What's new

Aftershave?

My opinion, alcohol is absolutely necessary after shaving to disinfect and close up the skin. The drying effect of alcohol lasts only seconds, until you apply moisturizer, any one will do. Humectants like glycerin or aloe instantly gorge your skin with moisture.

Proraso green products are excellent.

This is the moisturizer I have

Cerave AM facial Moisturizer with SPF 30 it’s also a sunscreen with Hyaluronic Acid

Pure aloe vera gel is a great aftershave with no fragrance or alcohol.

Alcohol free witch hazel is also great, and there are many unscented aftershave balms out there. Check your local supermarket for the ingredients on products like Every Man Jack or Burts Bees.

Or if your CeraVe facial moisturizer is working out then just keep using that as an aftershave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Maybe you have the worng Nivea product, because the Sensitive line does not list alcohol in its ingredients, the one in the picture contains the following:
Water, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tapioca Starch, Fucus Vesiculosus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Bisabolol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triceteareth-4 Phosphate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Menthoxypropanediol, Piroctone Olamine, Fragrance

If you don't want to use an after shave balm you can, of course, use a moisturizer (there is a thread in this forum about Neutrogena Hydro Boost Cream used in such a way after all) but you want to try and look to those with more lenitive ingredients, since they are not studied nor tested to be used with this purpose.

Fragrance is the last ingredient, it means it doesn’t have a lot?

Isopropyl Palmitate is an ester of isopropyl alcohol and palmitic acid. Some folks with sensitive skin have reported drying and irritation issues with it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Isopropyl Palmitate is an ester of isopropyl alcohol and palmitic acid. Some folks with sensitive skin have reported drying and irritation issues with it.
I wondered if anyone would note that.

The skin is the body's largest organ, and lot's of the time the one we take most for granted.

Allergies and sensitivities are such a burden. My poor Dad had real issues with soaps and detergents. It's getting easier to diagnose and treat these things in today's world, but I remember him using Crisco, pine tar soaps and shampoo....

I wish you well @Rodimus80 ! And welcome to Badger and Blade. Feel free to jump into this place, you are among friends!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would describe isopropyl palmitate as a neutral, natural and harmless fat.
Just repeating what I've read other people reporting.
I'm an alcohol splash kind of guy. I have to have it after a shave or it doesn't feel like I'm "done"!
I don't have sensitive skin at all. I use Oven Cleaner in a T shirt with no gloves. My wife is so sensitive to stuff, I can appreciate the concern.

For dry skin, "Nivea's Protect & Care 2 in 1"

I too need to use an Alcohol (and witch hazel) splash post shave.
Using strictly a balm or toner afterwards leaves something to be desired.

Last edited:
Top Bottom