What's new

Alum block question

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My only use for alum is either to stop a minor bleed or to make a slippery razor a bit grippier. I've never understood running it over your face as a zamboni over ice. It's a salt and leaves your face feeling artificially tight.

Oh, it can be used as a deodorant as well. For some it's enough, for me, it won't make it through the day in summer.

Put the alum block in a baggie. Take a hammer and pulverize a corner. Mash and separate that portion to apply to cuts and weepers as needed with a damp finger to stop bleeding. Wet and use the rest of the block under your arms instead of deodorant. Win-win.

Reactions: JVS
I bet you are using too much presure. You might think you don't, but I think you do. Your razor should slide across the skin as gentle as possible. It might feel like it's doing nothing, and that's okay. When you feel the razor is leaving stubble it will be tempting to press a little harder. Don't. That's what the next pass is for. Relather and go again. Just as gentle. Slow wins the race.

If you still get bumps, I can recommend this product:

Bumps Gel.jpg

I use an alum block, but my skin isn't overly sensitive.
I don't leave it on for more than 5 or 10 seconds and followup with a good balm.
That seems to prevent drying the skin to my much - and I live in a very dry climate.

Top Bottom