What's new

Animated Gillette advertisement about proper blade and razor usage (1940s)

I saw this today on youtube and found it interesting. I see on forums and youtube that there's a difference of opinion about wiping blades, or even stropping DEs. In this animation they say that even improper unwrapping of the blade can cause damage to the cutting edge, and say not to wipe it at all. Of course the blades were different then, without the coatings they have now, but it made me think. I'm going to try both ways. I was actually stropping after wiping dry, using a small piece of leather. This week I'm just going to rinse and see if I notice any difference.

indeed, don't strop modern blades on leather.

the modern stainless and coated blades are indeed quantum leap over the old carbon steel uncoated blades.

for current blades, imho, wipe is fine, or lightly strop on cotton/canvas just to clean off the blade.

gillette blue blade-MD4_4926-Edit.jpg

So we aren't supposed to wipe the excess lather off the blade and use it for the next shave? :facep:
NO! HELL NO! you have a disposable income to buy disposable blades !!! After all Mr Gillette was a God and as such he did doth Decree in 1904 NO stropping or Re-sharpening this blade! :sneaky2: [cough]

I've wondereded what the single line on one edge and double lines on the other edge where meant for, although I don't know how applicable keeping each edge for different days seems nowdays with modern blades.

NO! HELL NO! you have a disposable income to buy disposable blades !!! After all Mr Gillette was a God and as such he did doth Decree in 1904 NO stropping or Re-sharpening this blade! :sneaky2: [cough]
I say that because similar threads have been started on the subject.

Personally, I don't save my lather or handle the blade until it needs replacing.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Personally, I don't save my lather or handle the blade until it needs replacing.
What?!?!?! :eek2:

This probably means you don't save your toothpaste goop spit after brushing in a repurposed(or not) ashtray for use the next time? My world is rocked!!! 😱

What?!?!?! :eek2:

This probably means you don't save your toothpaste goop spit after brushing in a repurposed(or not) ashtray for use the next time? My world is rocked!!! 😱
I don't keep leftover gravy from my dinner plate either, the dog usually gets it on her food.

I'm weird that way.

I saw this today on youtube and found it interesting. I see on forums and youtube that there's a difference of opinion about wiping blades, or even stropping DEs. In this animation they say that even improper unwrapping of the blade can cause damage to the cutting edge, and say not to wipe it at all. Of course the blades were different then, without the coatings they have now, but it made me think. I'm going to try both ways. I was actually stropping after wiping dry, using a small piece of leather. This week I'm just going to rinse and see if I notice any difference.
Compare that to this:

:c6:

The old commercial looks much more better.

Top Bottom