What's new

Aftercare for oily skin, dry climate?

Any dermatologists out there? What aftercare would you recommend for oily skin, particularly in the T zone, prone to acne, while living in a dry, desert environment? If alcohol based splash, are there some that cause relatively less sting?

My current set up is a non-alcohol, witch hazel and glycerin based fragrant concoction made by Supply Co. Alone, it can leave the skin feeling dry. I sometimes follow that up with balms, either PdP 63 or AoS Sandalwood, but am concerned it’s adding to my skin’s oiliness, clogging pores, etc.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Two products I've found helpful are from the Italian company Prep.

Prep Derma Cream (jar or tube)

1632759928661.png
1632760048513.png

You can use this to clean your face and prepare it for shaving. Like a much more refined Noxzema. Does not dry out the skin.

Prep Aftershave Balm

1632760154696.png

This is an unscented balm that does not clog pores. A tiny bit, mixed with water or witch hazel, is all you need. The scent is reminiscent of a sunscreen, and though not particularly pleasant, fades quickly. What I would suggest is apply this to a damp face, let it sink in for a few minutes, then apply your regular aftershave lotion over it. It moisturizes well without greasiness.

Speick Aftershave

If you haven't tried this aftershave, it is excellent. It has some alcohol, but not enough to be drying to the skin. Spicy citrus/lavender scent that fades in about 30 minutes.

1632762793827.png

Shop around, these are fairly inexpensive products, but some places overcharge.

Last edited:
The Speick aftershave lotion seems well regarded. I’ll definitely give that a try. Thank you!

Clinique oil control face wash followed by a non tallow soap or shave cream as for aftershaves I suggest to try a nice splash such as Speick or baxter of california which has a non greasy gel formulation with a hint of eucalyptus

Are tallow-based soaps more likely to clog pores? I’d not heard that before.

Edit: did some digging, thread from 2012: Is tallow soap too oily for some? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/is-tallow-soap-too-oily-for-some.313270/
Personally I experience a less oily post shave feel with non tallow based soaps I reckon some soapmakers end up with more super fats which generally indicates high tallow, I like cushion and slickness during the shave but some tallow soaps/creams leaves me with an unnecessary oily post shave

Top Bottom