What's new

Adventures of a Straight Razor greenhorn.

I think the concave one is for sharpening DE blades. Maybe the flat side is meant as a barber hone.
You are right on the money, the concave stone is for DE blades, tho I have only seen a few made from actual stone-mostly they come in glass, as glass was a popular honing material for DE blades during the Depression (and before). I also hear that some folks would hone DE blades inside a water glass.

Here is the James Rodgers Wedge. Well it's got a very slight hollow. I believe this is from around 1834. There is little info on James Rodgers out there. Horn scales, Razor does not close into the scales without wanting to cut the scales. The edge needs lots of work to be shave ready. The pitting is not as bad as it looks but the edge is quite dull. I'd rather keep the original scales, but I can't see keeping a sharp edge if it wants to close into the scales. Also, the horn is chipped around the pins so it may not hold up long term If I keep it as is.

$IMG_4437.jpg
$IMG_4439.jpg
$IMG_4440.JPG
$IMG_4442.JPG

I've been playing around with honing the razors, some seem to take an edge quicker than others, I'm sure a lot of it is technique. It's fun figuring it all out. I Don't want to ruin any of the razors so I'm taking it slow. As I sit here honing I think about fillet knives, how sharp they are and how the motion to fillet a fish doesn't seem that different than the motion used to shave. I don't clean fish, so I'll take comfort in the fact I don't know what I'm talking about.

Here is the Union Cutlery Spike I got from my co-worker. I've looked at others online and noticed that this one has jimps and the other's didn't. I'm curious if the jimping was added after the purchase. Perhaps it was a common service that was provided. This razor has a mild hollow grind and a nice patina. I assume the travel case that this was in is an after market purchase.
$IMG_4410.jpg

$IMG_4411.jpg

$IMG_4412.jpg

$IMG_4413.jpg

$IMG_4415.JPG

Hard to tell, but I would hazard a guess that the jimps were added by someone later on - maybe/probably with a dremel. But that's just a guess.

Definitely added afterwards. Rob is right.

That's a nice little wedge. Should hone up nicely. It looks like a well loved razor.

I was at a local small town pharmacy and picked up some William's Soap. I'd read some reviews on it and I knew it wasn't going to impress. But All I have to compare it to is the VHD soap. At $1 I'm sure It's no big deal if I hate it and at least I have something to compare the VHD soap to. Anyway Here is the Antoni Vandross Razor. It's a full hollow grind. and it does not close properly in the scales. Not a lot of info on this razor, best I can determine is its from around 1905.

I've been poking around the local pawn and antique stores. Pawn shops never have anything razor related, and the antique stores are way over priced, if they have anything. One store wanted $250 for a Tadross. It was a fancy razor, but that price is rediculous. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the pricing on straights at antique stores.

As always any additional info on any of my acquisitions is appreciated.
$IMG_4443.jpg

$IMG_4444.jpg

$IMG_4445.jpg

$IMG_4448.jpg

$IMG_4453.JPG

It looks like that razor has a bit of a frown, so it will need to be corrected to get her shave ready.

Once that happens, and it gets a nice little clean-up, that'll be a nice little shaver for you :thumbup:

I like the ornate design on the scales. It's a nice touch.

I've since cleaned up the razor, and sharpened it. I don't think there is a frown. I've looked at it under a microscope and there is still micro pitting on the bevel and edge. It will still shave, but for those wanting a perfect edge it would need more honing. This one is the worse of the bunch but has potential. The scales are interesting, I feel lucky to have it.

It must be the way the picture is that makes it look like a frown. No frown is a good thing. Good luck getting her cleaned up and ready to shave.

Top Bottom