What's new

Aeropress recipes

I love the scientific nature of many of these. It's more than I'm willing to go, but I'm amazed at what length people go to for a perfect cup.

I love the scientific nature of many of these. It's more than I'm willing to go, but I'm amazed at what length people go to for a perfect cup.

I know I'm pushing nerco-posting status, but I'll bite.

I agree with this entirely. I just got an aeropress this past week on a recommendation from my brother-in-law. I finally got the hang of it, and I love the coffee it produces. I get the science behind it, but my palate is too ignorant to reap the benefits.

I can't tell a difference if my water is 197deg F or 179degF. And it makes me sad. I'm a saaaaad panda.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I love my aeropress too, however I have recently found love in the arms of a Moka pot found at Ross for 12.99.

I know I'm pushing nerco-posting status, but I'll bite.

I agree with this entirely. I just got an aeropress this past week on a recommendation from my brother-in-law. I finally got the hang of it, and I love the coffee it produces. I get the science behind it, but my palate is too ignorant to reap the benefits.

I can't tell a difference if my water is 197deg F or 179degF. And it makes me sad. I'm a saaaaad panda.
I might challenge you (in a friendly way of course) to do a side by side test and see if there is not some difference, even if you don't end up liking one method better than the other. To first do the test with your regular coffee drinking it black, and then repeat the test with some freshly roasted coffee (assuming your current coffee comes from the grocery store).

If one is drinking preground coffee and adding cream and/or sugar then the taste difference might be minimal. Nothing wrong that approach as it should taste like regular coffee and can be quite good, but it is not the same as drinking some fresh Ethiopian Harrar brewed with the right method...which many of these different Aeropress recipes are trying to highlight. Though one can go too far with these single origins too, as some people find them to be too bright, earthy, etc, and getting too far away from the taste of regular coffee.

I might challenge you (in a friendly way of course) to do a side by side test and see if there is not some difference, even if you don't end up liking one method better than the other. To first do the test with your regular coffee drinking it black, and then repeat the test with some freshly roasted coffee (assuming your current coffee comes from the grocery store).

If one is drinking preground coffee and adding cream and/or sugar then the taste difference might be minimal. Nothing wrong that approach as it should taste like regular coffee and can be quite good, but it is not the same as drinking some fresh Ethiopian Harrar brewed with the right method...which many of these different Aeropress recipes are trying to highlight. Though one can go too far with these single origins too, as some people find them to be too bright, earthy, etc, and getting too far away from the taste of regular coffee.

Oh, I agree with your challenge wholeheartedly. I most certainly like the aeropress results (with all the prep, grinding, etc.) more than standard Maxwell house blue light special with milk and sugar. I would even say I like it better than grabbing a bag of preground Starbucks roasts with milk/sugar.

My comment merely suggested my palate is too simple to notice, all things being equal, the differences between a few degrees F water temp and "stirred vigorously for twenty seconds" vs. "steeped slowly for one minute then agitated for ten" (both of which I have found).

Again, to be perfectly honest, I found a world open up before me when utilizing my aeropress. It's simply the nuances between higher end recipes that have me doubting my palate's sophistication.

And that sad panda was a South Park reference:)

Used my Aeropress this AM after it sitting in a box for several months. Used beans from Buddy Brew- a roaster in the Tampa area. Beans were Peru Cajamarca- a fully washed and sun-dried bean from a higher altitude of around 1700 meters I have never tried these or any bean from Peru- no idea how it is supposed taste. Nonetheless, it tasted fantastic. Made me remember why the Aeropress is such a fantastic brewing device. Really brings out the distinct flavor profile of the beans. Now I rarely get exactly what is on the package/ website as far as the profile. But my palate has been slowly developing over the past 24 months of drinking and enjoying quality beans.

Plan on roasting a couple batches of greens on my Behmor tomorrow, will update the roasting thread. Not sure what greens I have, but it's been far too long since my last roast.

Cheers!

Anyone use it for iced coffee? Care to share your method/recipe?
I have seen where people will fill the Aeropress brewing chamber with ice and set their favorite pour over on top, allowing the hot brew to immediately be cooled down. I think this is a good technique, to channel the hot coffee over a taller column of ice, versus wider and shallower cup/pot filled with ice. The key is getting the ratio of ice to coffee correct. Is that the type of recipe you are considering, or more of a cold brew setup?

Top Bottom