What's new

Antique store find

I went to a local antique store today with my daughter and scoured 3 floors of antiques. I first found a floral decorated mug with a rubber set brush but the price was not right. Did not find any razors but I did pick up 2 old spice shaving mugs. The first is similar to others I have seen on b&b but the second only has a picture of a ship. It does have the same Old Spice Shulton branding on the bottom. Both mugs have 6 ridges inside them. Anyone know anything about these?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400370603.669278.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400370619.233012.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400370628.921264.jpg

Not sure why tapatalk doesn't upload photos correctly but I did take the picture right side up. From what I have read these mugs are more recent since they are the 6 ridge mugs. The mug with writing on it has a 41 on the bottom and the other one has a 10, not sure if that helps?

I reorganized the shave den last night (moving razors off the counter due to my daughter's ability to climb up) and found my grandfather's old Williams puck that was in the bottom of his shaving mug. It fit in the old spice mug worth plenty of extra space. Lathered it this morning after soaking it for a bit, since it is at least 20 years old and looked dry. It worked really well. The puck raises the brush above the rim of the mug so it doesn't hit the side. I was originally thinking about selling or trading one of them. They are very comfortable to hold and easy to hold on to.

I have 5 of them, all with different soaps in them. Unfortunately none are filled with OS soap. They're great for loading.

It's cool that you could use your grandpa's soap. Something sentimental about knowing the last time it was lathered up, it was your grandpa.

Neat, too, that it raises the handle up so you don't bang the brush around.

Went back to the same antique store today and found some more good stuff. There were 2 Gems (1912 and Micromatic OC), a Valet Auto Strop, and many more bottles of Avon aftershave. Took a few picks of some finds and a pic of what I chose (last one). Here's what is on the brush, doesn't seem to have a brand though (unless strong set is it).

"Set in Rubber
Strong Set
Trade Mark USA
Sterilized"

The scuttle has crabtree and evelyn, London on the bottom but no other markings. The 2 avon bottles are full, 1 is Wild Country and the other is Spicy

$IMG_20141016_135700.jpg$IMG_20141016_135726.jpg$IMG_20141016_141702.jpgView attachment 508227

Went back to the same antique store today and found some more good stuff. There were 2 Gems (1912 and Micromatic OC), a Valet Auto Strop, and many more bottles of Avon aftershave. Took a few picks of some finds and a pic of what I chose (last one). Here's what is on the brush, doesn't seem to have a brand though (unless strong set is it).

"Set in Rubber
Strong Set
Trade Mark USA
Sterilized"

The scuttle has crabtree and evelyn, London on the bottom but no other markings. The 2 avon bottles are full, 1 is Wild Country and the other is Spicy

View attachment 508224View attachment 508225View attachment 508226View attachment 508227

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! That bride of yours sure is a good one, considering you went razor hunting on your wedding anniversary!

Thanks and I agree she is great. Only reason I went was that she was working. I did take her to lunch and we are celebrating this weekend.

Top Bottom