What's new

Advice needed to clean marker stain on shoes

I just picked up a pair of Cole Hahn loafers from the local Salvation Army Family store for the whopping price of $10. With some nice Saphir Cognac shoe polish and some elbow grease I think they will spruce up quite nicely.

My question is how to gently remove what looks like a black marker line on the shoe's surface.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Tim

Attachments

• 20190619_170407.jpg
    20190619_170407.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20190619_143615.jpg
    20190619_143615.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 12

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, I know that when I was a floor nurse I used to write notes on my hand, arm, etc. It came off magically with an alcohol pad. Even worked, with a little more effort, on felt tipped permanent ink. I even used it with great success on my scrubs, but permanent ink varied in its effectiveness.

Looks like you did well on those, even if the stain remains somewhat.

Thanks. What first caught my eye was the nice brown color. Then I saw they were my size, 10.5 M, and 50% off the $19.99 price tag.

Made the decision to pick them up an easy one. Will post pictures once I see if I can diminish the marker stain and give them a nice polishing.

Tim

Well, I have to say I am quite pleased with how the shoes turned out using my Saphir Cognac polish. The alcohol swab did a decent but not complete job of removing the magic marker stain. Certainly good enough to make the mark difficult to see unless you look real close. I took some pictures and was curious to see that the heel is stamped Nike Air. Is this some mash up between Cole Hahn and Nike?

Also, a rather curious coincidence is that I wore these loafers to work today to discover that the organization's CEO was wearing the exact same style and color of shoe. Although his heel looked a little smaller so maybe not a Cole Hahn but another manufacturer.

Tim
20190620_173308.jpg
20190620_173334.jpg
20190620_173407.jpg

Looks Great! Someone may correct me but I think I heard Cole Haan is owned by Nike. Might be completely wrong. Off to do some internet sleuthing.

From Wikipedia
Nike Inc. purchased Cole Haan in 1988. Nike announced on May 31, 2012, that it was divesting of Cole Haan and Umbro to focus on the Nike brand and other complementary brands.[2][3]

So I used to be correct lol

FWIW The original "Goof Off" was designed for removing Sharpie marker graffiti.
proxy.php

It works about like xylene or toluene.
I'd try a spot test under the strap first though.

Top Bottom