What's new

Advice on a Multitool

I wouldn't recommend the Gerber Suspension. I have one and several of the tools are very difficult to open, the saw is too short to be any use, and both that and the knife are blunt. It certainly isn't a match for my Leatherman Wave. Granted, the Leatherman is twice the price, but it's also a lot more useful.

If you're on a budget and can manage without the pliers you may be better off with a Swiss army knife.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
the wave sure does look nice. lets say that's at the top end of the price range. what else fits between?

I have the original Leatherman and it works and has been working for 20+ years, easy to sharpen and use. Most useful tool for me when camping is the can opener and pliers. You can easily slip it into a pocket or wear on the belt.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Any thoughts on the leatherman blast?

chris.hale made a good point about the saw and i think having a file would be handy. don't think the gerber suspension has one.

SOG! I have been using them from the early 90's. My first one lasted 8 years when I sent it in for warrenty they sent me two in return. I used one of them for years before I upgraded to the EOD model. I still have the other two. One for home use one for outdoors the EOD get used on the flight line on a daily basis. Maybe a bit more expessive than your budget but ya get what ya pay for?

I have a Leatherman that's about 20 years old. I cannot remember the model name or number, but I chose one with longer, more narrow nose pliers. Other features were rather redundent, after all what can you say about screwdriver blades except for size. The saw is sharp as well as the two knife blades, although I rarely use them as I carry a pocketknife all the time. I keep it in a briefcase that goes whever I go, kind of a man purse, I do carry two pair of small, 4" vice grip pliers also, a couple of medical hemostats, charger for my I phone, a bottle of tylenol and advil, notepad, and a few not too common magazines, and a I pad. I do relief pharmacy work and spend long days away from home and sometimes find a few basic tools handy. When I was full time in a local hospital, the leatherman saved me from having to call maintaince for a minor problem and saved a bit of time.

My advice would be to choose one with features you would be most likely to use, and forget about a price point and get the best quality you can find. Quality tools are in my opinion safer than cheaper ones that are poorly made and of inferior quality material.

Last edited:
I had a cheap Gerber scout which only lasted about 1.5 years before I broke one end of the plier off. Then I bought a Gerber legend which has lasted since 2001 and is still a great tool. I have no idea what they sell for now; but in 2001 it cost me about $80.

I've had a few that "looked like a multitool" under $15. They are handy but not confidence inspiring in a bind. My Leatherman Wave destroys any of my cheapos in terms of both quality and actual utility - better angles for drivers, locking knives and saws, pliers that are stronger than a brick outhouse. You get the idea. Get any of the real ones and you will thank yourself and enjoy for years.

I've not handled a Leatherman Blast, but based on the Wave and PST II, both of which I own, I don't think you'll go wrong with one.

SOG have a good reputation too but I've no experience with them myself.

I picked up a Leatherman Wingman for $29 at Home Depot. It's got the Leatherman quality in it, which is very high, and has the basics: knife (half serrated), pliers, can/bottle opener, scissors, scissors, file, screwdriver.

Personally I would have preferred if they would have left off the scissors and had two knife blades (one non-serrated, one fully serrated), but that's probably just me being picky.

I have two original Leathermen and a Super leatherman. The originl leatherman is the one I carry all the time. It has just what I need and no more. The only thing I have done to it is file the small screwdriver/punch down to fit my eyeglasses screws.

My Super Leatherman Sits in a drawer unused because it has so much stuff that I never use. The saw is worthless(i can break a stick faster than I can saw it) and I really don't need a sissors, magnifying glass, and so on. While some people like a tool with everything but the kitchen sink on it, I just want what I will need on a day to day basis.

While there are lots of multi-tools out there, Leatherman still has the quality you can count on. Some may be better, but there are a lot of worse ones. You really don't want a tool that breaks when you need it most.

Here is mine, going on 20 years and still going strong.

Attachments

• $100_0273.jpg
    $100_0273.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 168

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Lots of good comments - I have had several multi-tools, since picking up the original Leatherman I don't know how many gristly decades ago. 20 years? I've had a Super Multi, and several small versions. Just my 2 cents, the original is about the right size if to be belt worn, where you won't have other tools handy. Some of the Supers are too big for my taste, mine sits in the very bottom of the vehicle console, last I recall using it was to use the pliers when a bottle cap opener couldn't be found ..

Seriously, the only big advantage in my usage for the multi-tool was having the pliers, otherwise a smaller Swiss Army suits my life. Think hard about a saw with a 2" blade .. the less stuff on the MT that is redundant to your normal pocket knife the less cost & weight ..

So unless you need to carry around pliers, the Multi Tools are a bit of a fashion accessory (compared to a Swiss Knife, which also can get ridiculously complex & overweight) for Tool Time types .. cool but of little added value or utility.

I did get a Gerber as a gift, no idea where it is now, but recall it seemed flimsy compared to the Leatherman

YMMV

Last edited:
I have the original Leatherman and it works and has been working for 20+ years, easy to sharpen and use. Most useful tool for me when camping is the can opener and pliers. You can easily slip it into a pocket or wear on the belt.

still have mine too. I don't use the blade at all. I have a Benchmade for that. 9100 on the clock, and 940 off the clock.

Last edited:
I have an old Leatherman Wave, one of the first generation. During the week I am city bound and so I don't carry it with me. Most weekends I live at my country place that I am building up for retirement, there are several acres in the Australian bush and there is always something to do, things to repair, etc.

Things I like about the Wave:
  • Drop point blade
  • Sheepsfoot serated blade
  • Saw
  • File
  • All knife blades and saw lock in place and cannot fold back when in use
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • Straight blade screwdriver (Mutiple sizes)
  • scissors that work
  • Long, narrow pliers (just great for removing Ticks)
  • Edges are rounded so when using the pliers you can apply pressure without sharp edges cutting into your hands (Important feature)

I guess when working with rope and twine on tasks that require constant cutting I prefer to just use an old Benchmade 556 but the Wave is usually somewhere near.

I still have my Leatherman from my Navy days. 15+ years old and it was used in more non conventional ways then what the manufacturer intended.

Leatherman Skeletool.

Great pliers.

Easy access knife.

EAsy access duel bit screwdriver.

Bottle opener.

You don't need any more than that close at hand.

Top Bottom