What's new

American Dubl Duck?

I recently purchased a vintage Dubl Duck Special No 1 and I am confused by the markings on the tang.

On one side there reads "Dubl Duck Special Number One"

Then on the opposite side it reads : "pearlduck dubl duck REG. U.S. PAT. OFF."

Anyone have a clue what this is about?

Also the ducks seem different on both sides, is this an aging factor, or a part of the Dubl Duck design? (i.e. not every Marshall Amp has the white Letters spelling Marshall, only the front grill).

This is a complicated subject.

What we generally refer to as DD consists actually of three sparate companies going back to the 1920s. The Bresnick co, Bresduck and Pearlduck. Each iteration made their own models and the wording and logo's can all be different. originally Bresnick just used CS Bresnick on his razors later he adopted the DD logo.

So depending on the company and the time period they can all look different. Either way they never actually manufactured anything but were barber supply wholesalers so all their razors were made for them. The big question is by who? probably several makers and they sold name brand razors with their name on them like the famous Puma-Ducks for instance.

This is a complicated subject.

What we generally refer to as DD consists actually of three sparate companies going back to the 1920s. The Bresnick co, Bresduck and Pearlduck. Each iteration made their own models and the wording and logo's can all be different. originally Bresnick just used CS Bresnick on his razors later he adopted the DD logo.

So depending on the company and the time period they can all look different. Either way they never actually manufactured anything but were barber supply wholesalers so all their razors were made for them. The big question is by who? probably several makers and they sold name brand razors with their name on them like the famous Puma-Ducks for instance.

So it is possible to have an American made Dubl Duck with these markings?

My understanding is that they were all made in Europe (probably only Solingen too). The patents don't really matter in terms of where the razor was made.

It's possible some of the very early Bresnick razors were made in the U.S. They are not marked to origin so you can't tell but the later ones were all German made with the exception of one French made model also one of the older ones. If it's says Pearlduck it's German.

Top Bottom