What's new

A/S lotion + balm for dry skin?

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to wet shaving and during the journey I came to understand I have quite a dry skin.
I started using products for dry skin (pre-shave, shaving cream) as well as general dry skin products.

My question is about the A/S routine - I'm looking for a combination of a lotion followed by a moisturizing balm.
Since my technique is still lacking, I don't think an aftershave balm alone is enough (if I use alum block or alcohol I feel strong stinging).

Would love recommendations for non-drying product to use before the A/S balm.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I also have dry skin and do very well with Thayer's WH Toner w/aloe, followed by a moisturizer (which is Clinique for me, but just about any moisturizer will do).

If your skin is dry, I would hold off on using an alcohol based splash (especially if you are already using witch hazel or alum). It will just make it worse. Give your skin time to get used to shaving first. For me, when I first started shaving I definitely was more sensitive to splashes and shaving then I am now. Skin and hair just need some time to get used to it. Instead of a balm, I would use a purpose made face cream. They are far more effective, typically unscented and therefore extremely unlikely to irritate the skin. Alum burning is also not necessarily a sign of dryness but of overshaving etc. When I apply alum now, I don't really feel anything other than a gentle bracing effect. The soap/cream you use could be the biggest contributer to this issue. Some ingredients/scents just don't work with my skin now matter how well the product is formulated.

If your skin is dry, I would hold off on using an alcohol based splash (especially if you are already using witch hazel or alum). It will just make it worse. Give your skin time to get used to shaving first. For me, when I first started shaving I definitely was more sensitive to splashes and shaving then I am now. Skin and hair just need some time to get used to it. Instead of a balm, I would use a purpose made face cream. They are far more effective, typically unscented and therefore extremely unlikely to irritate the skin. Alum burning is also not necessarily a sign of dryness but of overshaving etc. When I apply alum now, I don't really feel anything other than a gentle bracing effect. The soap/cream you use could be the biggest contributer to this issue. Some ingredients/scents just don't work with my skin now matter how well the product is formulated.
Thanks a lot Sydney.
The situation has gotten much better since switching to sensitive skin cream (the Proraso white).

My issue is that I still need an effective antiseptic that won't dry my skin. I think I'm less prone to irritation due to scents or anything like that. I'm not using alum or alcohol due my dried skin.

After I am finished, I rinse with cold water followed by hyaluronic acid serum (Trader Joe’s brand works well - 2 pumps). I then clean up all my shaving equipment, then apply a balm or face lotion. You might want to give Neutrogena Hydroboost gel cream extra dry a chance.

Top Bottom