What's new

Aggressiveness Rankings page has been updated in Wiki

We now have sort of a "Version 2.0" of the Aggressiveness Rankings Chart in our Wiki.

The Wiki's software was upgraded earlier this year (if memory serves) and the upgrade is no longer compatible with the extended length of my old "Buyers Guide" version of the page. To shorten the page, I've removed my old FAQ's and streamlined the page as a whole. It now pretty much gets right into the chart itself ... probably making it a better reference page anyway. I may at some point re-create the old content as new pages in the wiki....

Also, I've added a new research feature to the chart. Now, below each razor listing there is a list of links to every survey used to rank that razor on the 1 to 10 aggressiveness scale.

For example, the Edwin Jagger 89 listing now handily includes links to the 6 surveys which were used to calculate its ranking:

• vs. RazoRock solid bars
  • vs. Weber
  • vs. ATT M1
  • vs. Merkur solid bars
  • vs. Parker open combs
  • vs. Parker TTO
  • vs. Merkur open combs
  • vs. Feather Popular

Benefits of reading the surveys include that these surveys clearly shows the YMMV disagreements between users on which was more aggressive (rankings are based on the average shaver). Plus, sometimes respondents explained and discussed their own comparisons ... providing a nice added depth behind the numbers.

More surveys are coming:
In the next few months I'm going to be posting some more surveys, adding some new razors to the list, adding some more vintage razors, and retrying to get data on surveys that had too few responses to be meaningful.

• vintage Gillette NEWs (1929 to late 1940s)
  • vintage Gillette Super Speeds (1947 to 1988)
  • Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company BBS-1
  • Merkur Bakelite solid bar
  • Pills
  • Lord L6 / L5
  • Wolfman razors

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement on the wiki page or the upcoming surveys.

Thanks!
Shawn

Last edited:
This is a great service, Shawn. Thank you! Personally, I would put the H2 above the R41 (2013), but great minds may differ. I've got an Ikon Shavecraft Tech on the way. It's said to be a real monster. I'll let you know my thoughts.

Top Bottom