What's new

Another Handle in the making.

Wow, you do great work by hand. I can't imagine trying to make the bulb, or the ridge, consistent around the whole brush.

I've thought about buying a small lathe, at times, to try to make myself a brush, but at the end of the day I am not sure I would be very good at it.

Thank you both for the kind words.

After sanding with 60, 80, 120, 150, 220 and 400 grit

i also brought in the top half a little bit, i thought it was too wide.

pics taken from all angles, so you can see the imperfections.

I put one of my brushes behind it (for reference), it has a 24mm knot. looks like i will have to get a bigger knot. Not sure if i should go with a 26 or 28mm.

Been working on 3 brushes, and work got slow enough that i had time to order the knots. And i can finally finish these.

Brush #1, in a simpsons CH3 style.

I went with 24mm black badger, i've been wanting to use one of these. Since i thought it would be different.

Handle width- 1-3/4 inches
Handle height- just under 2 inches
I made the hole 3/4 inches deep to give it good backbone.

Last edited:
Brush #2.

After looking up various wood grains, i couldn't find what it was. The guy at Rockler said it was some type of south american cut.

28mm silvertip from TGN

Handle height - 3 inches
Handle width - 2 inches (top and bottom)
middle part that curves in - 1 1/4 inch

George,

Those look great. Truly handmade and homemade. They seem to be slightly asymmetrical, which makes them unique with lots of character before the first shave. Congratulations on great looking brushes.

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

Dave, i have to thank you for the soak method. It works like a charm. Now i think i might redo my first brush, to give it this shiny finish.

I am always impressed by those handles being done essentially by hand as opposed to merely machined and spun. There is a certain 'warmness' about them, similar to the wooden toys I played with as a child. Nicely done. One of a kind stuff.

Thank you Jim!

Well, i was very reluctant to post this last brush because i didn't make it (i guess i can say it's more of a restoration). I was out jogging and i found this piece of wood on the ground. It looked like a small leg for something. When i saw it, i thought i could convert it into a brush. I did have to sand the finish that it had, and i also made the top and bottom smaller than it was.

The top part that i drilled the hole on, had an extra bump that i sawed off. I'm not sure what kind of cut it is, but it's the biggest brush i've worked on so far. It will have a 27mm boar knot in it.

The bottom has this circular pattern, and a small 1/4 inch hole that i think had the all thread bolt in it. Initally i thought of making the hole on that side and have the round comfortable bottom for an ergonomic feel. But i decided against it.

I saw these compass medallions at the craft store, and i thought it would look cool on the bottom. It covers most of it. There was also a bronze colored one, i'm not sure which one i will use. I guess once the handle is out of the marine spar soak, i can match the color to the medallion.

Top Bottom