What's new

Alright Losers, what happened with my first SE shave?

I don't know what you mean by fuzzy logic, but, since you are having the same issue that I and a couple others are having, sthere has to be some merit to what I'm saying. To me, the Ted Pella's are a harsher shave than the Walgreen's Gem SS blades. As for what to do? All I can think of is not to use them. Just go with either the normal Gem SS or maybe try the carbons out. We are kind of limited by our blade selection. Or you can do a quick 2 pass to help age the blade before going for the all out BBS. I'm sorry I can't be any more of help but that's all I've got until we find a new blde somewhere.

I agree that the Ted Pella blades are not performing well until the 3rd shave. The fuzzy logic is that anyone should have to accept bad shaves from a blade until shave number three. Just because people repeat the same mantra that these blades don't get good until shave number three does not mean we should accept that as normal. A blade shoud perform well from shave number one in my book.

The Walgreens and CVS blades have performed well in every SE that I have loaded them into, I expect the same out of any blade I use.

I returned back to classic shaving so I would not have to put up with bad shaves. I do not think putting up with two bad days of shaving is acceptable. I'll PIF them or use them as paint scrappers before tolerating any more bad shaves.

Hear! Hear! Paint scrapers! ( I just so happen to have one on me) A sign from the shaving gods! :laugh:

Attachments

• $2012-05-21_20-02-19_790.jpg
    $2012-05-21_20-02-19_790.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 115
this would sort of defeat the PTFE coating I would think. Couple of laps on the strop and it would be straight stainless with no coating.

I suspect that the teflon (PTFE) coating Gem uses is more resilient than you think.

Here is a Gem Blue Star carbon blade I manually stropped on one of my straight razor strops, about 20 strokes and then used three days in a row in my OCMM:
$100_0755blade.jpg

As you can see, the sides of the blade are already well patinaed, but the edge is still bright. I think that is because there's still some of the original PTFE coating on the edge preventing oxidization.

I agree that the first shave off the Ted Pella's can be harsh but smooths out about shave 3.

That just makes no logical rationale for a bad shave, sorry. Yes, we paid a fortune for Gillette's carts, and could be forgiven for stretching those beyond comfort limits, but as inexpensive as perfectly good DE/SE blades are, no one should be putting up with "bad shaves" for the sake of total mileage.

I agree that the Ted Pella blades are not performing well until the 3rd shave. The fuzzy logic is that anyone should have to accept bad shaves from a blade until shave number three. Just because people repeat the same mantra that these blades don't get good until shave number three does not mean we should accept that as normal. A blade shoud perform well from shave number one in my book.

The Walgreens and CVS blades have performed well in every SE that I have loaded them into, I expect the same out of any blade I use.

I returned back to classic shaving so I would not have to put up with bad shaves. I do not think putting up with two bad days of shaving is acceptable. I'll PIF them or use them as paint scrappers before tolerating any more bad shaves.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I whole heartedly agree. But of course, that's why I don't use the Pella blades. As for the carbons, which do you prefer? The Gem Blues or a different brand? I don't know if I could find any others in my area.

I must say though that I have been moving more in the direction of the wedge blade razors. My Empire gives great shaves without the need for the break in period. And I can't wait for my second Rolls set to come so that I can try that one out.

What Cicatero said turtle.

I suspect that the teflon (PTFE) coating Gem uses is more resilient than you think.

Here is a Gem Blue Star carbon blade I manually stropped on one of my straight razor strops, about 20 strokes and then used three days in a row in my OCMM:

As you can see, the sides of the blade are already well patinaed, but the edge is still bright. I think that is because there's still some of the original PTFE coating on the edge preventing oxidization.
If the blade has been honed or stropped, the Teflon (PTFE) coating has been removed from the area honed/stropped(i.e., the edge). It will still cover the rest of the blade, however. PTFE is a surface coating a few microns thick, with no surface penetration, unless the surface itself is porus, which is why the current mil-spec is PTFE over parkerizing- which has a highly porus crystalline surface.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I whole heartedly agree. But of course, that's why I don't use the Pella blades. As for the carbons, which do you prefer? The Gem Blues or a different brand? I don't know if I could find any others in my area.

I must say though that I have been moving more in the direction of the wedge blade razors. My Empire gives great shaves without the need for the break in period. And I can't wait for my second Rolls set to come so that I can try that one out.

What Cicatero said turtle.

So far the only carbon I have used has been the CVS brand, and that is purely out of laziness. I need to try some others to see how they perform.

Speaking of blades, I better get to shaving, I am due in the office in the next 45 minutes, thank goodness I only live 3 miles from my shop.

I wanted to make note, although many of us are having the same issues with the Ted Pella blades, I would like to make it perfectly clear that this is not a ***** and moan session about the group buy. Brian did a lot of work to pull together this group buy and for that we all should be appreciative of his hard work.

All of us who purchased them without ever using them, myself included in that group, did so based on other user comments and experiences with the blades. Now many people, after the fact are repeating the same thing, over and over "the do not get good until around shave three". As previously stated, I for one do not find it acceptable to expect a two bad shaves before a blade performs well, a blade should work as expected from shave one.

As with any blade, YMMV, but there seems to be far more users that are having bad experiences with these, than positive. If anyone has any input on these blades that stop the weepers, raspberries and irritation, it would be much appreciated if you could share your tips.

I am sitting on about 225 or some of them at the moment, as I have been PIFing a lot for others to try out. I am almost afraid to list the remainder on B/S/T without a major disclaimer.

That just makes no logical rationale for a bad shave, sorry. Yes, we paid a fortune for Gillette's carts, and could be forgiven for stretching those beyond comfort limits, but as inexpensive as perfectly good DE/SE blades are, no one should be putting up with "bad shaves" for the sake of total mileage.

Logic has nothing to do with it. Some of us here find that the Pella blades don't hit their stride until the third shave. Why? I don't know.

When I first started classic shaving it was for the cost savings. But over time, I am now more into the hunt for the perfect shave. Being able to consistantly achieve BBS without cuts, weepers, or irritation is my goal. The Zen quality of this type of shave. This has become my excuse to have "My Time". To get away from the wife and kids for some quiet. The mileage would be nice but is not essential.

I for one have used nothing but the TP for going on 2 years. Maybe it's my leathery skin, or my advancing age that I can't remember yesterday...but I started Gemini with a fresh Pella in a Damaskeene and both shaves were absolutely fantastic. No hand stropping (don't strop anything but my straight razors) nothing. As always....YMMV

I for one have used nothing but the TP for going on 2 years. Maybe it's my leathery skin, or my advancing age that I can't remember yesterday...but I started Gemini with a fresh Pella in a Damaskeene and both shaves were absolutely fantastic. No hand stropping (don't strop anything but my straight razors) nothing. As always....YMMV

I have been shaving twice per day trying to get my skin more leathery, does not seem to be happening quick enough though :001_rolle

I have been shaving twice per day trying to get my skin more leathery, does not seem to be happening quick enough though :001_rolle

So a new acronym> BBLS? Just doesn't have the same ring to it. Although, Baby smooth calf skin shave? Hmm, kinda homie country ring to it.:laugh:

Anyhow, glad you brought this up about an individuals effort. The performance of these blades are seperate from Brians efforts which he has no control over. Glad he put it together as I see a lot of merit to the SE shave and wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been "free". Like I said, this is a great blade for DFS WTG and had zero issue this way.

I corked one of the coated blades last night and used it this morning in my G-Bar. I had shaved with it once, then corked it. It was an entirely different shave. No pulling, no weepers, DFS. I don't know if it was the corking or because I had used it once already.

I corked one of the coated blades last night and used it this morning in my G-Bar. I had shaved with it once, then corked it. It was an entirely different shave. No pulling, no weepers, DFS. I don't know if it was the corking or because I had used it once already.

I keep a cork in my shave den and in the past used is on Feather DE blades.

This morning I was in the mood, and loaded up my Gem Jr. with a new blade. It was a close shave, but I got a few weepers. The first thing I thought of when I was rubbing my alum block was, why didn't I cork that blade!!

I think it's worth the effort and short amount of time. A palm strop could give similar results.

Some blades are sharp and rough. Maybe it's a microscopic wire edge? Maybe it's just a lack of stropping by the manufacturer?

I've learned a lot about safety razor shaving by browsing the Straight Razor threads. The process and methods of keeping a straight shave ready is good perspective for shaving. At least having a little knowledge about how blades take an edge helps. Especially when using a SE that is much thicker than a DE.

Modern DE blades have completely different angles from older DE blades from what I've read. They are difficult to hone and don't take to a stropping very well.

I'm curious how the edge of modern SE blades compares to older SE blades sold solely for the purpose of shaving. They absolutely give me a great shave and last much longer than DE blades. They feel much more rigid than a DE and more consistent. I may be reaching for my DE less and less...

I've been palm-stropping the Pella blades prior to the first use, and haven't had any issues with weepers or irritation (but I think I still prefer the shave I get with my Red Tip Super Speed DE).

-Old P.

Top Bottom