What's new

Antaeus = I'm in LOVE!

After reading so many reviews about Chanel Antaeus and after having sampled countless scents, I finally took the plunge and blind purchased Antaeus directly from the Chanel website (less expensive than Amazon).

It just arrived and I sprayed one pump on the back of one of my business cards and let it sit for a few minutes. I then smelled it and WOW is all i can say. It's exactly what's I've been looking for. I'm not a scent aficionado so I don't want to embarrass myself and try to describe this amazing EDT.... I will leave that up to those who know what they're talking about. In a nutshell, I've been looking for a man's man cologne and to me, this is it. All I can say is this is one amazing fragrance and I'm just sitting here smiling from feeling that I hit a home run with this purchase.

Hi M139,

I've actually never posted in the Fragrance forum but I just wanted to say I agree it's an amazing scent, very masculine and sexy as my wife says. You might want to sniff some Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (green bottle). Although it does not smell identical of course, for some reason one reminds me a little of the other and thus you may enjoy it. It's a fair price (very fair price, hell one can say it's actually pretty cheap even) and thus you really can't go wrong. Next time you are in a department store try to take a sniff and compare it to your Antaeus it may give you that same vibe as it does for me, my wife, brother, sister and father.

Hi M139,

I've actually never posted in the Fragrance forum but I just wanted to say I agree it's an amazing scent, very masculine and sexy as my wife says. You might want to sniff some Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (green bottle). Although it does not smell identical of course, for some reason one reminds me a little of the other and thus you may enjoy it. It's a fair price (very fair price, hell one can say it's actually pretty cheap even) and thus you really can't go wrong. Next time you are in a department store try to take a sniff and compare it to your Antaeus it may give you that same vibe as it does for me, my wife, brother, sister and father.

Hmm, Antaeus and Paco Rabanne PH. Its interesting the way noses work, because I'd be hard pushed to think of two fragrances that seem more different to me - I love them both, but one would never remind me of the other.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did sample Paco Rabanne PH and it's a bit "fresher" than Antaeus but I did not enjoy it as much. That day that I sample PR PH, I ended up buying Terre D'Hermes instead. I never saw Antaeus in the store; otherwise I would have for sure purchased it!

Hi M139,

Its defintiely masculine and I can see women over 35 to find it very attractive.
I personally do not use it because I am 33 but I will probably start within a few years.

Check out Guerlain Derby

Antaeus, probably my favourite male fragrance. I have never tried the "old" formulation, which many say is far superior, but love the current version anyway. That smoky, besswax incense is irresistibe, the only problem being that I find myself sniffing myself regularly when wearing it. It is to me like an old cashmere sweater - classy, luxurious, comfortable elegance.

Antaeus, probably my favourite male fragrance. I have never tried the "old" formulation, which many say is far superior, but love the current version anyway. That smoky, besswax incense is irresistibe, the only problem being that I find myself sniffing myself regularly when wearing it. It is to me like an old cashmere sweater - classy, luxurious, comfortable elegance.

Wore it last night out with some buddies to dinner. Weather was nice (rare occasion for August in Dallas) so we sat on the patio. Every time the breeze picked up, I got a whiff and I loved it. Honestly, at this point, I don't care what anyone thinks of this cologne on me... I'm wearing it for me.

I'm so glad I bought it.

After reading so many reviews about Chanel Antaeus and after having sampled countless scents, I finally took the plunge and blind purchased Antaeus directly from the Chanel website (less expensive than Amazon).

It just arrived and I sprayed one pump on the back of one of my business cards and let it sit for a few minutes. I then smelled it and WOW is all i can say. It's exactly what's I've been looking for. I'm not a scent aficionado so I don't want to embarrass myself and try to describe this amazing EDT.... I will leave that up to those who know what they're talking about. In a nutshell, I've been looking for a man's man cologne and to me, this is it. All I can say is this is one amazing fragrance and I'm just sitting here smiling from feeling that I hit a home run with this purchase.

I agree completely, this is an amazing fragrance and truly in a class of its own

I too recently bought Antaeus directly from Chanel, however I had a different experience. I have had a sample of Antaeus for sometime which I bought from Perfumed Court I think, and I decided to pull the trigger and get a bottle from Chanel, however when I got the bottle it smelled NOTHING like the sample I have. Not sure if it was a bad bottle, or if it has been recently reformulated again, but I got a very weak bottle of something that smelled vaguely of Rive Gauche, but weak and powdery. No beeswax, no wood, no castoreum, nothing, plus it didn't last at all. I sent it back, now I'm in quandry, as I'm not sure if I should try and get another bottle, or not. I can't imagine Chanel is sending out bad bottles of Antaeus, but this stuff was nothing like the sample I have, which I doubt is vintage. I may need to try again just to be sure, I guess I can always return another bottle if necessary.

If you guys like Antaeus (which I love, too)
You must try Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur and Oud Ispahan by Dior
Honestly, I think Oud Ispahan will be my favorite this fall along with Dior Homme intense

I love Antaeus too, I have an older bottle from my grandfather, so I haven't tried the newest version, but it is amazing. If you want to try something in the same vein but different, give 273 Rodeo Drive by Fred Hayman a try. It is like Antaeus and Dali Pour Homme made a baby, a magnificent fragrant baby.

I'm gonna accept any of the flaming I'm about to receive and say that I was thoroughly disappointed by Chanel's Antaeus. I finally buckled a little while ago and ordered a 5 ml decant, along with a 2.5 ml of the original Egoiste. On the first spray its very strong, I get a ton of leather and woods, smells great! But after it starts to dry down, some floral notes creep in and ruin it for me. I can see why people like this frag, but I just despise that floral note. Floral is also the reason why I HATED egoiste (scrubber). The overpowering rose note leads to a very feminine smelling men's perfume that is far too cloying and powerful, I was shocked and couldn't believe it was so highly regarded. Overall, extremely disappointed with almost everything I've smelt from Chanel.

To top it off, when I pop the cap off my Antaeus decant and sniff the sprayer, HOOOLLLLYYY smokes! I'm not just biased because I know what the notes in Antaeus are, but I swear I smell a large furry rodents wet behind. Thankfully I don't detect this when wearing it, but who knows what others smell....:blink:

Of course, just one man's opinion, YMMV!

I don't even understand how you can smell the leather and woods in it. All I get is the smell of musk. I must have a poor sniffer.

Antaeus is the best thing Chanel ever produced. It is definitely one of my all time favorites.

I just got ahold of some Egoiste Cologne Concentre and it's hard for me to imagine they've made anything better than that! In fact, it's kind of hard for me to imagine anyone makes anything better than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom