What's new

any AHAVA users?

I started shaving a month or so ago, and I have only used AHAVA (Essential Dead Sea Treatment) aftershave (link).

I am happy with it, seems to do its job, keeps my skin from getting to dry in this silly midwest winter.

I want to know if anyone else has tried this, or knows how it compares to other aftershaves (read: should I try something else, or if it works, just stick with it?)

Thanks

I have some which I got as a gift and I use it occasionally. It seems a bit heavier than some options, so I don't always need/want it. But, as you've noted, it could be just the ticket for Mid-Western winters. No need to throw it out (which, with some products, is probably a good option). That said, I just noticed the price ($24) at the link. Yikes! You can do gobs better with much lower priced alternatives, including (IMHO) some you can probably get in your local drug store, and certainly with lots of options available online. Just check the reviews thread. Good luck!

I started shaving a month or so ago, and I have only used AHAVA

That's an interesting name.
Ahava is the Hebrew word for the type of love that is mind consuming.

It's also a river, (the one were the Jewish exiles assembled with Ezra when leaving Babylon) so I'm guessing they pulled it from that.

...I think their distribution method absolutely sucks - and that speaks volumes about the company and its ethics.

You mean "available in stores"?? I find Ahava products at several local stores... Do you mean how they distribute TO the stores??? We don't have a ton of selections locally but Ahava is one I can find (along with C&E, AOS and L'Occitane).

That said, I've tried (and like) their hand and foot creams. They are pricey but they're effective. Have not tried their aftershave but probably will one day.

Ken

You mean "available in stores"?? I find Ahava products at several local stores... Do you mean how they distribute TO the stores??? We don't have a ton of selections locally but Ahava is one I can find (along with C&E, AOS and L'Occitane).

That said, I've tried (and like) their hand and foot creams. They are pricey but they're effective. Have not tried their aftershave but probably will one day.

Ken

The brand I referred to in my link (Beauty Mineral) is sold here at stands in shopping malls - not in stores. The people working at the stalls are Israelis, from what I can tell, they are here as tourists or on short term visas.

The product is available from several retailers on line at prices starting around $25. These crooks have been trying to peddle it in the malls at up to $200. When I asked them to explain their absurd prices, they told me the difference was because of tax. This, of course, is an absolute lie.

Like most Australians, I welcome tourists to our country. Because of the distance, and the cost, there are working-holiday visas that enable young people to work part time while they explore the country. I'm totally unimpressed that they come over here and, instead of behaving as a guest should, they try to rip-off the locals. What really pisses me off is that one of the locals they ripped off is my daughter - who bought me a tube of the ASB as a welcome home present.

The company that manufactures this product, cannot be unaware of how it is being distributed.

Rant endeth.

Cheers

Jeremy

The brand I referred to in my link (Beauty Mineral) is sold here at stands in shopping malls - not in stores. The people working at the stalls are Israelis, from what I can tell, they are here as tourists or on short term visas.

Got'cha Jeremy,

I seriously doubt this is related to Ahava (and maybe you aren't implying that). While I haven't seen Beauty Mineral around here anywhere, I'm all to familiar with similar marketing strategies. We see them here in the Malls every Christmas. Booths set up offering anything you can imagine. All fully satisfaction guaranteed of course. And on the day after Christmas, the booth is gone forever.

At any rate, I get it! Here's that all unsavory vendors of every ilk get their just deserts!

Ken

(edit - Looking at Beauty Mineral's web site, it looks to me like they are trying to capitalize on the success of companies like Ahava (though I have no evidence that they are or are not actually related). The web site looks "legit" (or maybe I only noticed the woman there wearing only mud?? Dunno ;-) )

I'm not really sure whether the two companies are related. I've just noticed that Ahava has a local distributor and a local web site, so I'll give them a call tomorrow, satisfy my curiosity, and post an update.

Cheers

Jeremy

I'm not really sure whether the two companies are related. I've just noticed that Ahava has a local distributor and a local web site, so I'll give them a call tomorrow, satisfy my curiosity, and post an update.

Cheers

Jeremy

I'm fairly sure it's two different companies. I know of Ahava, and they have stores here in TO(Toronto, Ontario) if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't used their stuff so I can't say if it's good or bad. Pricy, but other than that I can't comment. If it works, go with it, IMO.

I'm fairly sure it's two different companies. I know of Ahava, and they have stores here in TO(Toronto, Ontario) if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't used their stuff so I can't say if it's good or bad. Pricy, but other than that I can't comment. If it works, go with it, IMO.

I thought everyone in Israel was related :a22:

Cheers

Jeremy

That's an interesting name.
Ahava is the Hebrew word for the type of love that is mind consuming.

It's also a river, (the one were the Jewish exiles assembled with Ezra when leaving Babylon) so I'm guessing they pulled it from that.

I believe AHAVA originated in Israel. They pride themselves on using dead sea minerals in their products. I purchased their creams in Israel about 10 years ago (before they came to the states). I've personally never tried their ASB. Their creams are very moisturizing, but I think there are equally good cheaper options out there.

Just checked with the local Ahava distributor. The lady I spoke with promised me that they have nothing at all to do with the Beauty Minerals brand. I may just give the Ahava products a go. I won't go anywhere near the Beauty Minerals products and if anyone does want to buy their stuff, check their prices very carefully.

Cheers

Jeremy

"Ahava" (אהבה) means "love", pure and simple. It's a verb (transitive and reflexive), a noun, an adjective, and an adverb; the secret is in the conjugation.

AHAVA has a world-wide reputation for high-quality, hypo-allergenic, skin-care products. You can find them here quite easily, but of course the price is going to be noticibly higher: it's sent from Israel by air (costs money), US Customs collects its import duties (more money), and Federal/State taxes are also paid (yet more money).

Did you think it was going to be for free? You get what you pay for. Do you think that $7-a-bottle French champagne from the supermarket is going to be worth drinking? I didn't think so.

Both of my twentysomething daughters were born-and-raised in Israel and, after their IDF (Israeli armed forces) service, both came to the US to work "the season" (Halloween through early-January) in shopping malls, selling "things" from a cart in an aisle.

It's true that many Israelis do this after their military service, and it's true that many (perhaps most) of them are here on tourist visas, with no legal right to work. Both my daughters are dual American-Israeli citizens, so it wasn't an issue for them.

Did your kids serve in your country's armed forces for three years, immediately upon graduating high school? Mine did; so did our extended-families' kids, our friends' kids, our co-workers' kids, and our neighbors' kids. Taking a six-month extended vacation, upon completion of their military service, prior to starting a 3-to-5-year program for a BA/BS and MA/MS at one of Israel's universities, is a lot less than many of their counterparts in other countries expect/demand (and get), during and after graduating high school.

Don't vilify them for working at jobs that local kids wouldn't want to do.

Next week, we tackle the thorny subject of Immigration!

JB, good to hear from you on this topic.

I have no issue with the Ahava products. Initially I thought that they may have been from the same company as Beauty Minerals. They are not. That's a good thing. Ahava seem like an honorable company with fine products. Whatever price point they want to go to market at is up to them.

However, the fact that Israeli youth serve in the army has nothing to do with the fact that a mob of them over here (in Australia) are trying to rip off locals by charging them 5, 6 or 7 times the market rate for products in the Beauty Minerals range. Israelis, like people from every other nation, have a mix of decent folk and crooks. The ones over here are guests. They applied to come here as guests. They should behave like guests. Instead, they have abused this country's hospitality and goodwill, and should, in my opinion, be told to leave.

I don't have any problems with kids selling stuff from carts. To be truthful, I don't have any problem with kids on tourists visas doing some work, pocketing some cash and not being too concerned about tax. I don't like rip-off merchants, and the ones who are dumb enough to rip-off my daughter can expect to feel the pain. I'm guessing that you don't feel any differently about your daughters.

Cheers

Jeremy

I guess I'm not getting it. Some company is using young folks to sell a product at a price that seems to be ridiculously too high. Some people willingly pay the price. Some people say no, thanks, and life goes on. Sounds like commerce to me.

I guess I'm not getting it. Some company is using young folks to sell a product at a price that seems to be ridiculously too high. Some people willingly pay the price. Some people say no, thanks, and life goes on. Sounds like commerce to me.

That holds true. But only up to a point. If someone tries to sell you a product for $200, when you can buy it for $25-30, would you consider them people worthy of doing business with? The fact that they manage to lie and con a few gullible people into paying that price, doesn't make them a legit operator. To my mind, they are crooks.

Cheers

Jeremy

Top Bottom