What's new

After DE89, I've got Gentile, Piccolo, and 6C - Which should I try next?

This is more a fun exercise than anything, but please share your thoughts!

After nearly two years happily using only my DE89 and box of Astra SPs, something changed and R.A.D has hit! I'm now proudly in possession of the following fine objects:

1] Fatip Testina Gentile (chrome)
2] Fatip Piccolo (nickle)
3] Rockwell 6C (chrome)

My initial goal is to get a couple quick shaves done with each, to assure there's no defects while still within the razors' return window. Then I've got a quick sidetrack to a DE89 shimming project, where afterwards I'll return to evaluating my new purchases in a more serious fashion.

Tomorrow will be my first shave with one of the new razors. I figure I'll use the order above to try them out, and here's why:

1] The Gentile will quickly get me a bit more aggression & efficiency (hopefully), while still keeping me in my known realm of being a safety bar razor.
2] The Piccolo will quickly get me into the unknown realm of open comb and more aggression, providing a nice contrast within the same manufacturing line.
3] The Rockwell is a safety bar razor, and will likely have some configuration that has an aggression level that is most like my EJ. But with 3 plates and 6 aggression levels, I can see me playing around substantially longer to get a feel for this razor. So I think it should be last.

What would be your order?

Do you have any comments on my selection of razors here?

Thanks!

I think you should close out October with the Piccolo. Then the Gentile and play with the Rockwell options.

The transition from the DE89 to the Piccolo would be a radical one. I suggest making the move in a more graduated order: try the Testina Gentile, and then the Rockwell with plate #3, and/or #4. That will give you a feel for razors that are comfortable but more efficient than your DE89. Then go to the Piccolo for an experience with a razor on the upper end of the aggression scale, and one that will make you appreciate the need for no pressure.

I think you should close out October with the Piccolo. Then the Gentile and play with the Rockwell options.
Ahhh, I do like the sentiments here, but I already tarried a bit too much into the return period; I've got to get these babies tested out!

I put an iKon bulldog handle on my 89. Changed everything. Maggard has em, $25.

Option #4. :)
Thanks. Yessiree, I'm with you there! This dE89 holds a sentimental value for me now, so it's becoming my cherished project. I'm going to be shimming away, and Mr. Maggard has kindly sent me several great handles for her. I can't help but give her a special spot, because she did take away my DE virginity after all!

The transition from the DE89 to the Piccolo would be a radical one. I suggest making the move in a more graduated order: try the Testina Gentile, and then the Rockwell with plate #3, and/or #4. That will give you a feel for razors that are comfortable but more efficient than your DE89. Then go to the Piccolo for an experience with a razor on the upper end of the aggression scale, and one that will make you appreciate the need for no pressure.
Thanks. Good suggestion. I did indeed start with the Gentile, and my report follows below.

I know little to nothing about the 3 razors you mention. But I would suggest a Gillette Black Beauty adjustable and a Mekur Slant to broaden your horizons

Gentile Report:

Alright gentlemen, thank you all for replying.

I did indeed start with the Gentile, and here's my report.

Beard growth = Two days. My beard is pretty coarse and dense.

Razor = Fatip Testina Gentile
Blade = Astra SP
Prep = Long hot shower
Cream = TOBS Avocado
Shave = Standard 3 pass
Post = Warm water rinse, followed by a copious cold water rinse

All my impressions below are in relation to my DE89, unless stated otherwise.

My initial impression was one of smoothness, smoother than the DE89. This was accompanied by a bit less aural feedback of the hairs cutting. These two aspects (smooth, less aural feedback), made it a bit more difficult for me to find the ideal shaving angle, which appeared to be quite wide in latitude. Along with the smoothness, there was no tendency for the razor to drag on bare skin after the cream is wiped away. This last aspect was very appealing, as the DE89 can drag a bit in this regard. Note here I'm speaking of "razor drag", that is the drag of the safety bar on one's skin, but not of "blade inefficiency" or the "lack of sharpness".

I also noticed I could shave longer before the razor clogs, forcing me to rinse it off. Actually, it never seemed to clog at all! I need to rinse often with my DE89. But near the end of my Gentile shave, I extended the rinse period substantially, and only rinsed the Gentile due to my being incredulous that the razor was still cutting but must surely need a rinse! I'm very pleased with this last aspect, and can't wait to try the Gentile for longer non-rinse periods and on a longer growth beard. One area where the DE89 is marginal, is on longer (4-5 days) growths.

Due to the exceptional smoothness, and less aural feedback, it was hard to tell exactly the quality of shave I was getting, or if I had the right angle. Well, it turns out I got a pretty good shave after all. Pretty much as good as the DE89 on a good day, and I was very surprised to find one of the areas that is very problematic for my DE89 - under my chin - seems to be perhaps better than the DE89 ever did!

Now while the Gentile was exceptionally smooth, I was surprised to find I had a bit of warmth to my skin starting a little after my shave. It's not a burn or scraping, but rather that warmth you feel when you shaved as close as possible, approaching the point of no return. I'm not calling this a problem at this point, but am considering this as exemplifying a more aggressive closer shave than I usually get. I did do 3 full passes, and a small bit of touch-up, and I was as aggressive in my shave as with my DE89 - which is to say, quite a bit.

As to razor angle, when I finished my 3 pass shave I wanted to go for perfection in a small area where, ordinarily I would've accepted it as "good enough". It was here that I found the razor worked better with a wider angle (handle further away from my face) than my DE89. Using a wide angle, I clearly was able to hear the removal of the very low near non-existent hairs left in that small area. In respect, it looks like this steep angle shaver might be using a wider angle with this razor.

So I feel this was a good initial outing for the Gentile. I got a very good shave, and it was not only smoother than the DE89, but seemed a bit more efficient too. A win-win. I'm excited for the prospects of improved shaves once I refine the proper technique and angle this razor likes, including how it will react to what I believe is a superior blade like a GSB or Feather!

So Piccolo, or Rockwell, next? Still haven't made up my mind! And since I usually shave every other day, I've got a day to make it up!

Last edited:
That's a great report Capisco, thank you. :thumbup1:
Due to the exceptional smoothness, and less aural feedback, it was hard to tell exactly the quality of shave I was getting, or if I had the right angle.
I suspect that the "less aural feedback" is due to the blade being more rigid (i.e. clamped much closer to its edge) than in the DE89 where it can wobble and chatter.
Using a wide angle, I clearly was able to hear the removal of the very low near non-existent hairs left in that small area. In respect, it looks like this steep angle shaver might be using a wider angle with this razor.
I think you have your "angle" terms mixed up. Check out the Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED thread. :wink2:

So Piccolo, or Rockwell, next? Still haven't made up my mind! And since I usually shave every other day, I've got a day to make it up!
IMO you should spend at least a week with the Gentile (or any other razor) before moving on. That way you'll get to dial it in better, and be able to make better comparisons with your other razors (rather than jumping from one to another). Just sayin'.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Gentile Report:

Alright gentlemen, thank you all for replying.

I did indeed start with the Gentile, and here's my report.

Beard growth = Two days. My beard is pretty coarse and dense.

Razor = Fatip Testina Gentile
Blade = Astra SP
Prep = Long hot shower
Cream = TOBS Avocado
Shave = Standard 3 pass
Post = Warm water rinse, followed by a copious cold water rinse

All my impressions below are in relation to my DE89, unless stated otherwise.

My initial impression was one of smoothness, smoother than the DE89. This was accompanied by a bit less aural feedback of the hairs cutting. These two aspects (smooth, less aural feedback), made it a bit more difficult for me to find the ideal shaving angle, which appeared to be quite wide in latitude. Along with the smoothness, there was no tendency for the razor to drag on bare skin after the cream is wiped away. This last aspect was very appealing, as the DE89 can drag a bit in this regard. Note here I'm speaking of "razor drag", that is the drag of the safety bar on one's skin, but not of "blade inefficiency" or the "lack of sharpness".

I also noticed I could shave longer before the razor clogs, forcing me to rinse it off. Actually, it never seemed to clog at all! I need to rinse often with my DE89. But near the end of my Gentile shave, I extended the rinse period substantially, and only rinsed the Gentile due to my being incredulous that the razor was still cutting but must surely need a rinse! I'm very pleased with this last aspect, and can't wait to try the Gentile for longer non-rinse periods and on a longer growth beard. One area where the DE89 is marginal, is on longer (4-5 days) growths.

Due to the exceptional smoothness, and less aural feedback, it was hard to tell exactly the quality of shave I was getting, or if I had the right angle. Well, it turns out I got a pretty good shave after all. Pretty much as good as the DE89 on a good day, and I was very surprised to find one of the areas that is very problematic for my DE89 - under my chin - seems to be perhaps better than the DE89 ever did!

Now while the Gentile was exceptionally smooth, I was surprised to find I had a bit of warmth to my skin starting a little after my shave. It's not a burn or scraping, but rather that warmth you feel when you shaved as close as possible, approaching the point of no return. I'm not calling this a problem at this point, but am considering this as exemplifying a more aggressive closer shave than I usually get. I did do 3 full passes, and a small bit of touch-up, and I was as aggressive in my shave as with my DE89 - which is to say, quite a bit.

As to razor angle, when I finished my 3 pass shave I wanted to go for perfection in a small area where, ordinarily I would've accepted it as "good enough". It was here that I found the razor worked better with a wider angle (handle further away from my face) than my DE89. Using a wide angle, I clearly was able to hear the removal of the very low near non-existent hairs left in that small area. In respect, it looks like this steep angle shaver might be using a wider angle with this razor.

So I feel this was a good initial outing for the Gentile. I got a very good shave, and it was not only smoother than the DE89, but seemed a bit more efficient too. A win-win. I'm excited for the prospects of improved shaves once I refine the proper technique and angle this razor likes, including how it will react to what I believe is a superior blade like a GSB or Feather!

Awesome shave report :thumbup:. I love when things come together in a good way! Thank you for sharing!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
IMO you should spend at least a week with the Gentile (or any other razor) before moving on. That way you'll get to dial it in better, and be able to make better comparisons with your other razors (rather than jumping from one to another). Just sayin'.
+1 I know you have two brand new razors you're are itching to try, but I really think that you don't really dial in any razor unless you've gone with it for at least a week. At least that is what I've found for myself. :001_smile

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's not a burn or scraping, but rather that warmth you feel when you shaved as close as possible, approaching the point of no return.

That very well may be the blade. Astra SP was the blade I last used in my Grande almost 48 hours ago now. Astra SS is todays blade. Anyway, the Astra SP to me had a lot of the "bare blade" feel to it the Kai and Nacet also have. I personally find it very sharp as well, and combined with that pronounced blade feel, I also had the same warmth you mention. A fix for that is a smoother blade. Try a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow or Black and you'll be surprised.

That "bare blade" feel is however and excellent learning tool. Using a blade with that much feel to it, will quickly teach you the pressure needed over different areas in your shave, and also allow you to feel the smallest change in angle and pressure very easily.

You'll still get that feedback from a Polsilver, but less of it. I didnt get any of that feedback from my use of a Gillette Yellow though. If you make a change in pressure or angle with a Yellow, you may not know it until its too late.

I think you need to use the Rockwell so that you can decide to return it before its too late. Then buy a Grande and a few hundred blades with the money you just saved. Or an even better idea, use the Gentile and the Piccolo and when you've learned them and come to find they are the best razors you've ever used, buy a Joris/Plisson. :)

Once you get the hang of the Fatips, I'll be surprised if you like a razor with a less rigid design that also has gap.

Someone needs to make a rigid razor that has adjustable exposure. Now that I might buy.

I suspect that the "less aural feedback" is due to the blade being more rigid

What he said ^^^.

With a blade matched to your skin and your stubble like the Gillette Yellow is to mine in the Grande, you'll feel and hear nothing and its a very strange sensation lol. Polsilver/Blue Diamond Titanium is the same match for me in my NEW SC, if I keep the angle just right because that razor has gap, and Perma-Sharp Super is the same match in my Gillette Regent.

That's a great report Capisco, thank you. :thumbup1:

I suspect that the "less aural feedback" is due to the blade being more rigid (i.e. clamped much closer to its edge) than in the DE89 where it can wobble and chatter.

I think you have your "angle" terms mixed up. Check out the Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED thread. :wink2:
Thanks.

I believe "steep" refers to the handle closer to one's face, no? Unless I'm in error.

But I have no idea where I came up with the term "wide"! :D

And yes, that excellent work by ShavingByTheNumbers would seem to be very much deserved as a sticky reference somewhere!

Last edited:
+1 I know you have two brand new razors you're are itching to try, but I really think that you don't really dial in any razor unless you've gone with it for at least a week. At least that is what I've found for myself. :001_smile
I agree with you guys completely!

But I spent a couple weeks finishing up my blade trials in my DE89, after accepting delivery of my new razors. So the end of the return period is right around the corner. I'm trying to get at least 1 or 2 quick shaves in with each, to make sure there's no defects. Then I can take my time getting properly acquainted.

As it is, I found what might be a very slight blade alignment issue with the Gentile. But at this point, I'm not sure if it's enough to consider it a problem.

My shaving every other day isn't speeding-up the process, either!

That very well may be the blade. Astra SP was the blade I last used in my Grande almost 48 hours ago now. Astra SS is todays blade. Anyway, the Astra SP to me had a lot of the "bare blade" feel to it the Kai and Nacet also have. I personally find it very sharp as well, and combined with that pronounced blade feel, I also had the same warmth you mention. A fix for that is a smoother blade. Try a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow or Black and you'll be surprised.

That "bare blade" feel is however and excellent learning tool. Using a blade with that much feel to it, will quickly teach you the pressure needed over different areas in your shave, and also allow you to feel the smallest change in angle and pressure very easily.

You'll still get that feedback from a Polsilver, but less of it. I didnt get any of that feedback from my use of a Gillette Yellow though. If you make a change in pressure or angle with a Yellow, you may not know it until its too late.

I think you need to use the Rockwell so that you can decide to return it before its too late. Then buy a Grande and a few hundred blades with the money you just saved. Or an even better idea, use the Gentile and the Piccolo and when you've learned them and come to find they are the best razors you've ever used, buy a Joris/Plisson. :)

Once you get the hang of the Fatips, I'll be surprised if you like a razor with a less rigid design that also has gap.

Someone needs to make a rigid razor that has adjustable exposure. Now that I might buy.

What he said ^^^.

With a blade matched to your skin and your stubble like the Gillette Yellow is to mine in the Grande, you'll feel and hear nothing and its a very strange sensation lol. Polsilver/Blue Diamond Titanium is the same match for me in my NEW SC, if I keep the angle just right because that razor has gap, and Perma-Sharp Super is the same match in my Gillette Regent.
Thanks again for another helpful and high content reply.

Yeah I too was wondering if my using an Astra SP again for the first time in months, might produce that "face warmth".

But it felt different than that "clean bare metal" feel of a KAI. It felt more like the after effects of an exceptionally close shave with multiple passes, where the skin gets pushed to the max, but stopped just short of razor burn. But I'll probably stick with the Astra SP for the initial outing of my other two new razors. It seems like a good "all arounder". My alternative would be GSB, but I'm more familar with Astra SP.

Hah! But I already have a Grande!

"My Gentile Handle + Piccolo Head"

There was method to my madness! :thumbup:

I'm trying to get closer to bulk ordering my blades, but the only "for sure" seems to be Feather (100ct), with a GSB 100ct extremely likely. And crazy enough, I've switched back to leaning towards bulk ordering the damn KAIs again!

And yes, after only one shave I now have a high interest in Fatip. If the smoothness I felt is due to blade rigidity, count me as a believer.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There was method to my madness!

Hahaha, as long as you have one a "Genolo" will do LOL.

I think we agree on Astra SP as having a certain feel to it. The Astra SS does too, or did for half a shave for me today anyway.

If the smoothness I felt is due to blade rigidity, count me as a believer.

I believe it is exactly that, combined with no gap.

Before you bulk order blades, give them a good workout in your new razors. Few blades I've used have worked well in my Gillettes and my Grande.

The best all around blades being Derby Extra and Polsilver, and maybe Gillette Yellow, but I find it too sharp for my NEW SC.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
As it is, I found what might be a very slight blade alignment issue with the Gentile. But at this point, I'm not sure if it's enough to consider it a problem.

Just from my own process, I think you can over think Fatips. I started obsessing for a minute with my first one. First was the blade straight, and then was there equal amount of blade exposure on each side. I'd take it to different rooms with different lighting and turn the razor around and around, switch angles, and stare at it. Finally, I got good at it, and just new when close is as close gets, the blade is in, go for it. :001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom