown. May go and peruse their Yixing offerings.

While tea is secondary to me Ten Ren is where I go to taste and purchase for my wife and mother-in-law. They have a good selection and often have 5-6 different brews available for tasting.

NYC is abundant with good coffee these days. (it wasn't that way not very long ago)

9th St. Espresso, Cafe Grumpy, Everyman Espresso, Gimme! Coffee, and more.

You're right...there is good coffee available all over...but in what form? While 9th St. is all around great, I've found that some of the other places (Abraco for example) have good brewed coffee and less so good beans, or vice-versa. I used to rely on Gorilla Coffee for good beans, espresso, or coffee, but it too has become iffy...I stopped there yesterday and had a nice double-shot, but the beans didn't tempt me....plus I started doing a bit of home roasting so the Sweet Maria's I have at home was a high bar to surpass.

While tea is secondary to me Ten Ren is where I go to taste and purchase for my wife and mother-in-law. They have a good selection and often have 5-6 different brews available for tasting.

You're right...there is good coffee available all over...but in what form? While 9th St. is all around great, I've found that some of the other places (Abraco for example) have good brewed coffee and less so good beans, or vice-versa. I used to rely on Gorilla Coffee for good beans, espresso, or coffee, but it too has become iffy...I stopped there yesterday and had a nice double-shot, but the beans didn't tempt me....plus I started doing a bit of home roasting so the Sweet Maria's I have at home was a high bar to surpass.

So one of the four I've mentioned you said was "all around great", and then proceeded to say "but.." about places that I did not mention at all. I've heard mixed reviews on Gorilla, which is why I didn't list it.

Coffee roasting giants are well-represented there, but the odds of finding good coffee at a random shop are just as slim as the rest of the US.

Although I live in NY, I get my coffee direct from Costa Rica through Cafe Britt. Great beans and reasonable pricing.

Sorry, I was referring to beans and leaves. Thanks
Tea Ren is too meh for me. The green tea I got from them was dust

When I lived in and around NYC, I went to Porto Rico for coffee beans. Now I buy from them online and have it shipped. They have 3 stores (East Village, Bleeker Street, and West Village). There prices are very good as is there coffee. I can't comment on their tea.

What's good at Porto Rico? (I know it's low grade, but it's cheap) I've only had Kenyan AA, which stopped me from blinking for a few hours

What's good at Porto Rico? (I know it's low grade, but it's cheap) I've only had Kenyan AA, which stopped me from blinking for a few hours
Is it low grade? I haven't compared to a lot of other places but I think they have some very good coffee.

I seem to be partial to the "Pacific" coffees so I like Sumatran, Hawaiians, Celebes, etc.

Top Bottom