What's new

Alpine skiing?

New to B&B, this place has a lot going for it. Are there any other alpine skiers here?

I moved to Michigan from Florida in '91, and started skiing in '00 or so when we realized that we were teaching our children to hate the winter like we did. So we took them to the local ski hill, and after my first lesson and my first day was hooked. I ended up joining the ski patrol, and although I still despise the cold I love to ski - it's the second-funnest thing I know to do.

I try to make it west every season, Utah on my own dime and Colorado because I have a regular work trip to Summit Co. in April. Been to Alta, PCMR (several times, the terrain off of Jupiter is great), A-Basin (finally managed to ski Willy's last season), and Breck (only once, spent the day on Peak 10). Out east I've been to Killington, but I prefer Gore in New York.

I'm skipping the Utah trip this year to save up for the Jackson Hole Steep and Deep camp next season.

Think snow!

My favorites... Aspen Highland, Ajax, Vail, Telluride, Copper Mtn, Taos, Jackson Hole, Alta, Snowbird. Snow is great right now in Colorado. It's February, the sun is rising again. Have fun.

It’s not Colorado. It’s definitely not Utah. It is Mt Hood, Oregon. Meadows is a great area, Timberline is historic, Skibowl has some charm, especially if you are up for a party in the parking lot. Or on the double chairs for that matter.

When I was young the Mt Hood backcountry was awesome, and quiet. I believe it is much busier now.

A couple Utah alternatives: Brighton and Snowbasin, both worth it.

Going on safari with a pal to northern WA, ID, then BC or MT in March. Might sneak in a solo road trip to NM as well as some quickies to the WA Cascades. But I would still be perfectly happy just skiing weekdays on Mt Hood.

So, what’s in your quiver? My new Rossi Soul7s are magic skiis, especially for the steep and deep.

Other top gear: Intuition liners and Marker Schizo bindings.

Oh yeah, big dump scheduled for tonight!

My daily drivers are the 2014 Head Rev 85 Pro, which turned out to be nearly perfect for me. Very playful, easy to shape turns, can hold an edge when driving the tips hard, poppy enough to be fun but still forgiving. They're getting a bit long in the tooth though, lots of miles and I think they're softening up so I'm looking to retire them.

Last year I got a set of Renoun Endurance 98's in 178, and they live up to the hype. The only thing they don't do well is carving on bulletproof, but that's not what I got them for... I still wish I had known about the changes planned for 2018/19, it sounds like they improved on that. But in any kind of soft conditions they're amazing; if you go slow they're compliant and bendy, but as you go faster and drive them harder they stiffen up and get damp and quiet. I love them, and am likely to get a set of the Renoun Z77's to replace my Heads.

My boots are Daleboot VFF Pros. For some reason a lot of folks laugh at Daleboots, but I think they're great.

I have been a skier for 60 years. Been a patroller, instructor, liftie, snow maker, groomer, you name it.
At one time Thunder Bay had 5 active ski areas. Now we're down to two. I could leave my office, drive home and change, drive to the ski area, get my gear on and ride the lift to the top of the mountain... -total elapsed time 45 minutes.
As a retiree now, I ski during the week when it isn't busy (and it's not too cold).

I loved to ski. Worked my way through college working in a Denver Ski and Tennis shop.
I stopped after an Achilles rupture. Skied from '63 to '90. Alpine and cross country.
What a hoot!

Make tracks!

Ed

Our big dump on Mt Hood turned into 3 dumps averaging about a foot each. A little too warm to be blower powder, but serious good times anyway! Justifies the Soul7s, dialing the Schizo bindings to the backseat, and attaching the powder cords.

I loved to ski. Worked my way through college working in a Denver Ski and Tennis shop.
I stopped after an Achilles rupture. Skied from '63 to '90. Alpine and cross country.
What a hoot!

Make tracks!

Ed

ACL rebuild + marriage and kids stopped me for about 20 years. Now I always wear a knee brace, but my alpine skiing is the best it has ever been. Maybe the revolution in ski shapes and materials helped?

I have been a skier for 60 years. Been a patroller, instructor, liftie, snow maker, groomer, you name it.
At one time Thunder Bay had 5 active ski areas. Now we're down to two. I could leave my office, drive home and change, drive to the ski area, get my gear on and ride the lift to the top of the mountain... -total elapsed time 45 minutes.
As a retiree now, I ski during the week when it isn't busy (and it's not too cold).

Retirement = cheaper passes and short/nonexistent lift lines. Except on these (Pacific NW) powder days. We don’t see much real cold in the Cascades. Low 20s is pretty cold for us.

I miss cross country and backcountry, but was never able to convince the family that skinny skis were much fun.

No excuse for buying these...
677A507F-EAFF-4CC7-8414-E062A3721C9F.jpeg

I've not done any alpine skiing, but I do enjoy cross country skiing, which is a great way to get about on the hills of Great Britain. Sometimes it's the only practical way, if there's loose or soft snow on top of heather of half frozen blanket bog. Unfortunately I've not got out in this way this winter, because there has only been enough snow during very brief periods.

When you mention cheaper passes, the area I ski at offers "retiree" season lift passes. $229 for Wed, Thurs, Friday all season. If you want to ski any other days, you buy a day pass.

Our big dump on Mt Hood turned into 3 dumps averaging about a foot each. A little too warm to be blower powder, but serious good times anyway! Justifies the Soul7s, dialing the Schizo bindings to the backseat, and attaching the powder cords.

ACL rebuild + marriage and kids stopped me for about 20 years. Now I always wear a knee brace, but my alpine skiing is the best it has ever been. Maybe the revolution in ski shapes and materials helped?

Retirement = cheaper passes and short/nonexistent lift lines. Except on these (Pacific NW) powder days. We don’t see much real cold in the Cascades. Low 20s is pretty cold for us.

I miss cross country and backcountry, but was never able to convince the family that skinny skis were much fun.
I miss I too!
Deep powder in the bowls and chutes.
Ahhh..... that’s freedom!
FREUDE!!
I also miss the cross country ski races and supporting my friends at their masters series races!
Make tracks!

I’m hitting the road to explore N Washington this week. Mt Baker and Stevens Pass. Should be some freshies! This and a rocket box full of skis.

7C16A341-ECA5-45F5-891B-303974D75F9F.jpeg

I just pulled the trigger on a three day trip to Gore over MLK weekend. Meeting my nephew and a couple of friends from NJ, it's gonna be great. There are a lot of places there that I've never seen, and I've gotten a lot better on steeps than the last time so I might take a shot at Rumours.

Got my Mount Hood Meadows value pass (no peak days). Skied on it today. Snow cover still light, but very evenly distributed. Freshies and sunshine! Fat skis would have been better, but my all mountain rock skis did the job.

I am planning to safari again, so I also have a Fusion Pass (Timberline and Skibowl on Mt Hood, plus the other Powder Alliance resorts.) And I bought the Indy Pass, which overlaps the Powder Alliance a little, but adds some western resorts I want to visit.

Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Canada. Don’t know if I’ll make it to Montana this season. I hit some of the last days of the season at Schweitzer and Whitefish last April, got a storm with enough fresh in it to make the drive worthwhile.

Season day 2 - about 30k vertical feet of groomers today. NOAA forecasts a big dump on Mt Hood in the range of 50 to 70 inches for the mid-mountain level, with the storm raging from Wednesday night through Thursday night. It’s on!

Season day 2 - about 30k vertical feet of groomers today.
Sounds great, but oy, yer KILLIN me! I've only been out once this season. Tonight's my first patrol shift, and I'll be lucky to make 10k. Three minutes up and thirty seconds down kinda cuts into the stats.

I think I'll risk pissing the missus off, and head out a few hours early.

I'd love to visit Mt. Hood.

The big dump on Mt Hood finally arrived. Started last Monday, but 34” of cold snow in the last 48 hours. And more falling as the winds start dropping. I got to take off my rock skis and click into my Soul 7s for three days of storm skiing. Day 4 of skiing this storm tomorrow. :biggrin1:

I've been getting skunked. Inconsistent weather's resulted in really poor conditions, plus I've been dealing with the flu for three weeks. Had to cancel this week's trip to Gore... this blows. I seem to be stuck with consoling myself by dreaming of the Renoun Z90's I might get next season.

Top Bottom