What's new

Any Barbasol lovers out there?

I use Barbasol yellow with a DE razor quite a bit, and I get just as great a shave as I do when I whip up some Arko.

Lots of guys in the '60's and '70's regularly used DE razors with canned shaving cream. Of course, people just shaved back then, and didn't make a big production out of it.

What the heck has gone wrong with people these days?

I recently bought a travel size can, prompted by seeing some mention of it here. I hadn't used it since back in the '60s, wanted to refresh my memories, and thought I might use it for travel.

It seems to work fine, better with a little water added. Just not as satisfying as working up a lather myself. Since then I've bought a La Toja stick that I'll probably use for traveling and I'm using up the Barbasol at home. I enjoy the fragrance of Barbasol - kind of a memory thing I think.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Don't tell anyone but using Barbasol or another shaving cream in the can is faster and easier.

I love barbasol, and use it on my daily shaves, every once in a while I whip out the higher end stuff. But Barbz beats them 100% of the time in my book.

I've been using Barbasol with Aloe which I picked up at my local CVS, and I have to say, for as inexpensive as it is, it does a good job. I enjoy the scent too, almost smells like cologne. I like to apply it with a moist brush, hydrates the lather and does a better job of smearing the cream around than my hand does. It's good to have around if I want to shave quickly and efficiently or if I need a little something extra for additional clean up on my face.

Been wet shaving since the 1960s using Gillette DE safety razors until they and good blades disappeared from the stores. Then used Trac 2 Razors for years until the internet provided a source for Gillette DE razors and decent blades. Always used lather from a can, Colgate, Gillette Foamy and Barbasol. Read all the hype about shaving soaps, creams, mixing up a lather and applying with a good quality brush, and how great the shaves are. Tried numerous soaps and creams and threw them all in the trash. Get my best shaves with original Barbasol and see no reason to experiment further as it is just time consuming and expensive. Barbasol and my Gillette Fatboys are it for me.

Been wet shaving since the 1960s using Gillette DE safety razors until they and good blades disappeared from the stores. Then used Trac 2 Razors for years until the internet provided a source for Gillette DE razors and decent blades. Always used lather from a can, Colgate, Gillette Foamy and Barbasol. Read all the hype about shaving soaps, creams, mixing up a lather and applying with a good quality brush, and how great the shaves are. Tried numerous soaps and creams and threw them all in the trash. Get my best shaves with original Barbasol and see no reason to experiment further as it is just time consuming and expensive. Barbasol and my Gillette Fatboys are it for me.

Some people forget that it's really about whatever works for you, and try to deter people from foam like the plague. Glad to see you have found your minimalist setup! :thumbup:

Top Bottom