What's new

Alum block, aftershave, or both?

Used to use the alum block daily but I stopped randomly one day a couple years ago, can’t remember why exactly, and rarely have ever picked it back up since.

My post shave routine now is rubbing in excess lather all over shaved skin and letting it sit for a moment while I clean gear, cold water rinse, 2 applications of my witch hazel/aloe blend, AS or ASB, and then frag.

Rinse, alum, rinse, post-shave oil, moisturizer (lotion), then aftershave. My skin is the best it's been in my 60 years of having skin.

If I were to get something like PAA Star Jelly, would that be sufficient enough to hydrate my skin? I assume the alcohol will due it's part as an astringent, but there is no witch hazel. I'm not sure if the other ingredients would help reduce irritation and redness as witch hazel would do. I could always use Thayers before applying it I guess. The Doppelgänger Black Label Star Jelly Aftershave peaks my interest for it's scent.

Any recommendations for an aftershave that contains witch hazel that has a great scent that lasts? I figure I can use something like PAA Mysterium Serum or Barrister and Mann's unscented balm for moisturization/hydration if I go this route.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I use both. I think it is force of habit for me. Never used balm until recently.
It’s a Zen thing.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Rince, wash face with spectrojel, moisturize. I do have an alum block that I used to use but stopped after a while and haven't used it since. Wasn't really adding anything for me. Actually now that I think about it I might toss it, its one of those big natural deodorant diglett looking ones.

Alum block should only be used when necessary and that is to seal nicks. Alum is a salt, so it has no benefits for your skin, on the contrary - it dries the skin and in the long run it can be harmful. In case of a rough shave, it can cause severe irritation.

Witch Hazel (allegedly) calms the skin and sooths irritation, so again - if there's no irritation, no point in using it.

Me, I never use neither alum, nor WH, as I have leaned to use my razors properly, so I don't end up with irritation.

The only post-shave appliance that has an actual benefit for the skin is a moisturizing balm, unless you have an oily skin, in which case you should rather use an alcohol based splash instead.

Bottom-line is this: use the best quality soap/cream, as that alone will treat your skin. After the shave use a splash/balm to your liking. No need to use alum or WH at all.

Ok this morning I was happy to have an alumn block to stop the bleeding.

so in general only when i f...up and have to stop the bleeding.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I used alum for years then stopped after reading some things. Maybe I should stop reading. I do not notice any difference except I spend 0 for alum. I'm using terrific aftershave splashes and balms. (Wholly Kaw, CRSW)

Aluminum is a known irritant for me. I had to stop using deodorant with aluminum years ago because the aluminum was causing weird swellings in my armpits. When I switched to deodorant without aluminum it went away. It used to be hard to find aluminum free deodorant but now they are readily available. Whole foods was my only source. I use the Alum block only if I have weepers and nicks, but I always wash it off soon after. I use an unscented balm followed with an aftershave splash.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I use an alum block largely to gauge my shave. Then I rinse off and follow with CeraVe Moisturizer in lieu of an aftershave lotion or splash. This morning, for example, I got no rough feedback and no sting, indicating a BBS caliber shave (at least to me).

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I picked up the alum habit here (B&B) after shaving decades without it .. my present routine is warm rinse, alum, shower, then in the warmer months when my skin tends to oil up an aftershave splash, when it's winter substituting a balm for the splash. In March both are out ..

I believe the alum gives me an indication of how well I did with the shave, and since it is out on the counter anyway gets used for a nonslip on the fingertips prior to working the brush.

After shaving, I splash with cold water, then use alum block on damp face. Let the alum dry on face while I clean up brush, blade, etc. Rinse off alum well with cold water and then finally use Thayer's witch hazel with aloe. The witch hazel with aloe seems to restore the moisture pulled out by the alum. I avoid alcohol (aftershaves) on my face as those seem to be rough on my skin, especially in dry winter weather. The Thayer's claims to be alcohol-free, but some other brands of witch hazel do have alcohol.

“Marco” has a great post shave routine thread on B&B. Worth a search. I tried his method including Alum daily but found it irritated the skin rather than soothed. I just warm rinse, cold rinse, leave for a few minutes then balm or moisturiser.

Found the thread...

Top Bottom