What's new

Alright Losers, what happened with my first SE shave?

Tried my stropping experiment today. Stropped the Pella about 10 times and shaved as normal. I would rate it between shaves 2 and 3 as far as irritation goes. No weepers, nicks or irritation. But not as comfortable as a shave 4. It could be the placebo effect, but I don't think so.

Wow. A genuine concern, but very different from my experience.

I bought into the group buy only after getting 100 of the same blade from another source, so understood what I was getting. I did find the first one or two (certainly not three) shaves were *slightly* more prone to give burn, in the more "aggressive" razors mostly, and primarily if I was using a higher shaving angle (yes, I've experimented). In most cases, at a low angle, nothing worth noting.

But I did find that stropping against my forearm before the first shave, about 5-10x per side, made the first shave the same as all the others. So wrote this off as a fairly minor wire edge issue. Never gave it much more thought, just automatically whisked each new blade on my arm and forgot about it.

This isn't unique to these blades. I usually do the same to Feathers, whether they need it or not.

I hear about "palm stropping", but that's a pretty short surface. Maybe a harder surface, but I like using the length of the inside of my forearm and moving it briskly. Just don't reverse!

*** Edit***
On reflection, I really only strop 3-5 times per side. Big difference!

Last edited:
Wow. A genuine concern, but very different from my experience.

I bought into the group buy only after getting 100 of the same blade from another source, so understood what I was getting. I did find the first one or two (certainly not three) shaves were *slightly* more prone to give burn, in the more "aggressive" razors mostly, and primarily if I was using a higher shaving angle (yes, I've experimented). In most cases, at a low angle, nothing worth noting.

But I did find that stropping against my forearm before the first shave, about 5-10x per side, made the first shave the same as all the others. So wrote this off as a fairly minor wire edge issue. Never gave it much more thought, just automatically whisked each new blade on my arm and forgot about it.

This isn't unique to these blades. I usually do the same to Feathers, whether they need it or not.

I hear about "palm stropping", but that's a pretty short surface. Maybe a harder surface, but I like using the length of the inside of my forearm and moving it briskly. Just don't reverse!

I will need to try that as I have been palm stropping.

What are the PTFE blades actually made for? So far I have not been able to find a conclusive answer apart from "industrial use" which could mean about anything except shaving.

I'm with the folks who suggest you might have not used the right angle on that ATG pass. It's hard to remember to do that when you first start SE shaving. Re: the blades, I love the GEM Personna blades available at Walgreen's. I never have any trouble with them, rarely nick myself and get lots more shaves out of them than many other blades. I think it's a good idea for us to use the local stores so they'll keep them in stock. Just My Opinion

I am much newer to the SE world than the DE. I started w/ a '12 and recently acquired a G-bar, an OCMM as well as a 60s or 70s Schick (it came with the KRONA blades). I'm still , experimenting with the Pellas and some CVS carbons as these are the only 2 I have. I'm wondering if technique may be as much a factor when evaluating blades, and from style to style. the OCMM is taking me more time to learn though I've only used it a few times. I am finding that blade angles must change from the '12 and the OC, for example. Totally different. The jury is still out on the different models and blades.And if I have to PIF the TPs or send them to the garage, big deal. Getting into the B&B forum guarantees that for most of us! I have sensitive skin (hey, I'm Touchy!) and I've had fine shaves and some rough ones with SEs, but I get very few cuts from any razor and only one weeper ever. And after watching the TGS shaving video have given up entirely on ATG passes, except on my neck and chin underside. A comfortable shave is way more important for me than a BBS. It's great that we have this thread to share experience and ideas. Long live the LOSERs!!!!

Haven't tried the W's but will do so. And +1 on buying at stores - especially if you get many shaves per blade!

What are the PTFE blades actually made for? So far I have not been able to find a conclusive answer apart from "industrial use" which could mean about anything except shaving.

I think they're mostly used for specimen preparation in forensics and histology, that and for drawing out lines of coke on a mirror. :lol:

Top Bottom