What's new

An Unusual Vintage Gillette: British Excelsior Razor Set

I won this Gillette razor set off of eBay UK a while ago, branded "Excelsior". I've not seen this razor set being mentioned in B&B nor in mr-razor's site so I'd appreciate if B&B'ers can provide more information about this razor set:

The razor set in it's original shipper:
proxy.php

While it may not be clearly visible in this picture, just below the word "Excelsior", there are the words "Razor and blade British made" indicating that this is a British made set

The purple colored razor case in the shipper:
proxy.php

The razor set:
proxy.php

The razor itself is an aluminum tech with the words "Gillette" on the cap and the words "Made in England" in the base plate:
proxy.php

This is where I'm confused a bit. The price on the shipper is 10 shilliings & 6 pence which to my limited knowledge is a price that pre-dates Tech razor prices. But on the other hand, there is another similar set (minus the shipper) that I found in shaveworld which also has a tech albeit the fat handled version:
http://www.shaveworld.org/home/shav...&select2=&select3=&select4=&select5=&select6=

If any of you B&B'ers have similar sets, please do post yours and/or any information that you may have about this set!

That is a really cool set, although to me the Tech razor doesn't look correct. That razor is from the 70's, but the case and shipper look much earlier! And I almost think that the Fat Handle Tech on Shaveworld doesn't belong either... but I could be wrong.

Either way you definitely have a cool case and shipper from a very rare set (at least one that I've never heard of)!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this mystery!

Last edited:
Nice looking set,especially the diamond turned handle..I think tri33 is correct,that looks like an old,but charming , case...

Nice set King. Definitely don't think that's the correct razor to go with the set. I do remember seeing a similar set, but it has a standard single ring in the case. This piece is from Renzo's collection and he calls it out as a standard set, and indeed his is purple like yours. I also Googl'd "Excelsior" and the synonym was shaving? Don't know exactly what Gillette meant by this but hopefully we find out some more info.

$Gillette Bull dog and set No .jpg

I won this Gillette razor set off of eBay UK a while ago, branded "Excelsior". I've not seen this razor set being mentioned in B&B nor in mr-razor's site so I'd appreciate if B&B'ers can provide more information about this razor set:

If any of you B&B'ers have similar sets, please do post yours and/or any information that you may have about this set!

So you beat me on this one too! I thought you were having a break? Congrats mate?

the excelsior came with a ball end oldType and saw it twice before, have the same set too

Pics would be really helpful!

That is a really cool set, although to me the Tech razor doesn't look correct. That razor is from the 70's, but the case and shipper look much earlier! And I almost think that the Fat Handle Tech on Shaveworld doesn't belong either... but I could be wrong.

Either way you definitely have a cool case and shipper from a very rare set (at least one that I've never heard of)!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this mystery!
Thanks tri33. That's what I thought too.

Nice looking set,especially the diamond turned handle..I think tri33 is correct,that looks like an old,but charming , case...
The shipper (although given away in the corners) and the case are in excellent condition. Pity that that the razor is a mismatch!

Well, I think I found the case, but it looks like its a mismatched razor.

This is the closest match I can find. Your case looks to be in really nice condition!

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old%20Type/1920%20Bulldog.JPG
Thanks JazzyJ!

Nice set King. Definitely don't think that's the correct razor to go with the set. I do remember seeing a similar set, but it has a standard single ring in the case. This piece is from Renzo's collection and he calls it out as a standard set, and indeed his is purple like yours. I also Googl'd "Excelsior" and the synonym was shaving? Don't know exactly what Gillette meant by this but hopefully we find out some more info.
Thanks for the pictures elmerwood. It does look like this one would house a British Single Ring. Fortunately, I have an uncased British SR that I can put in this one to complete this set!

nice find, but I believe the razor is wrong. The shipper and price looks like the british Empire Set or Mayfair Set from the 20s. So I believe this set comes with a late Bull Dog or Single Ring.
Thanks Achim. Would you have pictures of British Bull Dog razors?

the excelsior came with a ball end oldType and saw it twice before, have the same set too
Pictures would be very helpful!

So you beat me on this one too! I thought you were having a break? Congrats mate?
This was one of the last two purchases before I went on a sabbatical. I'm still on the sabbatical - my last of the purchases was well over two weeks ago. Lest I come across *really* rare razor set, I intend to continue on the sabbatical for a while!

This was one of the last two purchases before I went on a sabbatical. I'm still on the sabbatical - my last of the purchases was well over two weeks ago. Lest I come across *really* rare razor set, I intend to continue on the sabbatical for a while!

AAHHHHHHH, so this means that you will not be bidding on the [censored] on eBay at the moment and I have a chance! Yippee

Funny i was just looking for That Case, Since i have a Loose Silver Bulldog Running around. :eek:/

Congrats and Nice Find. You are lucky i didn't see it on the bay. Then again Maybe not LOL.

The razor set in it's original shipper:

While it may not be clearly visible in this picture, just below the word "Excelsior", there are the words "Razor and blade British made" indicating that this is a British made set

The purple colored razor case in the shipper:
proxy.php

The razor set:

The razor itself is an aluminum tech with the words "Gillette" on the cap and the words "Made in England" in the base plate

This is where I'm confused a bit. The price on the shipper is 10 shilliings & 6 pence which to my limited knowledge is a price that pre-dates Tech razor prices. But on the other hand, there is another similar set (minus the shipper) that I found in shaveworld which also has a tech albeit the fat handled version:
http://www.shaveworld.org/home/shave_encyclopedia_details.php?id=606&shortname=Gillette%20Tech%2026&page=15&category=Safety&select1=&select2=&select3=&select4=&select5=&select6

This dont seem right.. he has posted the patents for a NEW razor but the case has a Heavy handle Tech razor in it. He also is not sure with his description when he stated " [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This could be rare as Excelsion was introduced with the Old Type model.[/FONT]" and spelled the word Excelsior wrong.

proxy.php

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Description:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Standard nickel-plated, double-edged Tech model with fluted handle and two purple covered card-board blade boxes put up in an Excelsior case that is leather-covered and satin lined.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manufacturer:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Gillette Safety Razor Company, England[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gillette[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Country:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]England[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Patent:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]U.S. numbers 1,815,745 and 1,858,316[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Comment:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This could be rare as Excelsion was introduced with the Old Type model.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sesam[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Editors:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]e sinker[/FONT]

B&B Member Amcrg has the razor that came in your set http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/349722-Excelsior-razor-any-info

and B&B member Kingie38 has a British made Exelsior but is missing some info on it.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/349722-Excelsior-razor-any-info

Alex, I don't think that razor is a Gillette. It's a different razor called the "Excelsior" manufactured by a non-Gillette manufacturer as you had mentioned in your replies to the OP. On the other hand, I'm glad to see that there is another Gillette Excelsior shipper like mine - I did check this thread when I won this set but Kingie38 had not posted in that Excelsior thread back then. But I did not check that thread recently!

Top Bottom