What's new

Aftershave before cologne?

Before you spray the cologne, does it matter which aftershave you use and how long you wait to spray? I'd hate to ruin a good Creed Green Irish Tweed or Blenheim by having Aqua Velva come screaming through. (or will the AV be gone in 10 min anyway??)

Thoughts?

Before you spray the cologne, does it matter which aftershave you use and how long you wait to spray? I'd hate to ruin a good Creed Green Irish Tweed or Blenheim by having Aqua Velva come screaming through. (or will the AV be gone in 10 min anyway??)

Thoughts?

For post-shave facial "maintenance", I massage-in a balm or milk. Then I take the items with which I shaved, pose-and-photograph them, and post my SOTD entry. By the time I'm done with the photography it's some 20-minutes later and, before continuing further, I shpritz some EDC/EDT/EDP on my face and neck.

I wouldn't mix the two. Aftershaves seem to last at least for the morning, so I use cologne later in the day to freshen up after work or if I'm going out.
If the two were the same fragrance I suppose you'd be alright, but you'd smell mighty strong, most people don't like that no matter how tastefully chosen are your colognes.
Also the aftershave smell is around your nose- how are you then going to smell a cologne you've put on your chest?

I understand the logic, Steerpike, but....

Does this mean on days I want to wear cologne for the smell of sheer power confidence and masculinity (Blenheim) that I skip aftershave altogether? Eek!

My pore skin! :)

Such the dilemma.

S

sullivanpm

If I am going to wear something like Blenheim or Kinze Ten. I will only use unscented witch hazel as an AS.

I have Irish Poteen (90% abv) with 5% glycerin for use as a neutral aftershave if I want to use cologne. No dilemma any more!
That said I usually put colognes on in the evening anyway, my aftershave has long since worn off.

It depends, If I use AV I generally splash it on, let it sit then do my cold water soak which pretty much removes all the smell of the AV, followed by lightly scented balm that dosn't interfere with any colognes that I wear. I'll also do a matched AS/EDT sparingly.

I only use two aftershaves, both of which evaporate quickly and leave no residual scent after 5-10 minutes:

Lucky Tiger Aftershave (non-alcoholic) from Nordstrom or

Trumper's West Indies Limes Aftershave (alcoholic. hiccup.).

Since they both evaporate and leave no scent behind, it doesn't play into which cologne/EDT will be worn.

Top Bottom