What's new

Alum Block VS. Witch Hazel

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
This is actually an interesting thread.

Forget the witch hazel or alum question.

Lets go back to basics and focus on the shaving routine.

What are the steps, and WHY do you use the items? (During, and afterwards).

1) Prep face for shave
2) Shave
3) If you nicked yourself, stop the bleeding
4) Antiseptic, to kill bacteria on freshly shaved skin
5) Lotion or balm to moisturize or refresh skin
6) "Smell good"

So, numbers 1 & 2 are pretty self-explanatory.

Number three can go a few ways. You can use an alum block, or you can use a styptic pencil. (A styptic pencil is just powered potassium alum [and a wax binder]...the same as an alum block).

Now...#4 is where the process opens-up and divides into different paths.

There are a few reasons why people will go one way or another. (Alum or witch hazel).

Like was mentioned, sometimes people have negative reactions to one, and will go to the other. There may also be a price difference. There might be a scent issue. One might have other properties (like skin toning) that the other does not have, etc...

But in my view (Hey...this response is my personal, irreducible minimum, opinion of shaving), I follow the above steps. Why use witch hazel, alum, different scents, multiple toners and skin balms, all at once?

Just a bunch of different scents and chemicals thrown onto our face...for what?

Because others are doing it? Because I have always done it like this? Because my dad (or hairy mom) showed me this way? Because the advertising is always right? Because the label say I need it? Because I have never REALLY thought about it? Blah...blah...blah...

I guess I do not really have a definitive answer to why people do what they do.

But in MY MIND, and in trying to keep everything simple (soap only, antiseptic only, toner/balm only, fragrance only), I use the below routine.

Here is my routine:

1) Pre-shave prep - Always after the shower, and I wet my face before shaving.
2) Shave - Unscented Soap Commander. (Captain's Choice Nor'easter on my non-cologne days).
3) Nicks - Styptic pencil. The powered-form absorbs much easier into the cut than a solid alum block
4) Antiseptic - EITHER alum block, or witch hazel. Never both. And witch hazel without toners.
5) Lotion or balm - It must be non-oily. (Captain's Choice Nor'easter Balm on my non-cologne days).
6) I don't use aftershave - The antiseptic part was already done, and I use cologne. (Unless its a non-cologne day).

Just my thoughts.

And don't hate me cuz I'm bald.

Alum is an astringent with antiseptic properties, good for tightening the pores and taking care of nicks, weepers, etc. It also provides feedback on irritation areas, giving a burn/sting in those areas, which can help improve your technique. If you have dry skin be careful about using it, it could add to the dryness.

WH comes in both astringent or toner. If you use alum, the WH astringent is redundant. Toner is good for moisturizing the skin, and it can soothe the skin after a shave. Keep in mind that some AS contains WH so it really might not be necessary to add a separate step to your routine.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Alum . . . rinse . . . homebrew AS (WH/4711/glycerin/jojoba).

The alum block gives a nice finish to the shave. It offers feedback, revealing rough spots; and, depending on the sting, signals closeness. I apply the block after rinsing off my lather, and rinse it off once I clean my brush and bowl.

Then, I apply a WH-based homebrew AS for the feel it imparts. 4711 (or, sometimes, Pinaud Lime Sec) kills the stink of the WH, and because its scent is fleeting, does not conflict with any frag I might use.

Finally, I lightly re-wet my face and apply a wee bit of CeraVe moisturizing cream.

Sounds like a lot, but it all only adds a minute or two to the routine.

Witch Hazel only for me. No alum block. Alum irritates my skin for some reason. Many use both. They both have cleansing and antiseptic properties.

I have the same irritation problem from Alum. People with very sensitive skin or very dry skin should stay away from Alum Blocks. Some people with a slight case of sensitive skin use Alum and get away with it but it really depends on how sensitive your skin is. It’s torture for me. I use a septic pencil if I have a cut to close after shaving. So it’s Thayer or Humphrey witch hazel for me.

I use both. I use the alum to ease any irritation I might feel, stop any weepers, although they are few and far between, and as a toner to tighten the skin on my face a bit. I leave it on for enough time as it takes me to clean up my gear and sink area and then rinse it off with cold water. I then use witch hazel applied with a cotton ball as an antiseptic. I feel as though it helps heal my skin after scraping a sharp blade over it numerous times. I leave it on and once it's dried I will use an aftershave splash or a balm, depending on how my skin feels and time of year.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use both Alum & witch hazel and when I first started traditional wet shaving I used Alum after each shave to feel how the shave went. Alum is a Potassium salt and I found over time my skin seemed a little drier after rinsing with cold water after a minute on my face in the winter months. Alum works well but I bought some cheaper product and it seemed a little different than my old Razorock Alum and I only use it occasionally, now I mostly use Dickinson's Witch Hazel. Most Witch Hazel has around 14% alcohol unless it is a toner type and has no Alcohol. Alcohol does a couple of important purposes IMO and it acts as a Astringent and also helps better shelf life. WH has a pungent scent that quickly dissipates and I find it gentler on my skin and like it a little more. Witch Hazel is also used with folks who have skin issues with great results. So I use both but mostly witch hazel over the last 14 months. I also use Witch Hazel to dilute strong scented aftershaves & colognes.

I use both Alum & witch hazel and when I first started traditional wet shaving I used Alum after each shave to feel how the shave went. Alum is a Potassium salt and I found over time my skin seemed a little drier after rinsing with cold water after a minute on my face in the winter months. Alum works well but I bought some cheaper product and it seemed a little different than my old Razorock Alum and I only use it occasionally, now I mostly use Dickinson's Witch Hazel. Most Witch Hazel has around 14% alcohol unless it is a toner type and has no Alcohol. Alcohol does a couple of important purposes IMO and it acts as a Astringent and also helps better shelf life. WH has a pungent scent that quickly dissipates and I find it gentler on my skin and like it a little more. Witch Hazel is also used with folks who have skin issues with great results. So I use both but mostly witch hazel over the last 14 months. I also use Witch Hazel to dilute strong scented aftershaves & colognes.

Never thought about diluting strong scented colognes and after shaves. That’s a wonderful idea. I must try that. Thank you

Ron R

Never thought about diluting strong scented colognes and after shaves. That’s a wonderful idea. I must try that. Thank you
When I use witch hazel in my aftershave I decanter into a small vessel(glass atomizer or small glass decanter) because I like to keep the original virgin lexer in its container . Witch hazel will sometimes cloud up the new lexer because of powders that are in the original aftershave. Thought I should mention that if experimenting, I like a 1:4 mixture to start out and adjust accordingly. I learned a little from experimenting what they put in aftershaves or colognes like oils or powders.

When I use witch hazel in my aftershave I decanter into a small vessel(glass atomizer or small glass decanter) because I like to keep the original virgin lexer in its container . Witch hazel will sometimes cloud up the new lexer because of powders that are in the original aftershave. Thought I should mention that if experimenting, I like a 1:4 mixture to start out and adjust accordingly. I learned a little from experimenting what they put in aftershaves or colognes like oils or powders.
Is this one part WH and four parts AS or vice versa?

Ron R

Is this one part WH and four parts AS or vice versa?
1 AS : 4 WH ratio approx! Some times colognes are so strong you personally tweak it to your level of scent. Dab a little mid arm and check it every once in a while because once its on your face that scent will not be detected after 10 min to your smell senses because they are over whelmed.

When first started DE shaving, I used alum but found after a while it tends to irritate my neck area causing redness and itchiness. Now I use Thayer's mixed with essential oils. Alum is on standby for stopping weepers.

Top Bottom