What's new

Advice for my beard style (can't grow hair on front chin)

Was hoping some people here could give me some good advice. In March I started growing my beard out and let it go for around 3 months before trimming and then totally shaving it off. The first two pics below are from around right before I shaved it.

As you can see I don't really grow much hair on my chin. It started coming in a bit towards the end before I shaved it but was still pretty bare.

Now I've started growing it again but going for a different look - I'm keeping the cheek line more curved and clean and also regularly trimming it. But I still have the chin issue.

I'm in my early 40s so I dont know how much more it will change as I age - so this is what I got to work with.

I guess I'm just looking for some style advice here. I would like to have a fuller beard - did I pull the plug too quick? It was a beard but a bit afro-y and was getting unpleasant. But maybe I didn't maintain properly and should have powered through?

On the other hand I do sort of like the tighter look too. Should I save the soul patch or let it keep going?

Looking for some critique and ideas.
Thanks!

20201006_235300.jpg
20201006_234959.jpg
20201006_233047.jpg
20201006_233112.jpg
20201006_233143.jpg

I think it looks pretty good sir.

Your goatee connects, it's not patchy. That's always good.

Only advice I have for you is, let it get like the 1st picture. Then if you want to trim it, don't trim the chin area, let it keep growing and see how it gets. Also, use a boar brush to "train" your beard by combing it down.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Let your soul patch grow out. Let it get long and thick. Then grow your beard. Or...do the Wolverine look...mustache grows down and connects with your chops...nothing on the chin at all.

Thanks - I know this is a matter of opinion, but do you think my beard style is better of as short and trimmed? Or do I have any potential for a slightly bushier look? The first pics are already after almost 3 months of no trimming.

Interesting about training it to grow down. I wish I had known that then!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think it looks pretty good sir.

Your goatee connects, it's not patchy. That's always good.

Only advice I have for you is, let it get like the 1st picture. Then if you want to trim it, don't trim the chin area, let it keep growing and see how it gets. Also, use a boar brush to "train" your beard by combing it down.

^^^ This!

I don't have a whole lot of growth on my chin either, but some selective trimming (thin on the sides, and fuller on the front) can make a big difference. Here's how I wore a full beard...

IMG_20161102_135716_edit.jpg

The chin area should thicken a little more. Especially if you let it get a little bushy. But there's nothing wrong with what you have now, so either way you're good.

I can't answer if you should let it get bushier or not. Instead, I'll give you this advice. Letting it get bushy takes a lot longer than trimming it. Easier too, just keep putting a trim off a week until you decide it's too long. If on a Tuesday you think may it might be time, hide your trimmers until next Tuesday and see what you think.

To make things that much easier for you 😉, the short trimmed look suits you. The shaggy first and second picture beard also works very well. So there's no wrong decision to make.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Even if nothing changes, John Rhys-Davies has had a very good career sporting a similar coverage beard, so it won't hold you back :biggrin1:

Agreed with all points above.

Should you choose to grow it back out, a beard balm & boar brush can help train those whiskers.

The short and trimmed look works well for you. You can have a thicker beard while maintaining the clean look by only running the trimmer with the beard grain.

Top Bottom