What's new

Advice for a 2nd razor?

What razor to get next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello everyone,

I've been using my Merkur 34C for over a year now, and I have noticed two small problems. 1) clogging is quite common, 2) blade is not evenly spaced out on each side.

I'm quite tired of it and would like to try out some new razors. I want to go ahead and try out an open comb razor. Any suggestions for a good first open comb?

In regards to closed comb, I'm not sure where to go next. I keep reading that the Rockwell 6s is a nice first adjustable razor... I also want to go for a vintage Gillette (fatboy or slim). I also learned about Lambda razors a few days ago... and I've signed up for the waitlist.

Any suggestions for a good first open comb?
Fatip piccolo would be my choice. I love mine. But my R41 is also great for 1 pass shaves if that’s your thing. Fatip is gentler.

In regards to closed comb, I'm not sure where to go next.
Razor reviews are so personal and for every one there’s love and hate. I would take my Rockwell 6S to a desert island for sure. Smooth, efficient, different plates to choose from.

But I love my slim as well (and all my vintages). A slim is also great because of adjustability. It’s a matter of preference between vintage and modern.

My recommendation? 1 modern and 1 vintage. Best of both worlds to play around. A 6S and a slim and I’d die happy.

The 34c is a very highly regarded razor. I think you should stay with it and not buy another razor.

Clogging is likely an issue with your lather. And there is no actual clogging like what happens with multiblade razors. Unless your lather is some sort of putty, the blade will contact the skin and whiskers will be cut, but you knew that already.

Uneven blade alignment, unless extreme, is a good thing. I shave regularly with a Yuma, which manifests significant uneven blade exposure. But this results in a close side and a closer side, like 2 razors in one. It’s handy.

It sounds like your real issue is boredom. Maybe deal with this in the nonshaving realm, or try a vintage Gillette or Schick. Vintage is a lot more interesting, and much less expensive. The Schick injector would spice things up. It’s an entirely different shaving experience. Try an E, G or J for the complete experience, and use only Chinese Schicks in the yellow package. Shave on!

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I don’t understand the love by so many for the Rockwell 6C/6S. It’s an anvil on a stick and even plate 6 is rather inefficient. There are much better razors out there. For your second razor, I suggest investing in a system. The RazoRock Game Changers and Lupos have many different plates. Maybe explore those.

The R41 is very direct but good to handle as long as you show respect.
It would force you to improve your technique quickly. After that you get exceptionally close shaves that can be very smooth.
But you have to get used to it.

The Rockwell 6s is very versatile and gives smooth shaves. It works for many people out if the box.

I would recommend one of these. If you consider any Mühle i recommend the grande handle.

Voted for both the Slim and Fatboy. I have the Slim and like it very much but some prefer the wider handle of the Fatboy. Can’t go wrong with either one.

As to your first OC razor, the Fatip Piccolo/Grande (only difference is the handle) or Gillette New SC (short comb) both shave great and won’t break the bank.

Keep in mind that the Fatips will often have minor blade alignment issues like your 34c. I don’t mind it too much though. My New SC doesn’t have any alignment issues and I prefer the way it shaves to the Fatip.

You could get both a Slim and either the Fatip or New SC for less than the 6s. That’s what I would do.

The 34c is a very highly regarded razor. I think you should stay with it and not buy another razor.

Clogging is likely an issue with your lather. And there is no actual clogging like what happens with multiblade razors. Unless your lather is some sort of putty, the blade will contact the skin and whiskers will be cut, but you knew that already.

Uneven blade alignment, unless extreme, is a good thing. I shave regularly with a Yuma, which manifests significant uneven blade exposure. But this results in a close side and a closer side, like 2 razors in one. It’s handy.

It sounds like your real issue is boredom. Maybe deal with this in the nonshaving realm, or try a vintage Gillette or Schick. Vintage is a lot more interesting, and much less expensive. The Schick injector would spice things up. It’s an entirely different shaving experience. Try an E, G or J for the complete experience, and use only Chinese Schicks in the yellow package. Shave on!

This is good advice, do you NEED or WANT Razor Number 2? v Think before answering.:letterk1:

I no longer have a 34C razor, but I had some success trimming some electrical heat shrink tubing and sliding the snipped bits onto the top cap posts to widen them a bit. This might be a good inexpensive fix. If this seems troublesome, I could recommend the Mühle R89 3 piece razor as a possible replacement. If you like how the 34C shaves and want a similar shave experience, the R89 (or Edwin Jagger DE89, which has the same head design as the R89) might be a good fit.

Rockwell 6S - not the best looking razor in the world, it's a bit industrial, but oh so smooth. Works very well with most blades I've ever used in it. I've learned to like it's clunky looks - it's only a tool after all, and a highly effective one.

I like an R41 but I didn't like it when I was first starting. It allows you to easily put the blade edge right on your skin (like you would with a straight razor) so it can give you a one pass shave that is very close - but it can also draw blood if not careful. The Fatip is an inexpensive and very good Open Comb that is not as aggressive as the R41.

I agree with the suggestion that clogging is not the fault of the 34C - you might just need to add more water to your lather. The uneven blade alignment with the 34C can be corrected pretty easily if you push the blade to one side (not the sharp edge of the blade - the blade tabs). Push one blade tab while tightening the cap down. Pushing it like this will cause those diamond shaped cutouts to center themselves on the posts.

1716739413835.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hello everyone,

I've been using my Merkur 34C for over a year now, and I have noticed two small problems. 1) clogging is quite common, 2) blade is not evenly spaced out on each side.

I'm quite tired of it and would like to try out some new razors. I want to go ahead and try out an open comb razor. Any suggestions for a good first open comb?

In regards to closed comb, I'm not sure where to go next. I keep reading that the Rockwell 6s is a nice first adjustable razor... I also want to go for a vintage Gillette (fatboy or slim). I also learned about Lambda razors a few days ago... and I've signed up for the waitlist.
I have 2 Athenas as I plan to pass them down to our sons when I exit the planet.

I don’t have an Ares, but I’m guessing I will one day.

For Vintage Gillette OC razors, I’m not sure you can do much better than the NEW long and short combs. I have one of each and they are brilliant. This is just one man’s opinion, of course.

For modern OCs, the Timeless 0.68OC would be a half step up in efficiency from your 34C. They aren’t cheap but man, are they wonderful.

I voted for a Gillette Slim. They're cheaper/easier to acquire than a Fatboy, and it will give you plenty of settings to keep the boredom at bay. On the serious side, the settings allow you to play around with everything from "mild as a Tech" to "fairly aggressive," showing you the range of shaves available with different blades.

I would NOT advise you to get a Muhle R41. It's a harsh, demanding razor that is mostly suited for getting rid of several days' growth. I'm looking at other OC options, myself, and will probably go for something like a Gillette NEW that is reported to be more of an option as a daily driver.

Regarding the blade alignment on your 34C. I have the same issue on mine. You simply have to adjust the blade on the pins with it partially clamped. Carefully hold the sides of the blade that are sticking out and simply move it into even alignment. That is usually enough to get it to stay even once I fully clamp it down. It's the same issue as on some other 3-pin razors, such as the Gillette Old Type. The 34C is a very old design, and more modern razors seem to have better QC on the pin size and placement to avoid this issue.

Top Bottom