What's new

Aftershave that smells like Aqua Velva?

Is there a non-alcohol aftershave that smells like Aqua Velva? I really like this old standard, but I have developed an allergy to all drugstore aftershave brands, for some reason. I can wear B&M balms very well, however.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I guess there's nothing out there.
Nothing I am specifically aware of.
Is it the alcohol that causes the reaction or something else in the ingredient list?
I ask because in an alcohol based aftershave, it is pretty easy to boil off the alcohol in short bursts in a microwave which concentrates the scent.
That can then be added to a non-alcohol balm of your choice.
However, if it is a non-volatile ingredient which is causing you problems, this method won't help you a bit.

Good idea, thanks. I'll try it.

It is each and every common aftershave found in Walmart or drugstores that causes me problems. I can wear Barrister and Mann balms without a problem.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

It is each and every common aftershave found in Walmart or drugstores that causes me problems. I can wear Barrister and Mann balms without a problem.
Well, if you try it and it doesn't work out you may want to start comparing ingredient lists to isolate what it is that is affecting you. Something the problematic ones have in common but that are missing from the ones you can tolerate.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You might want to check out Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements website and see if they've come out with an Aqua Velva knockoff. He does come out with stuff like that on occasion. Fairly certain they came out with one for Skin Bracer called Shave Chaser. They also have one for Pinaud Clubman called Club Guy.

Is there a non-alcohol aftershave that smells like Aqua Velva? I really like this old standard, but I have developed an allergy to all drugstore aftershave brands, for some reason. I can wear B&M balms very well, however.

can your allergist identify the source of your allergy?
in particular, why drugstore and not other retailers??
just curious.
thanks!!

I believe there was a thread here somewhere that mentioned that the type of alcohol used could be a factor too.

My skin is fine with any Proraso, any Clubman, Skinbracer, and Old Spice. But it doesn’t care for Aqua Velva, Brut, Adidas or Stetson.

B&M Cool is similar to AV but not an exact match. I like it a little better. Maybe try that in a balm.

I actually use B&M Reserve Cool all of the time. It isn't AV, not even close, at least to my nose, but it is very nice. This is my favorite of the B&M aftershaves that I've tried.
My thoughts also, not close to Aqua Velva. CVS used to sell a lotion called "Blade Arctic Blue" which I found close to AV. Reserve Cool is close to Floid Blue, IMO.

Spanish? I've not heard of any such thing. Is it different somehow?
Yes. For one, it comes in a glass bottle. Just a guess, but there might be something in the plastic bottles that is irritating your skin.

The scent of the Spanish version is also nicer IMHO. I think it's smoother and more interesting, but still similar.

Top Bottom