What's new

Alternatives On How To Hang A Strop?

It seems like a lot of strops need to be attached to a hook in the wall or something. I would rather not have to drill a hole in the wall. I would rather be able to attach it to a doorknob, the problem is I don't know how I would do that.

Legion

Staff member
It seems like a lot of strops need to be attached to a hook in the wall or something. I would rather not have to drill a hole in the wall. I would rather be able to attach it to a doorknob, the problem is I don't know how I would do that.

I just tied some string a few loops around the door handle and latched the snap swivel of my strop onto it. Pretty basic but it works fine.

my doorknobs are levers, and a leather loop keeps it attached to the lever or a nearby banister newel.

Legion

Staff member
Have you used these for hanging a strop while in use?
I would be very weary of using this method, but that's just me.

+1. I would be surprised if this would be strong enough to hold it while you are pulling it taught, at least long term, but I could be wrong.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Go to Home Depot, Walmart, or most any hardware store. Look where all the chain, cable, shackles, hooks, etc are. Find a big "S" hook. It looks like a letter "S", hence the name. Buy it. Take it home with you. Hang it on the bathroom door hinge. Hang the swivel of your strop on the "S" hook. Strop your razor. Remove "S" hook from door hinge before closing door or you will be sorry.

You can refine this technique by buying another "S" hook and a swivel. Hang the swivel from the first "S" hook. Hang the second "S" hook from the lower end of the swivel. Hang the strop from the second "S" hook.

I find a doorknob to be a little low for my taste but many find it is just right for them.

If you use a paddle strop, you don't have to worry about a place to hang your strop.

You could also just stick the ring of your strop around your toe and rest your foot on the toilet. It worked for me when I couldn't hang my strop anywhere.

I've been using one of those stick on hooks for a few weeks with no issue. I am going to find a more permanent solution, something that screws into a stud or something. Just need to figure out what I want and then find it.

Seems like you could just tie it to pretty much any knob or handle with a thin cord or rope, etc...

thats what I used to do. but I very conveniently have now a banister at the top of my stairs that is perfect to hang my strops on :001_rolle

If your wall is covered with sheetrock with light paint, you might reconsider the use of a hook. It is so easy repairing sheetrock that screwing a hook thru sheetrock is not a problem. Patching plaster applies over a screw hole with your finger. No need for sanding or anything. Literally, a one minute repair. And, if your sheetrock is light color, the very small amount of plaster will probably visually blend.

Problem Solved!

An earlier post above by Slash McCoy suggested the use of an S hook. I just remembered that I have a few lying around. I dug them out and hung them on my doorknob. Great Success! I was able to pull the S hook with my finger while it was on the doorknob and it worked perfectly. One of the neat things about that is after I'm done stropping, I can take off the strop and S hook and lay the strop next to the rest of my straight razor equipment. Once the time is right to buy a hanging strop, I am confident that I will have success with it.

Legion

Staff member
Problem Solved!

An earlier post above by Slash McCoy suggested the use of an S hook. I just remembered that I have a few lying around. I dug them out and hung them on my doorknob. Great Success! I was able to pull the S hook with my finger while it was on the doorknob and it worked perfectly. One of the neat things about that is after I'm done stropping, I can take off the strop and S hook and lay the strop next to the rest of my straight razor equipment. Once the time is right to buy a hanging strop, I am confident that I will have success with it.

If you can, get a strop with a swivel. That way it does not matter which way the S has to hook on, the strops suspension point can rotate so the surface faces up.

Top Bottom