What's new

Another new (old) Star - and a question...

Hey fellow LOSER's,

just won another new (old) Star from the 'bay and received it in the mail today and couldn't wait to see it! Ripped the package and opened the case to find:

$star-razor.jpg

I suspect that it's a later version of the Star razor I got a few weeks ago as there seems to be some added refinements to hold a modern SE razor better: the side guides are now attached to the front comb via spring arms, the back clip is much stronger, and the blade edge stops are more pronounced. Not sure if the handle is original to the head either as it isn't hollow at the bottom like others I've seen of this vintage. Not even sure the box is original, either, but that's not the biggest mystery that came in the box...

Along with the cool wedge SE blade (these things were more like pieces of a knife cut into bits for shaving compared to today's modern SE's), in the box as well were the two little metal 'things'. They seem like retention clips of some sort, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they'd be used for. Here's a bigger pic of them next to the wedge that came with the razor:

$blade-closeup.jpg

Anyone know what they are and if they're part of the razor itself? Do I need to keep them? I have heard of 'wedge adapters' but I can't see how these could be that, or if they are, how they'd be used.

So, I call on my fellow LOSER's for aide! Any help appreciated!

Along with the cool wedge SE blade (these things were more like pieces of a knife cut into bits for shaving compared to today's modern SE's), in the box as well were the two little metal 'things'. They seem like retention clips of some sort, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they'd be used for.

I don't have a sure answer, but I wonder if they're the hinge clips that cause the case lid to snap open and closed. They don't look like they'd be quite deep enough to be that, but maybe they've been flattened out a bit, or had their ends broken off...? :confused1

Hey MacDaddy,
the lid doesn't snap open or close so that could be the answer, but I don't see a location where they could have come from. The two pieces aren't exactly identical either, and you comment got me to thinking that maybe it isn't 2 pieces at all, but 2 broken pieces of one whole.

Playing with it a bit more and putting the 2 halves together, they do line up into a symmetrical whole, so I'm more convinced that it's a broken 'something' rather than 2 'somethings' - but again I donno what that 'something' is. Can't tell if it originally was a flattened cylinder before it broke, or if it was a cylinder that was flattened and then broke. Anyone have any ideas?

Hey MacDaddy,
the lid doesn't snap open or close so that could be the answer, but I don't see a location where they could have come from.

If that was what they were they would have come from under the lining that covers the rear hinge of the case -- assuming that it is actually hinged and not just a fabric "hinge." Here's an old thread with an example of one from a Gillette case.

The two pieces aren't exactly identical either, and you comment got me to thinking that maybe it isn't 2 pieces at all, but 2 broken pieces of one whole.

Playing with it a bit more and putting the 2 halves together, they do line up into a symmetrical whole, so I'm more convinced that it's a broken 'something' rather than 2 'somethings' - but again I donno what that 'something' is. Can't tell if it originally was a flattened cylinder before it broke, or if it was a cylinder that was flattened and then broke. Anyone have any ideas?

Man, I'm stumped. It might have just been some little bit of junk that got thrown into the case with the razor at some point.

the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to the "little bit of junk" idea, too. will leave it in the case just to be sure as it will just sit with all the others that I don't know what to do with too.

I need to clean this and the vintage brush I just got - they got that soap scum feeling on them... it's one of those things I don't like about getting vintage razors >.<

Just a guess- they could have been a previous owner's improv, to hold the "new" Gem disposable blades snugly. They look like they would fit on top of a blaed, below the retaining ramps, on either side.

Just a guess- they could have been a previous owner's improv, to hold the "new" Gem disposable blades snugly. They look like they would fit on top of a blaed, below the retaining ramps, on either side.

That type of Star will work with modern thin blades as it is. Not saying someone wouldn't possibly fiddle with it to change the blade angle, perhaps, but no real modification should be necessary.

Top Bottom